Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Shed lovers!!!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Pears..grate em..squeeze all juice out through some cloth ..add boiled water that has cooled a bit all in a big bucket add yeast and then you have pear cider (perry)in a couple of weeks
now I'm up for that, measures needed please.

see we gotta a little brewers club starting....but of course we use the windys bucket and pure water....and stir with an old blade....drain through a scrim....keep it going....or else gav will be after us for drifting off topic..

yep with you cheers....we can always name it...windys brew...

bloody pears keep hitting me on the head when i walk down the garden...i gonna smash em with a nice lump hammer...payback time...

Brewers yeast

Make it in a big bucket with a lid for pear wine type drink

Or bottle it and let it keep fermenting and is like sparkling pear champagne

Just watch for exploding bottles

Pear Wine Recipe

Makes One Gallon

Ingredients

4 pounds pears

6 pints water

4 cups sugar

2 1/2 teaspoons acid blend

2 teaspoons pectic enzyme

1 teaspoon yeast nutrient

1 Campden tablet, crushed

1 package wine yeast (good for up to 5 gallons)

Get all wine making kit from Wilkinsons for about 12 quid and follow instructions with the kit

Need to play around with sweetness etc but is a good way to start

Will be about 3 months wait if you want good tasting stuff not just something alcoholic

Pears..grate em..squeeze all juice out through some cloth ..add boiled water that has cooled a bit all in a big bucket add yeast and then you have pear cider (perry)in a couple of weeks
The secret is always add an orange and a tea bag at the boiling water stage.

I agree with @mrtaytay that rhubarb wine is the best

Leave it long enough and it is like a nice dry red

I actually prefer it to shop bought grape wine

Banana is my favourite, dog food the worse, been making wine over 20 years and tried everything including some pretty rank stuff lol

Making Wine For Very Little Money

Here’s some instruction on how to make alcoholic drinks, at home, without the need for many expensive utensils or ingredients. The drink may taste a little rough to some, but I personally don’t like the taste of many ales, or expensive shop bought wines anyway. Booze is what you drink to get drunk or release you from inhibitions, if you don’t like the effects of alcohol you can stick to soft drinks or tea/coffee instead. These instructions are for cheap, plentiful strong booze and I make no apologies for that, in fact if you follow the instructions carefully you may end up with a lot of palatable bottles of wine to share with like minded friends. You will also notice that the lack of chemicals in these drinks prevent you from getting a hangover too. The drinks may taste slightly sharper and look clearer if you add lots of noxious chemicals-but I don’t like it that way, so we’ll get on with the task of making traditional booze, as mankind used to prior to fortifying it with toxins to make it look and smell nicer.

You don’t need much equipment, but you will need the following to make a gallon of my wine, so don’t be a cheapskate…get hold of these items before you start:

A one gallon glass demi-john (buy on line or try your local council tip shop or charity shop).

A bung and air lock to fit the demi john (really cheap on ebay)

One packet of wine yeast. I use “ 5 grammes of Youngs high alcohol wine yeast” available from Ebay for little money. Do not try using bread yeast for this.

A sauce pan or cooking pot that can hold just over a gallon (or use two ½ gallon pans)

Some house hold bleach (not toilet/surface cleaner just cheap bleach)

A clean funnel to pour liquids into the demijohn (you could make one by cutting a pop bottle in half)

A sharp vegetable knife

3 lbs of sugar (the usual type you put into tea and coffee)

3 lbs of potatoes, or marrow, or bananas, or melon, edible mushrooms, etc

A tea bag

An orange

A cooker or stove

And that’s about all you need, so get these things together, you may be able to borrow a big saucepan, if not use several smaller ones-it’s just that a gallon pan makes life easier.

The method, getting started.

For ease I’ll tell you how to use potatoes for making wine, exactly the same principle applies for any of the other ingredients mentioned.

Fill your demi-john with 25% bleach and water, let it stand for 10 minutes then wash it out several times with clean water, Do the same with the air lock and bung. This will kill any harmful yeasts or bacteria. After washing them out well you should not have any smell of bleach from them. Put clean water into the airlock and put it into the empty demi john to keep it clean for now.

Peel the potatoes, rinse them under the tap then slice them up and put them in the pan with the sugar and enough water to fill the pan. Cut the orange in half and chuck that in as well as the tea bag. Bring it all to the boil and let it simmer until the potatoes are cooked, but not for so long that the potatoes start to dissolve into the water. Then let all the ingredients cool right down to body temperature.

Using the funnel pour the cool liquid from your pan into the demi-john. Don’t let any solid food material, tea bag, orange, etc go into the demi –john. (you could use a sieve if you have one, but clean it with bleach and rinse well as you did with the other things first).

Add half the packet of wine yeast to the now almost full demi-john, fit the bung and airlock (which should have clean water in it) and stand the demijohn somewhere where the temperature if again about body temperature and not anywhere that the temperature fluctuates too badly.

The mixture in the jar will start to froth and bubble a lot within the first hour to 2 day stage. It may start to froth out of the airlock and spread sticky liquid down the side of the jar, so put it somewhere that it won’t damage anything, or stand it on an old towel, newspapers, etc.

If froth comes out of the airlock rinse it out, add fresh water to the airlock and replace it. Keep this up for a couple of days, it will soon calm down to a gentle bubble from the airlock after the 2 day stage.

Now you can forget about the mixture for about a month, gradually the bubbles from the airlock will get slower.

After a month your booze should be looking slightly clearer in the jar and you’ll see a layer of debris settle to the bottom of the jar. You need to separate this layer from the liquid.

To do this you could try pouring the liquid off the sediment, back into your pan, or better still get yourself a siphon pipe (1 metre of 6mmm diameter clear plastic pipe is ideal-clean it as you did everything else before use) Put the demi-john up higher than you pan and suck gently on the hose to siphon the liquid-but don’t suck up any of that sediment, you will be throwing that bit away.

Rinse the demi-john out removing all the sediment and funnel the booze from the pan back into the demi john. Refit the airlock and bung (with some clean water in it) and leave for another month.

At the two month stage you can remove any more sediment that has formed in the same way you did before.

You can now sample your booze, or leave it for a few more months at which time it will be even better.

Very helpfull for beginners @Diwrnach

I have made booze all sorts of ways

Elderflower in a bucket or pear the same way

Boil it the same and then pour in to a big brewers type bucket with a lid and add the yeast

Fit the lid loosely and put somewhere warm for a couple of weeks and it is drinkable..a few weeks more is better

Or bottle and leave to carry on fermentation

Prone to exploding if not using decent bottles..old grolsch bottles are good

Clean properly and put in hot oven for 5 minutes to sterilise

Very helpfull for beginners @DiwrnachI have made booze all sorts of ways

Elderflower in a bucket or pear the same way

Boil it the same and then pour in to a big brewers type bucket with a lid and add the yeast

Fit the lid loosely and put somewhere warm for a couple of weeks and it is drinkable..a few weeks more is better

Or bottle and leave to carry on fermentation
Sounds like prison hooch, we have done that as well, they use tomatoes ketchup sachets and stuff like that, its rank lol

I wrote that ages ago for a friend and had it saved for future use.

Done with elderflower it is quite a refreshing drink

I have made all sorts from homebrew ales to wine

Peapod wine is nice and a good use for the sugar packed pods after shelling the peas

I miss my allotment now talkkng about homebrew

I agree with @mrtaytay that rhubarb wine is the bestLeave it long enough and it is like a nice dry red

I actually prefer it to shop bought grape wine
Too right Daveyboy.....rhubarb Is the best. I cant get enough of it. Our rhubarb has been rampant......we have produced 8 demijohns of wine from it (about 40 bottles!).

Also got red gooseberry, elderberry, parsnip plus orange wines on the go!

I had to give up the allotment due to not ever having time to go

Very peed off

I kept saying "I'll get down there tomorrow and have a tidy up"

Get down there and the weeds are as tall as me lol

Not fair on my neighbours either with all the poppys etc that start blowing their seeds over their plots

Back