Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Reverse osmosis se up

WCF

Help Support WCF:

WombatPool

I’m about to set up a brand new Streamline 300 GPD reverse osmosis with small DI vessel into my garage, well I say about to I actually tried yesterday but one of the connecting elbows had a crack so you can imagine water was leaking everywhere. I made a quick call to the supplier (cleaning warehouse) and they have sent a new piece which should arrive today or tomorrow..
It says in the information leaflet that came with the unit the TDS will improve over 24-48 hours.. So I’m guessing I just connect up and turn on the mains tap and leave the RO running until it starts producing pure water - and run all of the water it’s producing in the 24-48 hour period to waste? Does that sounds right? I’m guessing I have probably answered my own question but thought I’d still ask… thanks guys… Dan

Thanks Part Timer the TDS straight out the tap is about 225ppm. Hopefully the RO can strip most of that out and what you said makes perfect sense, if it’s below 20 I’ll stick it straight through the DI. If not I’ll wait until it’s 20ppm before sticking through the DI..
I guess I asked the question because it seems a waste letting 24 hours of running water go straight down the drain.
Thanks mate I’ll keep an eye on things and let you know how it goes.

I’m totally new to window cleaning I’ve got most of the kit I’m gonna jump in at the deep end knocking doors all day we’ll see how I get on…

My elbow joint arrived this afternoon so I wasted no time in setting up the system, and after flushing a little it looks like I’ll be alright to go straight to DI, which is handy. Thanks for your advice much appreciated.. I’m in east Devon not too far from Exeter. I’m literally days away from my first day on the glass starting from scratch. I have business cards, public liability, Facebook page almost complete, all the kit for WFP, ect.. now it’s just down to me….
E3CE7BC1-E9C0-488D-A28E-9F0F30D4570A.jpeg

That’s not far from me either..
Maybe if I come unstuck a little along the way I could give you a shout and come see how you work ect? It would be good to spend a day or two with an experienced window cleaner.. I’m new to the game I’ve been gleaning as much info from here and YouTube for a while now, I have it all in theory…I think…I just need to get out there and put all into practice and to be honest with you, I can’t wait !

That’s that idea out the window then :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for help mate my tank is almost full now, although the ppm after DI is reading 1ppm where as earlier it was 0. I’m guessing that’s nothing to worry about.

It’s strange I’m getting 1ppm from the digital inline TDS meter, which was reading 0 earlier, but when I test the same water with the handheld tester it’s reading 0 ? Not sure which is most accurate. I’ve made about 500 litres so far, hopefully the DI last a little while longer yet ??

I will slow the water down and shake the DI !!

05CD3A6A-E120-4BAE-B1B5-78240A16B7E5.png

Just re read the thread. I would guess the 300gpd RO system has a very small DI tube, probably 1 litre. I started with a little 150gpd RO with a tube DI and my TDS in was about 200tds, so fairly similar to yours. My tap pressure is only about 30psi so production was very slow (I think about 60mins for 25lts of pure), I added a booster and it more than doubled the speed of pure production.
If I remember correctly my little RO's output tds was about 2 TDS before the resin so I didn't use the resin as 2tds was fine to clean with.

A couple of tips:
Clean your own windows many many times as you can go indoors and see if you are missing corners etc. Stand in different places to clean each window, i.e. as if there where flower beds in the way (stand further away) stand off centre to the window etc.
Once you are confident on your own windows ask family/friends if you can clean theirs to practice.
Don't worry about speed, first cleans will be slow and use more water, you will get faster as you go.
Don't be tempted to price low because you think you don't have experience as it's more difficult to raise prices later.

Read as much as possible on here and take lots of notes as different people have different opinions and ways of working.

It’s strange I’m getting 1ppm from the digital inline TDS meter, which was reading 0 earlier, but when I test the same water with the handheld tester it’s reading 0 ? Not sure which is most accurate. I’ve made about 500 litres so far, hopefully the DI last a little while longer yet ??

I will slow the water down and shake the DI !!

View attachment 27503
The handheld TDS meter looks like a cheapy one that might not be good. Have a look at a reputable supplier for a tds meter like DAQua - something like an EC-3. There are lots of fakes on the likes of Amazon and ebay!

That’s that idea out the window then :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for help mate my tank is almost full now, although the ppm after DI is reading 1ppm where as earlier it was 0. I’m guessing that’s nothing to worry about.
We change resin when it hits 5ppm and do a lot of 3 monthly work and it's fine. I didn't read the original post properly and didn't realise you had such a small DI. Our inline meter always reads higher then our hand held.

Some really good tips there thanks I will take it all on board ched!
The hand held meter is a cheap one from Amazon I bought a couple weeks ago I’ll look into buying a better one.
The TDS after RO and before DI is coming out at 15-16ppm. Does that sound too high ?
Water pressure is 70 psi at the tap. I’m not at home now but when I get in I’ll definitely try the couple things you suggested.

I got home and it was still reading 1ppm after DI… so I took the resin out and gave it a good shake…put back in and now it’s reading 4ppm on the in-line meter, also 4 on the handheld… I got about 550 litres of pure water made so far. I think I’m going to bite the bullet and order a larger DI?? This 1 litre definitely seems too small for task at hand if it’s rising after a few hundred litres ?? Teething problems but I’ll get it sorted one way or another

Right first off I hope you don’t mind all these newbie questions but I tested my water again this morning after switching off the system all night, and after the initial surge of higher ppm it’s now sat after DI at 2ppm. It’s obviously starting to rise but I read lots of comments saying some still clean with a ppm reading of up to 10. I know 5ppm seems to be the average that most will push it. So I’m guessing I should just crack on filling the rest of my tank as I’m only reading 2ppm.
Would you in my case order a larger DI vessel ?? Say 11 litre. I know I’ll obviously use the same amount of resin over all but a bigger vessel would decrease the amount of changes and keep 0ppm readings for longer. Plus the disposable 1 litre cartridges I’m using now would probably cost more if I need to change them every 1000 litres or so, or most likely a lot less … I’ve noticed the 11 litre DI vessels are fitted with hose lock attachments for pipe - the pipe from my RO is 1/4” so if I have to buy new fittings to connect my small pipe to larger ‘hose’ size pipe…will I lose pressure or will the new larger DI still work ok even though it’s being fed water from a smaller 1/4” pipe. (Before the fittings)
Thanks all maybe one day I’ll be able to help others on here
Thanks again
Dan

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back