Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

no access to the back of the house

WCF

Help Support WCF:

davewindowcleaner

A customer ask me if I could clean her windows back and front which I said yes to of course.

Turn up 20 min later at her place and quickly realise there wasn't any access to the back of the house.

I knock her door '' I can do the front only if you like '' she said ''well can't you carry the ladder though the house to the back''

I said no because I didn't want to break anything carrying the ladder though the house and i would have to twist and turn in the hallway with the ladder just to get to the kitchen to the back garden.

Moral of the story alway check if there a access if someone come up to you asking for windows to cleaned cos time is money!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats why i have a small 3 section that is as tall as me collapsed to get through those type of houses

I get that sometimes when people enquire the want their guttering cleared etc when they don't have any back access.

If they don't have good access through the house or garage for big ladders It's just a case of using others methods/tools or just give it a miss.

However it’s still possible to have done that job by either using a wfp van mount (not ideal), wfp backpack/trolley, by trad pole or as @daveyboy1 has already mentioned trad by ladder using the type of ladders he uses for this purpose.

Like you say time is money so to be quite honest I stay clear of small regular window cleaning jobs like that as are just too much of a pain in the **** for the reward. There are plenty of good access jobs I can be getting on with that pays better too for less hassle.

That the beauty of working for yourself as you can pick & choose what work you want to take on.

I tend to use google maps quite a bit and also ask relevent questions on phone. Access to get to the back of the property being one of them as it's easy to get caught out.

I too use a small 3 section ladder. Light and compact.
I used it a lot today for a change as very easy terraced houses and makes a change from my normal 3 section with ankalad weighing in at about 35 kilos

My small pointer ladder is ok for getting through most houses. But if I had had an awkward woman like that, I would trad pole it. She'd be begging me to come back with my ladder and sort that mess out. /emoticons/biggrin.png

You not good with a pole then tolish??

I do some houses purely by trad pole

Especially now i am using the adjustable crank on the harris pole

I like the flex of the pole and the 0° is brilliant as I use the crank to get the angle of a normal squeegee but from the ground

I do the sills and frames with a damp towel round the crank but will do em with the ladders every few cleans just to make sure they're still good

You not good with a pole then tolish??
I do some houses purely by trad pole

Especially now i am using the adjustable crank on the harris pole

I like the flex of the pole and the 0° is brilliant as I use the crank to get the angle of a normal squeegee but from the ground

I do the sills and frames with a damp towel round the crank but will do em with the ladders every few cleans just to make sure they're still good
I'm not to bad with the pole, but it will never be as good as clean off a ladder. But if the custy had made me do it even though there was a better alternative, then I wouldn't do the best job of it on principle. /emoticons/biggrin.png

I like watching wagga with his wag on a harris pole

He is bloody good at it

I found someone better than me lol

(Only cos it's a wag though so don't need to change tools)

Back