Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Silicon oil removal

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Isopropyl alcohol is great as a degreaser but not sure if it will work via a pole. I have only ever used it as a degreaser on small stuff in my hands with a cloth. It is good neat for removing sticky marks, soap, oil etc. Using it on roof might be a tad difficult.

Magic erasers are good on a surprising amount of things but again it probably needs to be hands on, maybe on a gardiner scraper? They are cheap so might be worth a go on the glass, no ideas on the frames.

One thing that might be worth a try is see if you can find out who makes the upvc (not the window company but their frame raw components) then ask them what can be used to clean the oil off. Sometimes the manufacturers print their name on the edges of the frames, so open a door and loot at the edges. Might get lucky?
Where do you buy it from ?.

Is it like methylated spirits ??? 
No it pure alcohol well 90 to 95%.

I think meths is ether based and has purple dye and extra stuff in to make you sick if drunk. I think it evaporates slower than iso and might leave a residue. 

Isopropyl alcohol is also called IPA. I think some windy used to put it in tank to stop freezing. 

Some think like 1000ml IPA

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
They are brown Wood grain effect like a plastic film , it’s also all over the glass the top openers are leaded as well
We had the same type of frames at our last place so I am aware what they are like, my wife got some spots of paint on the frames when she painted the front of the cottage she took them off with a magic sponge in the right kind of light I could see where she had rubbed with a sponge, she may not have applied the correct method as in the past I have took off scuff marks of car paintwork with a magic sponge but with a very soapy mix of water in a spray bottle and a gentle hand and not caused any damage at all. 

Back