Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Shoulder pain after using water fed pole

WCF

Help Support WCF:

From my experience with gym and shoulder exercises, tight rotator cuff muscles in your shoulders can cause all sorts of problems. Most shoulder injuries are caused by this muscle as it’s fairly weak and can get used a lot. Really important to stretch them and do strengthening exercises like reverse flys. Hope that makes some sort of sense. 

they ll make your working days so much easier though!i think your crazy for not buying these poles esp as your suffering with an injury...i use them to cut down the risk of RSI as i get older.....plus they are a joy to use...
I haven't got an injury but thanks for caring. As I get older I will I will buy one but at the moment fine just one job that's strange angle as on a ladder aswell that's why I dropped it

not tried this yet as it’s only just dawned on me: my neck is super overworked today, so tomorrow, whatever the earnings loss, I’m going back to trad for a day (where it’s safe to do so, ie easy 2nd floor). I’ll likely earn less but it’ll give my legs a workout and hopefully give my neck a break 😊

Hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders constant pain. Feel about 60 years old after 10 years of doing this
Have you been tested for arthritis?as it's not normal to be in constant pain at your age mate.

I'm 52 and have virtually no aches and pains most days and I've been wfp for 14 years(17 years on ladders before that).

Plus(obviously)I'm lifting heavy weights 3 times a week too.

was talking to an insurance guy telling him i was thinking of dropping the commercial side altogether and wondered if itd reduce my premium,turned out it would not.However he was telling me window cleaning was becoming a no no for some insurance companies because thered been some really big claims from messed up shoulders .Few yrs back i knew a fellow who had a commercial cleaning biz that spanned carpet cleaning in hotels , restaurants and he had a window side too - all with employees.He had an emplyee who messed up his shoulder doing hotels etc with wfp and altho insurance covered it he ended up quitting the window side altogether cos of the risk

I'm 52 and have virtually no aches and pains most days and I've been wfp for 14 years(17 years on ladders before that).

Plus(obviously)I'm lifting heavy weights 3 times a week too.
This is not a dig or anything like that I am genuinely interested. Do you train to increase strength, endurance or just to exercise?

was talking to an insurance guy telling him i was thinking of dropping the commercial side altogether and wondered if itd reduce my premium,turned out it would not.However he was telling me window cleaning was becoming a no no for some insurance companies because thered been some really big claims from messed up shoulders .Few yrs back i knew a fellow who had a commercial cleaning biz that spanned carpet cleaning in hotels , restaurants and he had a window side too - all with employees.He had an emplyee who messed up his shoulder doing hotels etc with wfp and altho insurance covered it he ended up quitting the window side altogether cos of the risk

I can see some people having serious shoulder injuries if theyre using heavier,cheaper poles at height esp if they work a traditional 8 hour day(or longer) and are generally inexperienced with WFP.

Rota cuff injuries can take a long time to heal and may even require surgery

I see people injure themselves in the gym all the time,even the so called PT had to have shoulder surgery!

I can see some people having serious shoulder injuries if theyre using heavier,cheaper poles at height esp if they work a traditional 8 hour day(or longer) and are generally inexperienced with WFP.

Rota cuff injuries can take a long time to heal and may even require surgery

I see people injure themselves in the gym all the time,even the so called PT had to have shoulder surgery!
windies [employees ] who are doing commercial buildings day in day out .Such as Gatwick airport i knew a Romanian fellow part of a crew that drove 3hrs to Gatwick then cleaning then 3hrs back paid good money too Likely even using the very best poles theres got to be a time when that shoulder goes twang. at the 6yr mark ,10 if you are lucky...

Don't know if it helps or not but for the past 8 weeks I've been doing press ups in the evenings. I just do 3 sets of press ups with 6 minutes rest between each set. When I first started I struggled to do 20 press ups in a set, now I do 3 x 50 sets [150 total] monday to friday, weekends I rest. I have lost a stone in weight since Christmas.

I still ache but feel like I'm stronger and less muscle fatigue.

Also have an orange a day and sometimes a kiwi, apple and black grapes. I make sure I have protein in the evenings as well. Your body needs the protein to repair the muscles so it makes sense to watch your diet as well as everything else you can do to improve your health and fitness.
Press ups done correctly are one the best exercises imo as they do all of the body and not just the arms and shoulders which most people think and best of all they don’t require any equipment so are free. Pointless goin out spending £££’s on gym equipment and weights when you can use your own body. Burpees are another good exercise to do👍

Supreame brushes are very good we use the stiff with hot water lovely brush and not to heavy good splay on the bristles to get into corners long bristles so the stock doesn’t hit the raised part of the frames
Ye I love the supreme brushes for them same reasons. I’ve tried different sill brushes, swivels etc for the awkward ones but found the supreme brush did the job just as good but without the same fatigue. Absolutely brilliant all round brush and have them on all my poles bar one.

windies [employees ] who are doing commercial buildings day in day out .Such as Gatwick airport i knew a Romanian fellow part of a crew that drove 3hrs to Gatwick then cleaning then 3hrs back paid good money too Likely even using the very best poles theres got to be a time when that shoulder goes twang. at the 6yr mark ,10 if you are lucky...

The key IMO is working shorter hours, using the best poles and strength training

Of course I know lots of people have to work full time but not me.ive never worked full time in 14 years of WFP.

The trouble is these guys who end up with knackered shoulders just don't have time to recover from the strain so burn out and end up with injuries

The key IMO is working shorter hours, using the best poles and strength training

Of course I know lots of people have to work full time but not me.ive never worked full time in 14 years of WFP.

The trouble is these guys who end up with knackered shoulders just don't have time to recover from the strain so burn out and end up with injuries

You keep banging on about strength training the vast majority of window cleaners don’t go to the gym and don’t have shoulder issues I started WFP in 2003 using up to 60 foot fiberglass pole was a nightmare to get up the building and was as thick as a telegraph pole but never did I get any shoulder injuries and used that pole for years . Now the poles are much lighter smaller diameter and far easier to use i regularly use a 74 foot pole for half to three quarters of a day at a time yes it’s much harder work than a 25 foot pole obviously but with the right technique it’s perfectly workable and ime 61 and don’t go to the gym and have never had any issues. You should be able to do it with one hand with all theses heavy weights you are lifting all the time 😉

You keep banging on about strength training the vast majority of window cleaners don’t go to the gym and don’t have shoulder issues I started WFP in 2003 using up to 60 foot fiberglass pole was a nightmare to get up the building and was as thick as a telegraph pole but never did I get any shoulder injuries and used that pole for years . Now the poles are much lighter smaller diameter and far easier to use i regularly use a 74 foot pole for half to three quarters of a day at a time yes it’s much harder work than a 25 foot pole obviously but with the right technique it’s perfectly workable and ime 61 and don’t go to the gym and have never had any issues. You should be able to do it with one hand with all theses heavy weights you are lifting all the time 😉
Totally agree. Pushing a pole up and down all day is enough exercise for the top half of body in my opinion.
I never go to the gym as it would bore the granny out of me. I consider myself a strong fella and have a little jog up to the newsagents each morning to pick up my paper. I feel that’s enough exercise for the week. Anymore might be knackering up the body 🤷‍♂️🤔

Works for me.....😘👍

Lots of window cleaners have shoulder/back issues after years of WFP

I don't because I believe my strength training regime helps a lot with reduced strain

Latest Posts

Back