Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Some people are just downright lazy

WCF

Help Support WCF:

This is my first post,

I have been a window cleaner for over 10 years, I switched to WFP this year, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for the advice I have read on this forum. It is quite true all info has already been put up and easy to find, this is why this is my first post because there hasn’t been the need for me to ask a question. It would have been a nightmare switching over to wfp without the advice and reassurance I have read on this site. 
Thank you 

Ps 

I will now endeavor to help others, if required 

Ed

This is my first post,

I have been a window cleaner for over 10 years, I switched to WFP this year, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for the advice I have read on this forum. It is quite true all info has already been put up and easy to find, this is why this is my first post because there hasn’t been the need for me to ask a question. It would have been a nightmare switching over to wfp without the advice and reassurance I have read on this site. 
Thank you 

Ps 

Ed
Welcome aboard, Ed. ?

I've been going for around six and a half years. WFP from day one. I made a start with a very small amount of advice from a friend who had already done four years.

Already had a van. Bought some equipment on the not always great advice of a supplier. I was some time into it when I discovered on a google search that there were actually some window cleaners forums. I browsed three forums before I decided two weren't for me. I felt there was a much better spirit of camaraderie on here. I joined this one and have no regrets. I learned a lot by studying the forum and I finally made my presence know when I felt I might have learnt enough to be able to contribute.

Our stories are pretty similar I reckon. I'm sure your input into the conversations will be very welcome.

C'mon in the water's lovely. And it's pure, or at least mostly below 005.?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my first post,

Thank you 

Ps 

Ed
Good evening Ed and welcome to the family, you set an example for how the search box can be used and how easy the relevant information is to find. I hope you are enjoying WFP.

Have a great evening

Austin 

Hello,

I’m loving wfp, I can’t believe I didn’t do it years before, I lost a few customers but gained more. Also get asked for all the usual extra jobs much more now. I must admit I was one of the people putting it down for years and now eating my words.

cheers

The business model questions can be a bit futile because one sort of model for someone may not be suitable for someone else anyway - costs involved, types of customers you want to attract, where you live etc. Some like big houses and have lots in their area, some prefer smaller houses, some like to do commercial, some don’t like to travel far to work. All sorts.

However there will always be loads of people asking questions when you see some of the earnings many window cleaners claim to earn, so I don’t really blame them. Plus more and more people out of work and desperate to try and find a way of keeping a wage coming in.

Yes but define fail.

Business fails when you make the decision to fail. 
A guy came up to the inventor Thomas Edison and said he would like to shake his hand as he was one of the most succesful men in the world. Edison said he was actually one of the biggest failures in the world, and said that he had failed thousands of times, time after time when trying to find a suitable filament for his light bulb before becoming succesful in that particular venture.

A guy came up to the inventor Thomas Edison and said he would like to shake his hand as he was one of the most succesful men in the world. Edison said he was actually one of the biggest failures in the world, and said that he had failed thousands of times, time after time when trying to find a suitable filament for his light bulb before becoming succesful in that particular venture.
Edison had an unusual way of thinking up solutions to problems. At lunchtime he used to dwell on a problem with an afternoon nap holding a cup and saucer. Everytime he dropped off the cup fell on the carpet and woke him up and only then could remember what he was dreaming about. He eventually ran out of cups. ?

Edison had an unusual way of thinking up solutions to problems. At lunchtime he used to dwell on a problem with an afternoon nap holding a cup and saucer. Everytime he dropped off the cup fell on the carpet and woke him up and only then could remember what he was dreaming about. He eventually ran out of cups. ?
I am trying that....the afternoon nap part.

bet more than a few on this forum are idle layabouts 
I admit that I am, but it's not through choice, it's because I have ongoing health issues which started when I started the window cleaning.  I cannot remember the last day I felt well, every day I am in pain trying to maintain the business.  I am in the situation where I need to grow the business but growth means more work and more work means it's harder to maintain with the health issues.  

However, before I started the window cleaning I was working 60+ hour weeks and I can honestly say it's not something to be proud of.  Life is for living.

I admit that I am, but it's not through choice, it's because I have ongoing health issues which started when I started the window cleaning.  I cannot remember the last day I felt well, every day I am in pain trying to maintain the business.  I am in the situation where I need to grow the business but growth means more work and more work means it's harder to maintain with the health issues.  

However, before I started the window cleaning I was working 60+ hour weeks and I can honestly say it's not something to be proud of.  Life is for living.
Illness isn't laziness mate.

Good luck to you and I hope you make a speedy and full recovery.

Illness isn't laziness mate.

Good luck to you and I hope you make a speedy and full recovery.
It can feel like laziness though, when I compare my pains with what you've been through I honestly don't know how you do it, so it can feel like laziness, it can be hard to balance looking after yourself and being lazy.  

Don't get me wrong though, when I'm working I give it 100 percent all the time no corners are cut if anything I probably go way overboard but that's the way I work, it's just trying to get well enough to work, it's not like typing at a keyboard or turning a steering wheel is it, it's physically demanding.

It can feel like laziness though, when I compare my pains with what you've been through I honestly don't know how you do it, so it can feel like laziness, it can be hard to balance looking after yourself and being lazy.  

Don't get me wrong though, when I'm working I give it 100 percent all the time no corners are cut if anything I probably go way overboard but that's the way I work, it's just trying to get well enough to work, it's not like typing at a keyboard or turning a steering wheel is it, it's physically demanding.
I don't want to sound controversial and it isn't meant to be a dig at anyone struggling. To me pain is almost like a mental health issue, some people can handle different levels of stress and some can handle different levels of pain, the lucky ones can handle high levels of both. 95% of our issues start in the head and if you're fortunate enough to be able to ignore what's going through your head you can get through most things. Good luck with your health issues.

I don't want to sound controversial and it isn't meant to be a dig at anyone struggling. To me pain is almost like a mental health issue, some people can handle different levels of stress and some can handle different levels of pain, the lucky ones can handle high levels of both. 95% of our issues start in the head and if you're fortunate enough to be able to ignore what's going through your head you can get through most things. Good luck with your health issues.
I agree my wife was on perscription painkillers for well over 7  years to manage her daily aches and pains it just became the norm for her, but a few years ago she switched her approach and stopped going to the doctors, yes she does still need to take some from the chemists but only on really bad days. 

Talking of pain, I have to wake up 2 hours earlier to take my painkillers Ive had on prescription for the last 12 years.

I went from fitness to agony overnight.

My back pelvis arms and legs were badly broken leaving me with chronic debilitating pain.

Along with my ptsd depression & anxiety my life would be one lazy mess if I didn't have the drive grit and determination to get up and go every day to earn a living, 

I've had one day off sick in 12 years and won't give up as weakness isn't in my itinerary.

I sympathise with the guys battling their issues but dig in and press on.

One life live it ?

Back