Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Should I be using so much water?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yes, the only difference will be the pressure it comes out at, i.e. the smaller the jet the greater the pressure.
Thanks for that mate! ? Please can you tell me what the pencil jets do in comparison to not using them at all. Are they just designed to slow the pressure of the water down? Before I fit the 3mm jets, I didn’t use any, will it then fly out at the greatest pressure? 

Hi guys. 

I’ve got a 500L tank, most days it just about lasts me when I’m doing on average 15 houses, (around £150) in 6 hours. I know it’s not a lot compared to most of you guys, as I’ve not been doing it long and built it up from scratch.

When I’m doing more compact work on new estates I’m running out of water after about 18 houses (average house £10). So I’ve been taking a few 25L drums with me to top me up.. 

Is it normal that I’m using so much water? 

I’m pretty sure I’m not over cleaning, I’m cleaning the frames quickly, then I go over the glass once or twice and give it a quick rinse. Since using them 3mm pencil jets on my brush, I usually have my flow on 37. Them jets seem to slow the flow of the water, as I used to have it on 32.

I’m on the verge of looking for a bigger van so I can fit a 1000L tank in, so I’ll have enough water for 2 people to work all day. I’ve got someone canvassing for me to try and compact my work and build it up enough to have someone else on the windows with me.

Can anyone that’s used a 1000L tank recommend any van that’s suitable for the weight? 

Many thanks, Luke. 
personally i think your using a tad too much....i have a 500L TANK and i use anywhere between 350L-450L on a normal  5 or 6 hour day depending on what work is due(£200-£300 per day)...flow on 45 which is gushing out on this setting(i use hot water),uni valve.....obviously i dont drain the tank completely or id be having air lock problems so i usually have 50L left in the bottom even on heavier use days....i use the standard 2mm pencil jets that are fitted to most brushes....

i WFP virtually EVERYTHING,doors,sills,frames and glass,most days i dont even get the trad gear out....

I did this job back and front this morning. I opted to use the backpack as my son would use it. I didn't change any of his flow settings.

The job both back and front took 10 minutes longer even when considering the slightly reduced setup time. I used around 20 litres. I brimmed the backpack and have 2 litres left

The building has 7 windows and a door at the back similar to the front but with no bay window.

d&k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You said 350  ltr lasts two days at 6 hours per day so total of 12 hours work total on 350 ltr , maybe my maths is wrong ?.. but I cannot believe it’s possible to do 12 hours work with 350 ltr of water 
It's about 30 litres an hour (29.16). Not quite sure how you got 0.48 lol. I definitely would say this is on the preservative side though.

I tend to use a bit more, probably 40 - 45 litres an hour.

I only ever use pure for first cleans. Only time I’ve hit the windows with degreaser is when doing the frames on a full pvc clean and all it seems to do is make black seals bleed like a ***** 

I got 5 new customers today because the guy has a big window cleaning company and has stopped coming. I think he is getting bigger houses to clean. Anyway, I did them all with pure hot water and rinsed them and then went back round and rinsed them all again below the vents. I'm not having customers call me back no more because of vents or degreaser. Lesson has been well and truly learnt. ? 

Any washing up liquid can be a nightmare to rinse away thoroughly and certainly not needed to be added to tfr,

I wish you had told me this last week as I have had a bit of a nightmare with first clean streaks. Got 5 new customers today and just used hot pure water and after I finished I rinsed again. No streaks, so that's my future plan in place. Kiss

It's about 30 litres an hour (29.16). Not quite sure how you got 0.48 lol. I definitely would say this is on the preservative side though.

29 litres per hour is 0.48 litres per minute. That’s were PJJ got that from. He’s quite correct. Lol. 

I wish you had told me this last week as I have had a bit of a nightmare with first clean streaks. Got 5 new customers today and just used hot pure water and after I finished I rinsed again. No streaks, so that's my future plan in place. Kiss
I only use tfr on really bad first cleans and never had an issue as  I rinse thoroughly

Did a first clean yesterday on a 3bed semi that had green mould on front top and bottom front windows (Not been cleaned in dont know how long)

Cleaned with wfp, applied Ubik, agitated, cleaned and rinsed....came up great....and used full gardiner backpack of 20 or so litres on that minging first clean.

29 litres per hour is 0.48 litres per minute. That’s were PJJ got that from. He’s quite correct. Lol. 
Yeah he said per hour mate ? 

However I reckon when I used to have 3 houses left with one 25l barrel I wouldn't go much above 0.48 litres per hour ?

Back