Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Resin vessel issue?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

CMcB

Hi guys, looking for suggestions as to if this is an issue and if so, what the problem could be. I have double di set up, water is approx 105 going into the first vessel, coming out at 8. Then after the second vessel its currently at 2. In my mind it should still be at 0 because the input to the second vessel is still low. Any ideas? Are the vessels needing replaced? 

The vessels are both  10.5L. And I've double checked the readings from the inline test meter with a hand held one. 

Hi guys, looking for suggestions as to if this is an issue and if so, what the problem could be. I have double di set up, water is approx 105 going into the first vessel, coming out at 8. Then after the second vessel its currently at 2. In my mind it should still be at 0 because the input to the second vessel is still low. Any ideas? Are the vessels needing replaced? 

The vessels are both  10.5L. And I've double checked the readings from the inline test meter with a hand held one. 
You are running a double DI setup where an RO system would be best suited because of your high TDS reading.

Are you sure that both vessels are filled correctly with the riser and seals free from resin beads which can cause a bypass effect, how much resin are you using on a monthly basis and how long does it last you ?

Thanks for the response. RO is not a good option for me, had a 4040 for a year. it's easier, and surprisingly more cost effective for me to use double di, even when going through resin this quickly. 

I refill one resin vessel every 1200L....approximately. that's about every week. 

Both vessels are filled correctly, as far as I know. Been doing this a few years so not new. No leaks, the o-rings on both still work and the risers seem to be fine.

Thanks for the response. RO is not a good option for me, had a 4040 for a year. it's easier, and surprisingly more cost effective for me to use double di, even when going through resin this quickly. 

I refill one resin vessel every 1200L....approximately. that's about every week. 

Both vessels are filled correctly, as far as I know. Been doing this a few years so not new. No leaks, the o-rings on both still work and the risers seem to be fine.
Do you have a short hose between the DI's also check your fill hose and any tubing for contamination or mould growth 

Thanks @doug atkinson I looked and it's not oval shaped, it's round. It's the same as when I got it. 

I'm giving it a good clean before filling it with resin tomorrow. The riser tube sits in the head, I'm not sure how it wouldn't be sitting properly

Swop the internals (DI Head/ Riser) and see if you get the same readings from the resin.

If not them you know there is an issue.

After you filling with enough resin

Give your di vessels a shake when filling.

I use double di, but I use a 15litre di at the tap, that seemed to help reduce the tds better, my tds is usually about 88ppm n I get about 3 months out of a bag, I use a 400litre tank, but dont use it all in a day.

I honestly can't see how running double di with a tap tds of 105ppm is more cost effective you are no doubt spending £500+ a year on resin alone over 10 years that's 5k there is no way on this earth that the purchase and running costs of an R/O would amount to 5k unless of course you are on a water meter and would be getting hammered on what's metered 

Are you sure your tds meter is not faulty? Dirt on the prongs or in the cap etc
Thanks for the response, I've checked with 2 separate tds meters, both reading the same. It's unlikely that both off by the same amount. 

Ive cleaned some of the system and made extra sure the riser is positioned correctly. (Thanks @Apw1210 and @doug atkinson) I'll find out next week  if the resin is lasting as long as it should be. 

@Iron Giant its not so much the cost of producing the water as the time it takes. I'm in a flat and can't park the van next to the water source and leave it for an hour and a half unattended (it's not a parking space) It takes half an hour to fill the tank by double di. At least an extra hour to fill it by ro. If it costs me €15 (overestimate) on resin each day, I can earn more than €15 an hour actually cleaning windows then stop work at the same time. The other alternative would be to move into a house and have a static system.  The cost of renting a house as near my work as I am currently, would be a lot more than €300 a month more than what we pay just now.

Thanks for the response, I've checked with 2 separate tds meters, both reading the same. It's unlikely that both off by the same amount. 

Ive cleaned some of the system and made extra sure the riser is positioned correctly. (Thanks @Apw1210 and @doug atkinson) I'll find out next week  if the resin is lasting as long as it should be. 

@Iron Giant its not so much the cost of producing the water as the time it takes. I'm in a flat and can't park the van next to the water source and leave it for an hour and a half unattended (it's not a parking space) It takes half an hour to fill the tank by double di. At least an extra hour to fill it by ro. If it costs me €15 (overestimate) on resin each day, I can earn more than €15 an hour actually cleaning windows then stop work at the same time. The other alternative would be to move into a house and have a static system.  The cost of renting a house as near my work as I am currently, would be a lot more than €300 a month more than what we pay just now.
With regard to double di, some have both vessels in the van and purify on demand. This means they can quickly fill their tank with ordinary tap water and purify the water as they are cleaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tulsion, from sureclean. I have had this bag for a year now. Though only just opened it. 
There's a possibility that due to the time you've had the bag it's been damaged by humidity or light. Resin has from what I've seen a production date and lifespan and can degrade and expire it's purity, just my opinion 

Tulsion, from sureclean. I have had this bag for a year now. Though only just opened it. 
Will be okay. If you take some resin out of the vessel and put it into a paper cup eg: Costa Coffee cup, then put a small pin ***** in the bottom of the cup.  Pour in some water from the second vessel and wait until the drips are slow then catch some in your TDS meter cap and measure. If it comes out as zero then your vessel has an issue.

After my 5 day hidalgo n this thread I thought I'd better check my resin ppm.

Tap 80ppm

After 15litre vessel 9ppm

After 11litre vessel 1ppm

I changed my tulsion 3 weeks ago, I bought this bag in March, its been stored in my garage safely.

Ii turned my water pressure down and its just flowing, so not on hard.  

After my 5 day hidalgo n this thread I thought I'd better check my resin ppm.

Tap 80ppm

I changed my tulsion 3 weeks ago, I bought this bag in March, its been stored in my garage safely.

With your dodgy TDS meter ? 

When i change resin it almost jumps to 002 straight away also. It then stays there for ages, slowly rising to 3/4ppm after lots of water use, then after 4 i will keep a eye on it because it rises fast, and change at around 7/8, i thought this was the norm tbh?

Maybe u could do it the other way around, fill the van tank full of tap water, then use a 24v booster pump (2x 12v batts in series = 24v) into a R.O (A FASTER HF5 OR MERLIN) then into DI, reel, then pole? I think around 4lpm at the brush head would give enough flow. Looking into this method could save u a lot on resin.

I think you can do it this way, or something along these lines? just a idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
After my 5 day holiday n this thread I thought I'd better check my resin ppm.

Tap 80ppm

I have a genuine TDS meter which I dropped the bottom container in my tank. Then bought another which has worked well for 2-3 years, no issue.   So I tested water with genuine meter. Same issue 1 ppm After two vessels with 3 wk old tulsion resin.

Back