Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Shoulder pain after using water fed pole

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Think good idea if you can get rid of any jobs where you got to reach over a roof or something where you can feel the strain on your back. I texted one today to say unless I can access from next door I won't be able to do the windows as it's a real strain on the back, not worth it for £16 

What poles and brushes are you using? 

How many hours a day do you work?

Do you use a manual reel?

Are you using minibore instead of microbore?

Do you do any strength training?
What poles and brushes are you using? Long ones with fluffy things 

How many hours a day do you work? 9

Do you use a manual reel? hell yeah 

Are you using minibore instead of microbore? microbore

Do you do any strength training? making coffee 

?

I'm just up the road if you, or your son, needs any assistance.
Thanks. That's very kind of you to offer. It's in my hands to decide when the time is necessary for this next op. I'm not worried about the op as it has been done before; I would rather stay away from hospitals at the moment.

We had an old customer admitted into hospital last month for a 'minor' complaint; while in there he caught Covid19 and passed away a few days later in hospital. He hadn't left his home in a year, so either his daughter-in-law brought it in with the caring duties she did, or he caught it in hospital.

We also had a customer, retired, younger and fitter than I am go into hospital for a blood clot that developed as a result of a previous ankle operation. He phoned his wife to come and collect him. Before she got there he was admitted to the covid ward and died the following day.

Hence, I'm not that eager to go into James Cook atm.

Thanks. That's very kind of you to offer. It's in my hands to decide when the time is necessary for this next op. I'm not worried about the op as it has been done before; I would rather stay away from hospitals at the moment.

We had an old customer admitted into hospital last month for a 'minor' complaint; while in there he caught Covid19 and passed away a few days later in hospital. He hadn't left his home in a year, so either his daughter-in-law brought it in with the caring duties she did, or he caught it in hospital.

We also had a customer, retired, younger and fitter than I am go into hospital for a blood clot that developed as a result of a previous ankle operation. He phoned his wife to come and collect him. Before she got there he was admitted to the covid ward and died the following day.

Hence, I'm not that eager to go into James Cook atm.
That's where I got it from, Father In Law catching it attending a hospital appointment and passing it to my Wife, his carer.

I had bad tennis elbow, tried everything but nothing really worked. Then I changed my equipment:

xtreme pole, extreme brushes, claber reel, although it’s plasticky, it’s very easy to reel in because it’s not heavily engineered. Most importantly, I use an additional 40m of Gardiners reinforced pole hose on my main reel. This stuff really is easy to pull round houses. I also work out the side of my van so I have a straight run to the back of the house. Bin off any awkward work, ladders, over connys etc and keep it simple.

This has made the difference for me.

Supreame brushes are very good we use the stiff with hot water lovely brush and not to heavy good splay on the bristles to get into corners long bristles so the stock doesn’t hit the raised part of the frames 
I wanted the stiff brush, but daqua only had dupont n flocked at the time. 

Hi everyone,

Just curious if there are any other window cleaners suffering back and shoulder pain after using a water fed pole.  I'm now 51, am i just getting too old or am I doing something wrong?

Any useful tips  greatly appreciated.
My advice(I'm 49 and no injury problems)

Use xtreme poles and brushes for your work

Electric reel

Work short days 4 or 5 days a week

Dont do too many add on jobs in one week(f/s/g cleaning,conny roofs,etc)

Regularly fit in some strength training with weights 2 or 3 times a week to keep you strong 

Hi everyone,

Just curious if there are any other window cleaners suffering back and shoulder pain after using a water fed pole.  I'm now 51, am i just getting too old or am I doing something wrong?

Any useful tips  greatly appreciated.
You have been givin some great advice in this thread.

I would like to say make sure you use the other side of your body ( instead of just poling from one side) through out the day to relieve some of pressure and repetitive motion..

You have been givin some great advice in this thread.

I would like to say make sure you use the other side of your body ( instead of just poling from one side) through out the day to relieve some of pressure and repetitive motion..
yes definitely. I really struggle to do this. 

when I do it right handed ( I’m a leftie ), I’m much weaker, and have less control. 
At the moment I try and do all frosted glass right handed as it helps me to remember. 
Still not as easy yet though. 

when I do it right handed ( I’m a leftie ), I’m much weaker, and have less control. 
At the moment I try and do all frosted glass right handed as it helps me to remember. 
I'm a lefty ?

Just keep at it you'll get stronger and your entire body with thank you.

Think good idea if you can get rid of any jobs where you got to reach over a roof or something where you can feel the strain on your back. I texted one today to say unless I can access from next door I won't be able to do the windows as it's a real strain on the back, not worth it for £16 
its a doddle with a 25ft xtreme pole,carbon gooseneck and xtreme brush.....i have loads of jobs where i have to pole windows over a conny or extension...it makes a world of difference mate!

Interesting thread, I am going to take on board some of these comments, although always rinsed off the glass so that would be a big change. Interested if any others have experienced any tremors as well as sore shoulder and upper arm pain. I devolped a rest tremor with wrist flexing and a pill rolling tremor about the same time as sore shoulder and upper arm pain on my left. I still have a feeling this is work related although my GP has referred me to neurology as rest tremor and sore shoulder are apparantly a possible early sign of parkinsons and as I am only 54 that would not be good. In the months I was homeschooling and not working there was no reduction in shoulder pain and upper arm pain so I have just started Tai Chi to see if that helps.

Interesting thread, I am going to take on board some of these comments, although always rinsed off the glass so that would be a big change. Interested if any others have experienced any tremors as well as sore shoulder and upper arm pain. I devolped a rest tremor with wrist flexing and a pill rolling tremor about the same time as sore shoulder and upper arm pain on my left. I still have a feeling this is work related although my GP has referred me to neurology as rest tremor and sore shoulder are apparantly a possible early sign of parkinsons and as I am only 54 that would not be good. In the months I was homeschooling and not working there was no reduction in shoulder pain and upper arm pain so I have just started Tai Chi to see if that helps.
Regular application of ice packs and anti inflammatories work for me and I'm 57

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Much appreciated.

reading your comments its probably a couple of things, poor technique and cheap poles. Ive since bought some better equipment and hoping that will help. I was straining to rinse off the glass, so will stop doing that.

Grew up in Kingsbury, Warwickshire, UK, then lived in Stoney Stanton, Leicester. Migrated to Mornington, Vic, Aus and just a few weeks ago settled in Hervey Bay, Queensland.  Cheers everyone!

http://www.stayclear.com.au

Prevention is better than pain. 

If you already suffer from painful wrists due to arthritis etc id recommend wearing a wrist support with settable aluminium bar which will add additional support and cause you less long term pain

Available from all chemists and the usual online tax avoiders 

its a doddle with a 25ft xtreme pole,carbon gooseneck and xtreme brush.....i have loads of jobs where i have to pole windows over a conny or extension...it makes a world of difference mate!
I can't justify the price for them & happy with slx tbh. I also hear they don't last long..

Latest Posts

Back