Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Safety and exploding poles

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yes they are a very good pole , heavier than the extreme but stiffer and better in a breeze 

I do all the commercial work for the company at the moment but fingers crossed and toes and arms my next franchisee will take the commercial work from me. I would give him an extreme 47 and ultimate then let him decide. 

I do all the commercial work for the company at the moment but fingers crossed and toes and arms my next franchisee will take the commercial work from me. I would give him an extreme 47 and ultimate then let him decide. 

I had both the extreme is a nice pole but we do a couple of 6-8 storey hotels and found the extreme way to whippy at this height , so sold it and bought the ultimate it’s far more ridged and surprisingly very good in a breeze and more controllable , but it’s a bit heavier after a mornings work Ime quite happy to pass it over to the staff ??

I used to clean gutters by hand on a house with wires at gutter level was always a bit cautious . Owner decided to have new facias bloke doing job accidently touched wires and it threw him off ladder but was ok . Think if there are that many wires near house as in picture I would drop the job rather be a few pounds lighter in my pocket than a few more pounds in undertakers pocket .

Jeez, looking at that picture really brings home the reality of what can happen.

Glad your guy is ok.

A bloke in my road got electrocuted and died in our local bakery last week.

He stood on a bun and the current ran up his leg.

Sorry ?

This is a great thread. It really brings home the need to be safety conscious at all times. Even a momentary lapse can be disastrous.

I don't do any commercial work but have seen a few dodgy installations of exterior lighting on some of my customers properties that I've stayed well clear of. 

Not to take away from the seriousness of this topic, but you're a real live wire Steve. Heard that joke in school, but still didn't see it coming. Made me ? though

Definitely a need to be careful.

When the cables run down the street overhead, if the cables are above one another touching two can be 400v.

Be especially careful around farms and factories, where the cables run next to eachother horizontally that is 11000v/33000v

Yes, all sections are as they are carbon inside and fibreglass layer outside.

Yikes! I've heard of fibreglass poles splintering and leaving the users with hands full of splinters. Does that happen with the CLX? - I didn't realise it had fibreglass. I've not had any problems yet but now I'm (probably wrongfully) getting a bit worried!

Think if there are that many wires near house as in picture I would drop the job rather be a few pounds lighter in my pocket than a few more pounds in undertakers pocket .

Yeah I think I'd rather turn the job away too.

All these conspiracies going around on the internet these days, elvis not dead, 9/11 attack pre planned, major world government elections rigged & now carbon poles conducting electricity ?

The weight side doesn't bother me, once you can handle the flex then you can use it to your benefit. It also doesn't need as much maintenance and I've found that the clamps don't need tightening up, as much. The SLX clamps always seem to come undone and then the pole spins. 

That is strange as the clamps and clamp mechanism is exactly the same on both poles ?

Usually clients find that the SLX will outlast the CLX due to the harder carbon as opposed to the softer fibreglass.

SLX are rock solid. I think it's a common misconception that they need to be mollycoddled.

I've had mine ages.

I bought a new clamp for it 6 years ago

Last edited by a moderator:
That is strange as the clamps and clamp mechanism is exactly the same on both poles ?

Usually clients find that the SLX will outlast the CLX due to the harder carbon as opposed to the softer fibreglass.
I've had 3 CLX poles and very rarely tighten the clamps. My only SLX clamps, especially the first section, has to be tightened daily, sometimes more often. You also don't have to clean it as often and don't get black finger with the CLX. 

Back