Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Small (sub 12lpm) pressure washer - worth it?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ched999uk

Recently bought a gutter vac and after advertising to my existing customers I am very pleased with the take up.
So I'm thinking about spring and 'pressure washing' season. I have limited space in my van so I was thinking I wouldn't need a buffer tank if I had a sub 12 litres per min machine but would it be up to the odd driveway or patio? I realise it's not going to do the job as fast as a 15lpm machine but would it do a reasonable job?

So would it be worth getting a sub 12lpm machine or should I steer clear unless I can fit a 15lpm machine and buffer tank in the van?

Cheers for any advice.

Recently bought a gutter vac and after advertising to my existing customers I am very pleased with the take up.
So I'm thinking about spring and 'pressure washing' season. I have limited space in my van so I was thinking I wouldn't need a buffer tank if I had a sub 12 litres per min machine but would it be up to the odd driveway or patio? I realise it's not going to do the job as fast as a 15lpm machine but would it do a reasonable job?

So would it be worth getting a sub 12lpm machine or should I steer clear unless I can fit a 15lpm machine and buffer tank in the van?

Cheers for any advice.
We all just use a wheelie bin with a hose fitting and float stop attached inside. You can store stuff in the bin so all you do is wheel it to the van. Soon one realises that you need a large van that can hold everything in it. The more you expand your business the more work you will get. Soon all your window cleaning customers will know what you can do and will offer you more work because they like dealing with the same person, well that's what I have found out to my advantage. No need to advertise bar website and repeat business like gutter clears. Pressure Washers are like vans, the moment you use it you wish you had bought a bigger one with longer hose. ?

Cheers for any advice.
Go with the bigger machine & get a flexi butt won’t take up any space once it’s empty & folded down ??

Just adapt your window cleaning tank into a buffer tank for the days when. you're pressure washing. You got a gutter vac to remove the tap water at the end of the job.

Get one of these fitted and then you won't flood van - Hi-Flow Water Float Valve 3/4 – Precious Washers Stafford Ltd

I have dual use tank, when I am doing my final wash down, I switch of the feed tap to tank and use up all the water in the tank. I vac out the last twenty litres when I return home. I turn up with 600 litres ready to start.

Wouldn't waste your money on 12lpm machine, 15Llpm as a minimum and if you set it to be used without removing it from van it will save a lot of hassle lifting it in and out.

The trouble I found with the flexi tank is, takes a long time to fill up, and it doesn't fold up well. Wouldn't buy one again...

Plus they get leaks after a bit...

Better off with a wheelie bin if you really need a buffer tank because you can store hoses and other things inside it, but that depends on your van size.

I started with a 11 or 12 litre Rocwood. Did the job fine for a couple of years. (Not full time I should and). Upgraded to a 15lpm Jetmac. In a different league. My buffer tank is a food barrel. Think it’s about 100 litres. 90% of the time it’s plenty and rarely have to stop to let it fill up. Big enough to hold my hose, lance, waterproofs and a few other bits.

Still takes up quite a bit of space on the Transit when you add in the hose, box of spares and tools, hypo and other fluids etc, FSC, but when I’m doing pressure washing I don’t do anything else the same day so it doesn’t really matter.

I cover quite a few different trades so my van contents are swapped out all the time depended on what I’m doing, plus all the racked out stuff that stays on there permanently. Space soon disappears once you start accumulating kit. It’s not just a pressure washer and hose as I rapidly learnt.

Problem with the smaller flow rate is the job will take so much longer time is money and I found it was far more cost effective to buy a higher flow rate machine as the job was done in less time and you could then be on to the next job , so earning far more , it will pay fir it’s self very quickly if you have the work .

Problem with the smaller flow rate is the job will take so much longer time is money and I found it was far more cost effective to buy a higher flow rate machine as the job was done in less time and you could then be on to the next job , so earning far more , it will pay fir it’s self very quickly if you have the work .

It really does. I originally bought my little Rocwood to clean down after landscaping jobs but if I’d known I would do more then I would have gone straight for a bigger one. Ignoring all the other stuff I bought I think the basic machine and FSC I paid for in the first 2 jobs.

Cheers.

The problem is space in my van. @THL4KEL pointed out I could use my pure tank as a buffer tank so that might help. I have the Pure Freedom elec reel one side and small rack with chemicals, spares cloths etc on the other so only a small space in between - about 49cm wide by 80cm front to back. I can just fit my gutter vac (panther), geny (champion 2200watt) plus a fuel can.
I was just thinking about PW as I had such a great response from my customers when I told them I can empty gutters and clean gsf, it might be a good addon for spring

Cheers.

The problem is space in my van. @THL4KEL pointed out I could use my pure tank as a buffer tank so that might help. I have the Pure Freedom elec reel one side and small rack with chemicals, spares cloths etc on the other so only a small space in between - about 49cm wide by 80cm front to back. I can just fit my gutter vac (panther), geny (champion 2200watt) plus a fuel can.
I was just thinking about PW as I had such a great response from my customers when I told them I can empty gutters and clean gsf, it might be a good addon for spring
More powerful pw don’t have to be huge have a word with Ben at Rutland pumps

Not recommending the pressure washer but the trolly frame isn’t that Big Ben will mount the washer and pump on what ever it will fit on and you want, but this just gives you an idea of what can be done .

Attachments

• IMG_0186.png
    IMG_0186.png
    224.9 KB · Views: 13
Not recommending the pressure washer but the trolly frame isn’t that Big Ben will mount the washer and pump on what ever it will fit on and you want, but this just gives you an idea of what can be done .
I copied PJJ and bought the one he uses. It was the best advice I have had regarding PW. 250bar and 21LPM but it only cost £2200 back then and now probably double that amount. If you go for a 200bar machine it should be around £2k but it will be worth it.

Rutland was saying the NGK BKR5E was the same spark plug as @ched999uk stated. I don't think I have changed the Champion spark plug since I got the PW so must be good quality. Not been doing much PW now so its lying idle and I forgot to start it up every week.

Latest Posts

Back