Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

soffit and fascia cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

You needed to do an experiment to realise hot water removes dirt faster than cold ?.

Fwiw it's easy enough to come off without hot water, your not really scrubbing hard. I put degreaser on it first though.
Did experiment with 3 types of degreaser to see which one was the best. They were all the same but what made the biggest difference was the temperature of the solution.

if i did it first thing, be best idea to fill backpack with solution+warm water at least to make it easier?
This is early days. Please don't get hung up about hot water.
We managed quite well for 16 years with just cold water. Occasionally we squirt a little jif cream on the brush and scrub. This does a good enough job. We now have hot water but no offence, I honestly haven't experienced the miraculous benefits some claim. (It's nice to have in freezing weather as it makes hoses supple, but that's about it. The heaters hasn't been switched on

One thing you have to realize and your customer must understand is that you are offering a fascia and soffit clean. This is different to a restore. While you will do your best to remove ingrain stains, it's not already possible to bring them back to brand new white.

If they are expecting this, then they would be better off having them replaced.

This is early days. Please don't get hung up about hot water.
We managed quite well for 16 years with just cold water. Occasionally we squirt a little jif cream on the brush and scrub. This does a good enough job. We now have hot water but no offence, I honestly haven't experienced the miraculous benefits some claim. (It's nice to have in freezing weather as it makes hoses supple, but that's about it. The heaters hasn't been switched on

One thing you have to realize and your customer must understand is that you are offering a fascia and soffit clean. This is different to a restore. While you will do your best to remove ingrain stains, it's not already possible to bring them back to brand new white.

If they are expecting this, then they would be better off having them replaced.
Great advice mate thank you.

Personally, I've found hot water makes the job a lot easier and therefor faster. The whites tend to be whiter as well.

If I'm using cold water I mix the degreaser into a bucket of hot water, the degreaser works better when mixed in a hot solution, I just ask the customer for half a bucket of hot water.

Personally, I've found hot water makes the job a lot easier and therefor faster. The whites tend to be whiter as well.

If I'm using cold water I mix the degreaser into a bucket of hot water, the degreaser works better when mixed in a hot solution, I just ask the customer for half a bucket of hot water.
What hot water system do you have? Is there a 'budget' one? I want to try get this sorted too before winter comes to be fully prepared

For every Soffit Fascias clean I've done I've only used pure water nothing else. Maybe because they are new build houses so they are shiny finish so the dirt comes off easily without much effort

I would just try water first on a section see how it looks rather than going straight in with chems

What hot water system do you have? Is there a 'budget' one? I want to try get this sorted too before winter comes to be fully prepared
I don't have a hot water system, I just fill barrels full of hot water before I leave home. 4 barrels is usually enough to clean a conservatory roof. With hot I can do it in half the time, sometimes less than that even. For fascias and soffits I'd imagine no more than 2 barrels would do the trick. Just removes all green algae, moss etc without the need for chemicals.

For every Soffit Fascias clean I've done I've only used pure water nothing else. Maybe because they are new build houses so they are shiny finish so the dirt comes off easily without much effort

I would just try water first on a section see how it looks rather than going straight in with chems
New builds I've found cold water is enough to get very good results, although I usually add a bit of degreaser just to try and get them 100%. For older fascias that are covered in green algae it can be a different experience, that's when hot water really makes the job easier. That and 1mm pencil jets on full flow is how I do them.

I only use cold water fairy liquid and 2 different brush heads on my gardiner slx I use a stiff sill brush for scrubbing stubborn marks with fairy then I go over with my flocked brush and rinse done loads of these over the last 2 months all satisfied very happy customers

does it not freeze up in the tank in the van? bet that spray back is awful haha!
Lads like you who are used to doing jobs indoors are way too soft you'll have to toughen up for the rough winters we get these days when it drops to -3c :ROFLMAO:

It's only ever been that cold once which was 2009-10 when it dropped to -17c but back then I was using a trolley and still managed to get out some days when it warmed up trudging through 2ft of snow.

I tried that idea today but on a conny roof. Worked a treat and saved a considerable amount of time so cheers for that.

I tried that idea today but on a conny roof. Worked a treat and saved a considerable amount of time so cheers for that.
Good to hear, really does make it easier doesn't it. When I've had a really bad one and tried cold water, well I've really struggled to get it done in good time, the results are ok but it's the time. However when I use hot water, even on a really bad one, well after an hour it's pretty much done and even when I go over it with a degreaser after well the degreaser doesn't really make it look any better, if anything it's just wasting time as the hot water has done 95% of the work.

I'm considering looking into those hot boxes that Part Timer's mentioned in the past. Would be great to be able to have hot water on demand at any temp you want for first cleans, conservatory roofs and fasica/soffits.

Good to hear, really does make it easier doesn't it. When I've had a really bad one and tried cold water, well I've really struggled to get it done in good time, the results are ok but it's the time. However when I use hot water, even on a really bad one, well after an hour it's pretty much done and even when I go over it with a degreaser after well the degreaser doesn't really make it look any better, if anything it's just wasting time as the hot water has done 95% of the work.

I'm considering looking into those hot boxes that Part Timer's mentioned in the past. Would be great to be able to have hot water on demand at any temp you want for first cleans, conservatory roofs and fasica/soffits.
Absolutely right I reckon I probably shaved an hour off a large conny roof clean. Yep will have to look into the hot box option.

Let me know if you get one, and help me fit mine at the same time ?

Back