Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Softwash with poor results

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Thanks for all the help with this one @kevinc250 and @Pjj - question for you kevin where did you gain your scientific knowledge of softwashing - are you self taught or learn it elsewhere ? Thanks again for all the help
lordy thats, a good question there john and one i've never been asked before,

i think this might read like a cv lol, years ago i was "invited" (or thats the way it seemed at the time) to the very first softwashing course in the uk, it was something that i was interested in because window cleaning is pretty boring although good money its just plain boring on a daily basis anyway and, it was something i thought could be interesting as an add-on service  the course focused on this american guy just going on about hypo all the time and the end results which, in hindsight their climate is different to ours so, his problems are not neccesarily ours if you get my drift. i learned a lot from that course through chats to some up and coming suppliers who were there too to learn from, i have to admit though, henry was very very good at bringing wood back to looking like new.

did the bio courses aswell afterwards there ok as an insight but focus on one product only and not the whole scheme of things, (due to the climate in the uk what would be seen as a problem to you being in in the south could well be of no issue to us in the north-so, in truth there is no universal cure all barring napalm  for all our problems)

at the same time i was involved with a certain water additive you may have heard of, it was all fun times but the reading of books and re-learning chemistry again was hard work.

so, to answer your question yes, i would say i am self taught but not from you tube or forums but by reading chemistry books and i am lucky to have a few chemists on my round to bounce ideas off and to learn from, i am out of the additive thing now as per sales and selling etc have been for a long long while but still use them on a daily basis and have done for nearly twelve years now

thanks for the question buddy.

i do remember that picture paul, as i said earlier that being "up north" we don't allways see those problems, what you have there is trentophilia, a type of alghi  some call it a fungus which can't really feed itself and hence,relies on the surround alghi for food.

that photo is really good for someone wanting to learn, as the more you look the more you see, lichens, alghi and moss, all living together many of them all fighting for there own space, if you look closley you'll see the area where a particular alghi can't gain further ground as its surrounded its basicly a battlefield out there if you look at it closely,each fighting for there own space i know i'm a bit geeky but its interesting when you look at it this way you can understand whats going on and how they live and survive on then its so much easier to work out a treatment, 

Last edited by a moderator:
lordy thats, a good question there john and one i've never been asked before,

i think this might read like a cv lol, years ago i was "invited" (or thats the way it seemed at the time) to the very first softwashing course in the uk, it was something that i was interested in because window cleaning is pretty boring although good money its just plain boring on a daily basis anyway and, it was something i thought could be interesting as an add-on service  the course focused on this american guy just going on about hypo all the time and the end results which, in hindsight their climate is different to ours so, his problems are not neccesarily ours if you get my drift. i learned a lot from that course through chats to some up and coming suppliers who were there too to learn from, i have to admit though, henry was very very good at bringing wood back to looking like new.

did the bio courses aswell afterwards there ok as an insight but focus on one product only and not the whole scheme of things, (due to the climate in the uk what would be seen as a problem to you being in in the south could well be of no issue to us in the north-so, in truth there is no universal cure all barring napalm  for all our problems)

at the same time i was involved with a certain water additive you may have heard of, it was all fun times but the reading of books and re-learning chemistry again was hard work.

so, to answer your question yes, i would say i am self taught but not from you tube or forums but by reading chemistry books and i am lucky to have a few chemists on my round to bounce ideas off and to learn from, i am out of the additive thing now as per sales and selling etc have been for a long long while but still use them on a daily basis and have done for nearly twelve years now

thanks for the question buddy.
You sounded like a chemist to me when we spoke on the phone some time ago ?

i do remember that picture paul, as i said earlier that being "up north" we don't allways see those problems, what you have there is trentophilia, a type of alghi  some call it a fungus which can't really feed itself and hence,relies on the surround alghi for food.

that photo is really good for someone wanting to learn, as the more you look the more you see, lichens, alghi and moss, all living together many of them all fighting for there own space, if you look closley you'll see the area where a particular alghi can't gain further ground as its surrounded its basicly a battlefield out there if you look at it closely,each fighting for there own space i know i'm a bit geeky but its interesting when you look at it this way you can understand whats going on and how they live and survive on then its so much easier to work out a treatment, 
That picture is very common for properties down hear 9out of 10 end up like  it especially older ones .

i'm just a geek micheal who cleans windows for a living, ok my podcasts may be different to yours but still a geek?, seems like i've "come out of the wardrobe" for want of a better word tonight,
I now remember you calling yourself a geek, your definitely more high brow than me I don't do podcasts ?

Latest Posts

Back