Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Some people are just downright lazy

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I admit that I am, but it's not through choice, it's because I have ongoing health issues which started when I started the window cleaning.  I cannot remember the last day I felt well, every day I am in pain trying to maintain the business.  I am in the situation where I need to grow the business but growth means more work and more work means it's harder to maintain with the health issues.  

However, before I started the window cleaning I was working 60+ hour weeks and I can honestly say it's not something to be proud of.  Life is for living.
Some people are not cut out for physical work outside in all weathers......what are your health issues mate?I'm sure theres something that can be done to rectify them.....

Some people are not cut out for physical work outside in all weathers......what are your health issues mate?I'm sure theres something that can be done to rectify them.....
Just been getting pains in might right hand side and just underneath my right ribs, but more recently they've been going to my left side.  Went to see the doctor and had a physical examination and he squeezed my right side and I was crippled in agony, he just froze and said he didn't expect that, I said to him surely that's the problem and he said that's your appendix but I don't think it's that.  I've been for a scan, showed up no issues, had tablets to control stomach acid and it's relieved it but not got rid of it.  Next I'll be requesting a ct scan.  From reading up I think it's either a gallbladder problem or it's chronic appendicitis which can last for years and is difficult to diagnose.  It's like a dull pain but I also get sharp pains and they move about all over my mid section, possibly ulcers but I think they might just be the after affects of the root cause.

Boomers, Gen X, Gen Y and Gen Z is an interesting topic. There are traits in each that can be negative but I do agree that millennial's do request more support and I think that is made far easier due to access to the internet, forums and youtube. There is also a level of pride that we dont see as much in the younger generation as we do the old. Looking at my Grandad, he was such a proud man and would reluctantly ask for any help, he would actually find it embarrassing to even think of asking.

@cleaniacmade a good point about getting out there and canvassing each evening to build rounds. Something I have found over the weekend is that it doesnt matter how much I push myself on facebook, yell, instagram or google... getting your face seen, getting yourself out there is far better at bringing the customers back in. Its boring and tedious but put the graft in and surely there will be a return somewhere versus not doing anything at all.

Now I dont believe all millennial's are laid back and expect everything to be spoon fed to them but the percentage is much higher now than any previous generation. I think there is a fine line of showing them but also allowing them to go by their own, make their own mistakes to fuel their own learning to improve

Boomers, Gen X, Gen Y and Gen Z is an interesting topic. There are traits in each that can be negative but I do agree that millennial's do request more support and I think that is made far easier due to access to the internet, forums and youtube. There is also a level of pride that we dont see as much in the younger generation as we do the old. Looking at my Grandad, he was such a proud man and would reluctantly ask for any help, he would actually find it embarrassing to even think of asking.

@cleaniacmade a good point about getting out there and canvassing each evening to build rounds. Something I have found over the weekend is that it doesnt matter how much I push myself on facebook, yell, instagram or google... getting your face seen, getting yourself out there is far better at bringing the customers back in. Its boring and tedious but put the graft in and surely there will be a return somewhere versus not doing anything at all.

Now I dont believe all millennial's are laid back and expect everything to be spoon fed to them but the percentage is much higher now than any previous generation. I think there is a fine line of showing them but also allowing them to go by their own, make their own mistakes to fuel their own learning to improve
There's nothing like being seen out and about.

Woman walked past me with a lovely puppy and I spoke to her.

2 minute chat and found out it's a rescue dog and I made a fuss of him.

She says "I see you're a window cleaner.. how much for no53?"

New 6 weekly customer on my books for saying hello while I had a smoke break.

Say hello to everyone and be friendly.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing like being seen out and about.

Woman walked past me with a lovely puppy and I spoke to her.

2 minute chat and found out it's a rescue dog and I made a fuss of him.

She says "I see you're a window cleaner.. how much for no53?"

New 6 weekly customer on my books for saying hello while I had a smoke break.

Say hello to everyone and be friendly.
The social aspects of this job and the freedom of the great outdoors are priceless. 

I will always respect someone that risks everything, or leaves the relative safety of a paid job, to try and better themselves. I would prefer to be known to be someone that tried and failed than someone that never tried.
That's the exact position I'm in at the moment. Leaving my job at the end of the year as my job wont allow any more growth for my business. Not going to lie I am a bit nervous but I know the fire under my ass will produce results and i will do anything required to get those results when i dont have a wage coming in every week.

That's the exact position I'm in at the moment. Leaving my job at the end of the year as my job wont allow any more growth for my business. Not going to lie I am a bit nervous but I know the fire under my ass will produce results and i will do anything required to get those results when i dont have a wage coming in every week.
Someone on this forum once explained it to me in a good way.

It's called the fear.

If you fear you need to pay the bills and need to keep a roof over your families head you will make it happen.

I 100% agree.

If you need the work to look after your family you will do everything possible to get the work and then you CANNOT FAIL.

It is not a possibility as you have to make it happen.

Take the leap and get it done mate.

Hope it goes well for you, as long as you know the realities and the difficulties that may arise you will be in a better position than the "rose tinted glassees" newbies.

I'd hang on to that job till the end of January, I did my first winter last year and picking up new work December to February is hard going.  It's possible, but it's a hell of a lot easier the rest of the year, in particular April to July.

I'd hang on to that job till the end of January, I did my first winter last year and picking up new work December to February is hard going.  It's possible, but it's a hell of a lot easier the rest of the year, in particular April to July.
I pick up work all year.  The season doesn't make a difference. 

Had 5 new ones this week and it's November. 

Back