Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Slow water flow

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi Jonny checked strainer no debris nothing built up there it did it again today wouldn't pump water had to disconnect reel pipe from outlet and it had warmed up a few degrees worked well flowing nice at times then when packed up kit to go next cust happens again ?
Bloody frustrating ain't it m8 especially when you can't narrow it down and everything has been checked ?

Hi Jonny checked strainer no debris nothing built up there it did it again today wouldn't pump water had to disconnect reel pipe from outlet and it had warmed up a few degrees worked well flowing nice at times then when packed up kit to go next cust happens again ?
Is it possible you're sucking air in? Have you tried to whack your flow up to 99 when you have the problem and then lower it when, if, water flowing normally.

How old is your pump? Wonder if the diaphragm plate is going hard or affected by temperature 

One thing that had me on my knees once was a Hoselock hose connector with stop. It was a brass one and worked perfectly for 6 months. Then one day the stop valve only partially opened. To this day I don't understand why it failed. I removed the stop and I'm still using that connector some 8 years later.

Other checks. Does the pump run better with the engine running? If it does it could point to a battery charge or capacity issue. It could also be a poor connection at the battery terminal, fuse holder or joins at the controller and pump. The fuse holder is the most likely culprit.

If you still have the pumps pressure switch connected in the circuit you could remove the wires to and from it and join them together. The microswitch's contacts inside the pressure switch could be burnt.

Lets go back to the battery. Battery state of charge can only be accurately checked when the battery has stood completely idle for 4 hours or more. A fully charged battery should show a voltage of 12.7v or higher.

When you start your pump the battery voltage will drop fractionally. If you battery is faulty it will show a big voltage drop. For example, my old leisure battery would power a Shurflo pump all day. But when I started to draw around 20 amps from it the voltage quickly dropped to 10.8v under the load. The moment I switched the load off the voltage jumped back to 12.3v. If left for the required 4 hours it would have recovered more and probably shown at 50% of full charge.

Hard winter ????? We are in for a short one it’s December next week and I haven’t put a coat on yet , sometimes it’s hideous from September on this year has been really good . 
I've still been wearing t shirts and shorts. We get battered here in Devon jan Feb March normally 

A few times I’ve had issues with this kind of thing. 

It’s normally with me, airlocks. If I disconnect hose from tank where it enters reel and crank it up to the max for a few seconds then Plug in back in it sorts itself out. (I don’t have reels fixed in the van, or that would be quite messy). 

once I found my water was slowing and I discovered loads of resin beads were getting through into my reel hose and mounting up behind the rectus fitting. 

Sometimes I find that if it’s frosty and you don’t start work as soon as you unfurl your hose, it can freeze in pipe. I doubt it’s been cold enough for that yet tho. 

hope some of that info helps. 

Is it possible you're sucking air in? Have you tried to whack your flow up to 99 when you have the problem and then lower it when, if, water flowing normally.
You could be right sir, When I was using garden hose from the tank outlet to the pump when I used a pump box the garden hose was always affected by changes in temp more often than the stuff I have on my system now from PF and the jubilee clips needed checking every 2 months and they usually all needed a few turns to be fully nipped up, I still periodically check all jubilee clips as they nearly always just need nipping up a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's getting colder. First frost of winter for us this morning. I'm going to have to start wearing shoes to spring.?

Are going around in bare feet ?
?

When I first started work at Bosch in South Africa it was the first time in the big city of Pretoria/Johannesburg. My then first boss used to comment that I had just learnt to tie my shoes laces as I had come from the bush where they never wear shoes.

As kids we had to wear shoes at school but when we got home we always were bare footed. My brother and I used to roam the bush for miles and miles barefoot. We knew every bush path in the bush behind our house for 6 miles down to the banks of the Kafwe river. We weren't allowed near the river because of crocodiles. The area was full of snakes but they didn't bother us back then. Pretty scary thinking about it now though.

Being on the boarder of Zambia and the Congo the weather was never cold. It was either rather warm or very hot just before the rains which started in October November.

?

When I first started work at Bosch in South Africa it was the first time in the big city of Pretoria/Johannesburg. My then first boss used to comment that I had just learnt to tie my shoes laces as I had come from the bush where they never wear shoes.

As kids we had to wear shoes at school but when we got home we always were bare footed. My brother and I used to roam the bush for miles and miles barefoot. We knew every bush path in the bush behind our house for 6 miles down to the banks of the Kafwe river. We weren't allowed near the river because of crocodiles. The area was full of snakes but they didn't bother us back then. Pretty scary thinking about it now though.

Being on the boarder of Zambia and the Congo the weather was never cold. It was either rather warm or very hot just before the rains which started in October November.
Oh bare foot those were the days when you walked through a row of Matabele Ants then you start doing a weird dance ?. 

The closest I came to an inch of a snake was walking in the bush to go fishing then heard a noise. Looked to my left and Cobra raised up. I had just climbed over a barbed wire  fence. I must have broken my high jump record as cleared it running back ? 

We did things as kids back then that new age mums would be having fits ? 

Oh bare foot those were the days when you walked through a row of Matabele Ants then you start doing a weird dance ?. 

The closest I came to an inch of a snake was walking in the bush to go fishing then heard a noise. Looked to my left and Cobra raised up. I had just climbed over a barbed wire  fence. I must have broken my high jump record as cleared it running back ? 

We did things as kids back then that new age mums would be having fits ? 
Baa, that’s nothing. One of my customers has a big ornamental pond next to her conservatory, and last spring I nearly trod on a newt ?

Hard winter ????? We are in for a short one it’s December next week and I haven’t put a coat on yet , sometimes it’s hideous from September on this year has been really good . 
Yeah too right, I washed the van and did bits in the garden yesterday afternoon in shorts & t shirt, I checked the temperature at around 2:30ish just to check, it was 14.5 degrees!! Here in Bournemouth. 

The water flow coming out the brush head seems not so fast today. My battery is reading 12.8 and have the usual shurflo pump and streamline controller. Even when crancked right up there's no real difference in the flow 
When this happens to me it tends to be an airlock, disconnect the hose feeding the reel and let your pump run as fast as it can for a minute or so, reattach the hose and recalibrate your controller, always always seems to be my issue for slow flow ?

Back