Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ro problem

WCF

Help Support WCF:

We always have to ask for more detail as you haven't provided much.

What r/o have you fitted?
What's your tap water pressure?
If it's a larger r/o, e.g. a 4040, how much water flow do you have at the tap?
What's the tds of your tap water?
What is the tds of the pure leaving the r/o before the di vessel?
What is your pure to waste ratio when filtering water?

@carpergaz I only use a small RO but mine goes in at around 260-270 from the tap and comes out around 12 or 13 I think. It does take a little while to come down though when new membranes and/or filters are fitted. How is it after it's been on for a little while?

We always have to ask for more detail as you haven't provided much.

What r/o have you fitted?
What's your tap water pressure?
If it's a larger r/o, e.g. a 4040, how much water flow do you have at the tap?
What's the tds of your tap water?
What is the tds of the pure leaving the r/o before the di vessel?
What is your pure to waste ratio when filtering water?
It's a 4040 ro tap water 300 + never tested the water pressure water in tank after resin 20+ before it hits resin it was 80 then went 65 somehow I'm new to this tbh .when I put new ro in I never flushed it either ?

I think you need to give it a flush for about 20 minutes then try again.

What membrane did you fit? Was it sealed before you fitted it and did you remove the plastic film it should have been wrapped in? Don't laugh, it's happened.

Our tap water tds is +-125ppm. Our water pressure is 50 psi and freeflow water from the back tap is 13 lpm. When my HF5 membrane was new, I was producing just on 1.9 litres of pure to about 2.2 litres of waste per minute or approx 45% pure to 55% waste.

At 300ppm I would imagine your waste to pure ratio should be around 2 to 3 litres of waste to 1 litre of pure, but this all depends on your water pressure and membrane make and variant.

I think you need to give it a flush for about 20 minutes then try again.

What membrane did you fit? Was it sealed before you fitted it and did you remove the plastic film it should have been wrapped in? Don't laugh, it's happened.

Our tap water tds is +-125ppm. Our water pressure is 50 psi and freeflow water from the back tap is 13 lpm. When my HF5 membrane was new, I was producing just on 1.9 litres of pure to about 2.2 litres of waste per minute or approx 45% pure to 55% waste.

At 300ppm I would imagine your waste to pure ratio should be around 2 to 3 litres of waste to 1 litre of pure, but this all depends on your water pressure and membrane make and variant.
Do you open the waste to full to flush and thanks for your help

Membranes are coated with chemicals which need to be flushed out. Some take couple of hours some 24 hours.
This is interesting and you have mentioned this before. 11 years ago when I first fitted my HF5 membrane, I flushed it for a few minutes and then started using it. My r/o was virtually producing at a rejection rate of 98% after that. It was a good thing as we had a school to clean, and no water left in our IBC tank.

Over time, the manufacturers must be using different preserve chemicals to what they did.

@carpergaz I only use a small RO but mine goes in at around 260-270 from the tap and comes out around 12 or 13 I think. It does take a little while to come down though when new membranes and/or filters are fitted. How is it after it's been on for a little while?
Still not coming down from 70 when I open waste right open it goes up to over 100 then when I drop it to about 50/50 it goes 70 but no lower .could the ro be wrong way round

Would a ro still bring water down if in wrong way round ?still can't get lower than 70 coming out of ro turned waste up full goes up 100+ turn down waste 50/50 goes 70ish turn down waste more goes up ?

No it wouldn’t. If you have put it the wrong way round don’t put it back in the right way as it will damage it as have done that before. You will see an o ring take that out and put it the other end. Try that I think it should work.

This the ro had it out put bk in still reading 70 before hitting the resin TDs on tap water 220 think I need to test water pressure any ideas ?

Attachments

• PXL_20230807_132434844.jpg
    PXL_20230807_132434844.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 17
You need to go back to where you bought that from so they can solve. No one on here can solve it as there could be a number of issues which your supplier needs to sort.

They look like that
Really all the ones I have had have come with a plastic film on them that you have to remove then the material of the membrane is un covered ?.I have never seen a membrane ready for use with the makers name or written details on the membrane , obviously you are the expert in this area but it doesn’t look right to me .

Really all the ones I have had have come with a plastic film on them that you have to remove then the material of the membrane is un covered ?.I have never seen a membrane ready for use with the makers name or written details on the membrane , obviously you are the expert in this area but it doesn’t look right to me .
They come in a plastic bag which is vacuum sealed. There is always a label on the membranes. There is a shiny layer on the top but that hold the membrane sheet in place. Where are you getting yours with no labels on.

They come in a plastic bag which is vacuum sealed. There is always a label on the membranes. There is a shiny layer on the top but that hold the membrane sheet in place. Where are you getting yours with no labels on.
Varitech , and years ago Ionic’s when they used the champ housing , now have filmtech membranes and they don’t have any plastic on them you remove that before fitting them , having said that we dont replace them very frequently as tds is so low here they last around 7-9 years or so ??

I've spoke to supplier gonna send bk and there sending a new one why they test it if it works at there warehouse there saying it could be the housing not sealed up but I think it looks good

Latest Posts

Back