Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Setting up dual DI need some info.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

With some resins on the market with your input pm into a 7 litre DI Vessel it will not bring the ppm down as they are not a strong base resin. This is from feedback of people with high ppm who have used these resins. If you slow your flow rate down it will then work hopefully. 

At your ppm input I would advise using a 11 litre and above as you need a more resin as the resin then has more capacity deal with the exchange of your high ppm.

You should look into an R/O system as you will get around 5000 litres with your ppm so will cost a fair bit in resin.
Yeah, I mean I do have a 11ltr Di it worked fine for a while on it's own I recently got the 7ltr DI just as an insurance to give the water a final polish.

Are you saying I should have 2 11ltr vessels? I can't really afford an RO system at this stage.

Thought I would leave some pictures here for you guys to see the problem I'm dealing with.

I just cleaned the window internal and external and waited for it to dry and this is the result. Clearly something wrong with my water still even with the new vessel attached. 

20200831_174004.jpg

20200831_173814.jpg

Looking at the DI Vessel I think you have it set up wrong. Which is going into your tank?
The black hose is the one connected to the tank, the water goes through the 11 litre di and then through the 7 litre. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "going into the tank" it's just tap water that goes into my tank. That is supposed to be purified as it comes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
The black hose is the one connected to the tank, the water goes through the 11 litre di and then through the 7 litre. 

I'm not sure what you by "going into the tank" it's just tap water that goes into my tank. That is supposed to be purified as it comes out.
Always best to purify water going in to the tank, then at least you know you have a tank full of pure to start the day off with.

Always best to purify water going in to the tank, then at least you know you have a tank full of pure to start the day off with.
Yeah I have thought about this and may invest in a larger di just for the tap. However I've never had a problem with my water until now, it's always been perfect. I imagine the resin would last longer if I was filling up with pure water though.

This tank is rather inconvenient, there is no way to flush the old water out if anyone has any ideas how I can remove all the old water and start with fresh I would really appreciate it. 

Yeah I have thought about this and may invest in a larger di just for the tap. However I've never had a problem with my water until now, it's always been perfect. I imagine the resin would last longer if I was filling up with pure water though.

This tank is rather inconvenient, there is no way to flush the old water out if anyone has any ideas how I can remove all the old water and start with fresh I would really appreciate it. 
Just pump it out and re fill with pure , the small amount left in the tank once diluted with pure should be ok , just check the TDS , before use 

Just pump it out and re fill with pure , the small amount left in the tank once diluted with pure should be ok , just check the TDS , before use 
Thanks, yeah it seems this is my only option really, since I dont have a new tank for the tap right now I'll remove the smaller vessel and pump the water through that to fill the tank up, then reassemble everything afterwards. 

I'll wait for my new resin to come first, if I don't achieve a 00 reading at that point then I just don't know what to do.

When I bought this kit they didn't tell me any of this, they said it's perfectly fine to fill with tap water if you're in a soft water area, which I am. You live and learn I suppose.

When I bought this kit they didn't tell me any of this, they said it's perfectly fine to fill with tap water if you're in a soft water area, which I am. You live and learn I suppose.
They are not wrong, this is what I have done for the past 2 years with no problems. the key is to make sure that you're di vessels are working and the resin is still good, then there won't be any problems if you filter the water going into the tank or going out of the tank.  I would strongly suggest getting an inline TDS Meter, preferably  a double one if your tap water is prone to fluctuate.

Ok thanks, I think I'll go ahead with the unger resin and keep an eye on the stocks of the tulsion and just grab a bag when I can for the next time I need to change. Ordering a HM digital meter as well, will post my readings after it's all sorted.

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it. 
It’s in stock at Palmer trade supplies. Did you not see the post???

It’s in stock at Palmer trade supplies. Did you not see the post???
You sent me a screenshot of the resin, it didn't say anything about being in stock. A little context would have been helpful. Thanks anyway.

They are not wrong, this is what I have done for the past 2 years with no problems. the key is to make sure that you're di vessels are working and the resin is still good, then there won't be any problems if you filter the water going into the tank or going out of the tank.  I would strongly suggest getting an inline TDS Meter, preferably  a double one if your tap water is prone to fluctuate.
Ok so do you filter your water going into the tank as well as coming out?  I'm not sure how I can fit a inline tds metre on this setup.

You sent me a screenshot of the resin, it didn't say anything about being in stock. A little context would have been helpful. Thanks anyway.

Ok so do you filter your water going into the tank as well as coming out?  I'm not sure how I can fit a inline tds metre on this setup.
Fair point. But it didn’t say out of stock either. 

If the water in the tank is pure then there is no need to filter it coming out. I suspect most of us only put pure in our tanks.

I only filter coming out of the tank. So your setup should work, if the resin is good.

Ok so my new TDS meter came today and it makes for interesting reading.

My tap water is reading 145ppm 

And my pure water is reading 10ppm with both vessels attached.

The reading from inside the tank is 168ppm

I decided to test each vessel individually and my results were exactly the same with either vessel on it's own it reads 11ppm with both of them together it drops a whopping 1 ppm to 10.

This leads me to believe the resin I have been issues with in the 7ltr DI is either the wrong type or simply a garbage brand it makes no difference at all.

I will be changing the resin in both vessels for the new unger resin when that arrives and hopefully that will fix my water situation. 

I decided to test each vessel individually and my results were exactly the same with either vessel on it's own it reads 11ppm with both of them together it drops a whopping 1 ppm to 10.

This leads me to believe the resin I have been issues with in the 7ltr DI is either the wrong type or simply a garbage brand it makes no difference at all.

I will be changing the resin in both vessels for the new unger resin when that arrives and hopefully that will fix my water situation. 
Do you know what brand resin it was!

You need an RO mate..

Latest Posts

Back