Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Start up costs.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Trad when I first started - about £100. Used my car so just needed ladders, BOAB, Mop, Squeegee, Bucket etc etc.

When I switched to WFP - £12K. Including a van and a Pure Freedom system. Pole etc.

If someone hasn't cleaned a window before and has with respect neither real drive and ambition to run a successful window cleaning business then saying get a van on HP and spend 10k on a system, lead gen etc, this is something that needs fixing in one's mind from the outset @Chris33 & @P4dstar  are very good examples of people with a serious amount of drive and ambition and have built rounds from nothing in the last 2 years and been newbies to window cleaning. 
The suggestion was purely based on the best use of the money. I completely agree the person will need to make sure it’s what they want to do. In that case a backpack, CLX and door knocking to get started is the way to go. Once the person is serious, then invest in a van. I simply meant I don’t think it’s wise to drop 10K or so on a van and system when that’s the entire budget and then have to slowly build customers. Hope that makes sense. ?

The suggestion was purely based on the best use of the money. I completely agree the person will need to make sure it’s what they want to do. In that case a backpack, CLX and door knocking to get started is the way to go. Once the person is serious, then invest in a van. I simply meant I don’t think it’s wise to drop 10K or so on a van and system when that’s the entire budget and then have to slowly build customers. Hope that makes sense. ?
Yes 100%, I thought it was worth giving a bigger picture view as the poster hasn't started out as yet ?

If someone hasn't cleaned a window before and has with respect neither real drive and ambition to run a successful window cleaning business then saying get a van on HP and spend 10k on a system, lead gen etc, this is something that needs fixing in one's mind from the outset @Chris33 & @P4dstar  are very good examples of people with a serious amount of drive and ambition and have built rounds from nothing in the last 2 years and been newbies to window cleaning. 
Thanks dude, that's really kind.

I've spent thousands. Probably £10k+, I prefer not to think about it. If I started again tomorrow I reckon I could do it all again on 3K plus the van with exactly the same kit I have now.

I would buy,

Tank and frame £420

Ratchet straps £30

John Guest tubing and connections, bolts for the tank, Pro 26 connections, O Rings and jubilee clips etc £100ish

Hose reel £200

Leisure battery £110

Protectakote and various bits to mount things to the un-plied floor £100

RO System £650

Bag of Resin £75

Pole £300

Various Brush heads £200

Uniform £50

Leaflets £50

Business cards £20

Pump and controller £170

Cloths, scrim, buckets etc £100

Trad equipment £50

IBC Tank £50 - But look for one that has only been used for pure water if possible as they're a nightmare to clean out

Transfer pump and hose £60

DI Vessels £100

Various meters for the RO £100

Water containers £50

Backpack £100

I make that £3085 but to be exactly where I am now It would include...

Gutter vac £600 (Which I would buy again)

Pressure washer (Which I wouldn't buy again) £400

****EDIT****

Stick another £500 on top for things that have just come into my head like van sign writing, univalve etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
It all starts to add up especially when you buy things and then need to upgrade. Its better if you know someone in this game who can help you out. I had no one, so I just kept buying squeegees till I got the right one, must have a collection by now. The forum is good for telling you the market leader with equipment.

Thanks dude, that's really kind.

I've spent thousands. Probably £10k+, I prefer not to think about it. If I started again tomorrow I reckon I could do it all again on 3K plus the van with exactly the same kit I have now.

Not at all it's some achievement to build a business as you have in 18 months, I've never had any serious drive or ambition but I manage to get by ? having no kids has most likely been a factor 

£0 

That was my exact start up cost (round before this one) didn't have a penny, not even a vehicle.  Borrowed a neighbours ladder and applicator and squeegee from a mate on commercial vans.  Would literally walk the streets knocking doors and doing on the spot cleans. 

Yeah sure I've spent plenty since as I've grown and now employ and have also franchised my company but the original question was what were the start up costs. 

Still got that jumper @steve garwood ?

Not at all it's some achievement to build a business as you have in 18 months, I've never had any serious drive or ambition but I manage to get by ? having no kids as most likely been a factor 
Thats the thing about window cleaning. You can start and push hard or take it easy. You can pump money in or start with nothing like @Green Pro Clean Ltd says. Everyones business is different and everyone has different plans and ideas of success. I don't want to work alone forever, I plan to have a second man working with me, then a second van, get another working with me, 3rd van etc etc etc. Some lads only want a round of 400 customers, bring in 4-4.5k a month and have an easy life. Perhaps is I encounter the problems @adamangler has then I will think differently about growth but there is only one way to find out.

Window cleaning can be whatever you want it to be, if you want a part time job earning a few hundred a week it can be that, if you want a full time but simple life job and good money it can be that, and if you want to run a big business, loads of staff and bring in some pretty serious money long term it can also be that. 

Pick which one you want, aim for it, and try to enjoy it ?

Perhaps is I encounter the problems @adamangler has then I will think differently about growth

I'm going to speak totally out of turn now but......  the main problem @adamangler has is that he is a super nice non-confrontational sort of fellow.   I say this having met him personally and worked a couple of jobs with him back when.  Adams personality is not suited to the 'put on the size 11s and stamp down the authority' which is needed once in a while with growth.  

Never hire anyone that you aren't willing to fire as soon as the weather changes or the mood suits!   Distinguish well between friends and employees and be sure to keep the two seperate. 

This does not mean do not be friendly with an employee, nor does it mean don't give some work to a friend, but I would only give work to a friend 'truly in need' as opposed to a hiring a friend that thinks it may be 'a laugh' or 'nice to work with a mate'  Only hire a friend if they are in true hardship - even then I would prefer to loan them cash on a long term deal. 

I would now say 1,000 flyers at £35 was the best money I have spent on window cleaning. I even believe they are better than my website. The reason, I targeted one street where I have two customers. Must have posted 100 flyers and I got 2 great customers. After first cleans I got £30 from the two customers and this week I received £15 so the flyers are paid for themselves. You can also target a specific area where you are working or want to work. Checkatrade and website have got me work but its miles away with no continuity.

Flyers for me all day long!

I'm going to speak totally out of turn now but......  the main problem @adamangler has is that he is a super nice non-confrontational sort of fellow.   I say this having met him personally and worked a couple of jobs with him back when.  Adams personality is not suited to the 'put on the size 11s and stamp down the authority' which is needed once in a while with growth.  

Never hire anyone that you aren't willing to fire as soon as the weather changes or the mood suits!   Distinguish well between friends and employees and be sure to keep the two seperate. 

This does not mean do not be friendly with an employee, nor does it mean don't give some work to a friend, but I would only give work to a friend 'truly in need' as opposed to a hiring a friend that thinks it may be 'a laugh' or 'nice to work with a mate'  Only hire a friend if they are in true hardship - even then I would prefer to loan them cash on a long term deal. 

This year i employed a few guys, mainly part timers.

Although im not sure about the super nice bit, i must have become more brutal because i sacked one guy after a week!

Its true i did encounter problems @P4dstar but i think thats totally normal, theres always going to be problems. First chap i employed was a good worker but left to go on his own after a couple of months. Then i had the useless guy for a week, then i had a part timer for a few months but i couldnt get him to work to the quality i wanted...was getting complaints from poor work after he had been shown 100 times.......But here is where @Green Pro Clean Ltd has a point, i did find it difficult to give him a bollocking as it were and subsequently i have to wear some of the blame fro him not doing a great job....its easy to be too friendly with workers.

But its all been a learning curve, from recruitment, to payrol and employment law ive learnt a lot. Ive also learnt what to look out for and more importantly what does and doesnt work.

Ive also developed a system now for generating new work, i know how much 2 men can turnover and what my profit margins need to be etc.

Looking forward to next year to push on, grow and get a full timer on the books.......i think this part is key to finding a good un, full time hours.... at the moment i have a part timer helper on a zero hours contract

This year i employed a few guys, mainly part timers.

Although im not sure about the super nice bit, i must have become more brutal because i sacked one guy after a week!

Its true i did encounter problems @P4dstar but i think thats totally normal, theres always going to be problems. First chap i employed was a good worker but left to go on his own after a couple of months. Then i had the useless guy for a week, then i had a part timer for a few months but i couldnt get him to work to the quality i wanted...was getting complaints from poor work after he had been shown 100 times.......But here is where @Green Pro Clean Ltd has a point, i did find it difficult to give him a bollocking as it were and subsequently i have to wear some of the blame fro him not doing a great job....its easy to be too friendly with workers.

But its all been a learning curve, from recruitment, to payrol and employment law ive learnt a lot. Ive also learnt what to look out for and more importantly what does and doesnt work.

Ive also developed a system now for generating new work, i know how much 2 men can turnover and what my profit margins need to be etc.

Looking forward to next year to push on, grow and get a full timer on the books.......i think this part is key to finding a good un, full time hours.... at the moment i have a part timer helper on a zero hours contract
See that's where you went wrong, never employ a @Part Timer ???

But on a serious note it is difficult to give a blocking out, especially if you have no experience in doing it. I'm quite lucky that in nearly every job i've had since the age of 19 i've been a supervisor or a manager so i've gained a lot of experience in managing people. The relationship needs to be set out from the start. As soon as you head down the route of being ''friends'' with an employee and or letting anything slide then it becomes neigh on impossible to come back from that. Employees who have been allowed to get away with things will start playing the victim as soon as you start pulling them up on something, if you control the relationship from day one then you have a lot less issues to deal with.

What I have spouted above is pretty much from years of training courses I have sat through and in practice it isn't that easy for most kind hearted people!

See that's where you went wrong, never employ a @Part Timer ???

But on a serious note it is difficult to give a blocking out, especially if you have no experience in doing it. I'm quite lucky that in nearly every job i've had since the age of 19 i've been a supervisor or a manager so i've gained a lot of experience in managing people. The relationship needs to be set out from the start. As soon as you head down the route of being ''friends'' with an employee and or letting anything slide then it becomes neigh on impossible to come back from that. Employees who have been allowed to get away with things will start playing the victim as soon as you start pulling them up on something, if you control the relationship from day one then you have a lot less issues to deal with.

What I have spouted above is pretty much from years of training courses I have sat through and in practice it isn't that easy for most kind hearted people!

It would be easier if they are out on their own.

I work 2 man which means for me it's important to get on with the person you are working with.

There's nothing worse than sat in a van all day with someone you have nothing in common with and there's no conversation, it's really awkward.

It would be easier if they are out on their own.

I work 2 man which means for me it's important to get on with the person you are working with.

There's nothing worse than sat in a van all day with someone you have nothing in common with and there's no conversation, it's really awkward.
Is that why you only worked with @Green Pro Clean Ltd on a couple of jobs ?? Nah, to be fair you're 100% right mate. The extra income from another person isn't worth spending your working day miserable!

i originally spent £1200 on a van,ladders,scrims,etc back in 1993 and paid £80 for a very small round(2 days a month)which quickly turned into one days work (the work was that bad!?).........

25 years on ive spent over 30k on my current set up including diesel heater,new van,xtreme poles and electric reels......basically the best window cleaning equipment on the market to make this job as easy and stress free as possible......

Back