Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Started the GC process

WCF

Help Support WCF:

AllGleam

Hi, I've started the GoCardless process hopefully done it right to suit my business pay 1% every transaction, instead of the per month fee its being verified as i type. Now when its asking for plan setting i assume its customer details, i will ask majority of customers that im switching too mainly the forgetful ones good payers i will leave alone unless forced to use maybe a dumb question do i ask for bank details or send link to DD setup never used it before so want to get it right any advice or simple set steps be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I've started the GoCardless process hopefully done it right to suit my business pay 1% every transaction, instead of the per month fee its being verified as i type. Now when its asking for plan setting i assume its customer details, i will ask majority of customers that im switching too mainly the forgetful ones good payers i will leave alone unless forced to use maybe a dumb question do i ask for bank details or send link to DD setup never used it before so want to get it right any advice or simple set steps be greatly appreciated.
Good man you won't regret it (y)

Best thing to do is to set up a direct debit for yourself and set up yourself another new temporary email address just to see what happens. When I first started I created a 'plan', don't do this as it's not what we need and you will find it just messes everything up.

Basically send yourself a link to set up the direct debit, send the link to your 'temporary email address', then click the link and you'll see what happens from the customers view point. To send yourself a link, click on 'customers' then click on 'add customers', then click on the 'email' tab, type the customer email address in there followed by your own message that they will see when they open the email.

Once you have set yourself up on direct debit (think you might have to use a different bank account to the one you're collecting payments), well once you're set up then you just go on customer list, click on yourself and then click 'create'. You will then be shown 3 options these being 'Subscription', 'Payment' and 'Instant Payment'. If you cleaned your house today you would then click on the customer list, click on your name, click on 'create' then click on 'payment' and fill out the amount you want to charge. That's it, done.

'Instant Payment' is a new feature that allows you to take the payment instantly. I don't use this as I like to allow my customers a few days heads up before payment comes out their account, so 'create' then 'payment' works best for me.

If you play about with it you will find all the other options, such as take the payment on a certain date. Take the payment once every week, once every 4 weeks, once every month, last day of each month... etc. Loads of options.

But for simplicity, customer, then 'create' then 'payment' is what I use mainly.

Best thing to do is to set up a direct debit for yourself and set up yourself another new temporary email address just to see what happens. When I first started I created a 'plan', don't do this as it's not what we need and you will find it just messes everything up.

Basically send yourself a link to set up the direct debit, send the link to your 'temporary email address', then click the link and you'll see what happens from the customers view point. To send yourself a link, click on 'customers' then click on 'add customers', then click on the 'email' tab, type the customer email address in there followed by your own message that they will see when they open the email.

Once you have set yourself up on direct debit (think you might have to use a different bank account to the one you're collecting payments), well once you're set up then you just go on customer list, click on yourself and then click 'create'. You will then be shown 3 options these being 'Subscription', 'Payment' and 'Instant Payment'. If you cleaned your house today you would then click on the customer list, click on your name, click on 'create' then click on 'payment' and fill out the amount you want to charge. That's it, done.

'Instant Payment' is a new feature that allows you to take the payment instantly. I don't use this as I like to allow my customers a few days heads up before payment comes out their account, so 'create' then 'payment' works best for me.

If you play about with it you will find all the other options, such as take the payment on a certain date. Take the payment once every week, once every 4 weeks, once every month, last day of each month... etc. Loads of options.

But for simplicity, customer, then 'create' then 'payment' is what I use mainly.
Lol you lost me with the first sentence ????

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Thanks alot Chris thats great appreciate it ? got to wait on verification email for the £0.01 deposit confirmation then I'll have a crack at it

Thanks alot Chris thats great appreciate it ? got to wait on verification email for the £0.01 deposit confirmation then I'll have a crack at it
No problem. I've still got my first customer on 'a plan', to this day it's about 1.5 weeks late each clean as they're stuck on once every 4 weeks and it has to tie in with the other customers nearby. So it's on a once every 4 week plan, whereas my other customers are not on a plan it's just payment after the clean. Been like this for 2 years now and they're fine.

It's best to get it right from the outset, otherwise it can get a bit messy if you have some on plans, some on payment on certain dates and some on payment after the clean.

As discussed in another thread though, I'm considering having all customers billed on a certain date upfront before the clean, that way it's automated and you have no work to do collecting the payment. For me it's less work and also it seems that there is less chance of them delaying the clean for silly excuses in an attempt to delay the payment.

Gocardless is even more convenient if you have an app. For instance with Squeegee I just have to swipe the job as done and it automatically sorts the payment out. Much easier than manually creating the payment each time on the dashboard in a browser.
Also the invoice that gets sent out has a clickable button that takes the customer to a partially filled in customer form to set up gocardless.

I have been using GC since 2014 so things have no doubt changed in the last 8+ years.

I have a dedicated payment on my website new sign-ups get sent a link to that page on my site lots of info for them to read through then there is a widget on the page they have to put the first line of their address in the box and click on Pay With GoCardless button that then takes them to a secure GC page and they fill out the mandate once that's done they get an email from GC confirming the direct debit I also get an email confirming the direct debit I then add all their details into Cleaner Planner and sync with GC,

from then on in it's practically fully automated I just mark jobs done each day and make payment requests via CP then the money is in my bank within 5 working days, I have over 350 jobs paying via GC it has been an absolute god send to me and I couldn't be without.

I would love to make the change, I have 400 customers there or there abouts. I just think it'd be hard, especially with all that's going on at the moment in the world. Even though people commit to your service and pay you each month regardless, a direct debit feels so much more official and I think that scares a lot of people.

For example, I drink coffee every morning from the Costa machine - let's say it costs me £3 a day, but if you told me I had to set up a direct debit of say £30 a month which allowed me to skip queuing up to pay at the tills and meant I'd pay the exact same, I'd still probably be sitting there thinking I'm not paying that a month.

I would love to make the change, I have 400 customers there or there abouts. I just think it'd be hard, especially with all that's going on at the moment in the world. Even though people commit to your service and pay you each month regardless, a direct debit feels so much more official and I think that scares a lot of people.

For example, I drink coffee every morning from the Costa machine - let's say it costs me £3 a day, but if you told me I had to set up a direct debit of say £30 a month which allowed me to skip queuing up to pay at the tills and meant I'd pay the exact same, I'd still probably be sitting there thinking I'm not paying that a month.
I think the realisation that your spe £30.00 a month on ? coffee will make you think twice ?

Hate to break it to you but that's £60 per month not £30, and that's if it's only on weekdays ? have a good day :LOL:

I can see your point as im similar with regards some insurances on appliances by the time it breaks down i could of bought a new one for what id paid over time per month i was graduating it into business to give customers options too as there will be some that won't ie older people who pay cash and customers that pay cash or send bank trans religiously, which im happy to keep as its aimed really for the customers that forget and to hopefully save them time. I feel my customers have the faith in my reliability and professionalism with policy that even if weather stops or any other issues arises that i resume where left off so never missed maybe delayed. I thought efficiency its easier as i thought it be harder convincing trad custs to go wfp but its keeping up with the time tbh

Look at it like this before I started using GoCardless. I used to collect like most people spend at lest two hours a week that’s minimum eight hours a month that’s a whole day I’m not getting paid, not to mention the cost of diesel at least one tank £90 a tank now, like you I got about 400ish customers & 75% are on GoCardless all new customer go on it, honestly it’s best thing I’ve done

I suppose I also don't see a need for it as I don't go out and collect cash, everyone pays me on the day or online- I have the occasional bad payer but they all come right before they are next due 99.9% of the time

I have been using GC since 2014 so things have no doubt changed in the last 8+ years.

I have a dedicated payment on my website new sign-ups get sent a link to that page on my site lots of info for them to read through then there is a widget on the page they have to put the first line of their address in the box and click on Pay With GoCardless button that then takes them to a secure GC page and they fill out the mandate once that's done they get an email from GC confirming the direct debit I also get an email confirming the direct debit I then add all their details into Cleaner Planner and sync with GC,

from then on in it's practically fully automated I just mark jobs done each day and make payment requests via CP then the money is in my bank within 5 working days, I have over 350 jobs paying via GC it has been an absolute god send to me and I couldn't be without.
Does the customer have to authorise the request for payment each time or is it automatically done ? What happens if there is insufficient funds in that account ?

Does the customer have to authorise the request for payment each time or is it automatically done ? What happens if there is insufficient funds in that account ?

Customer doesn't authorise it, they get an email but not everyone checks them. You could take £100 out everyday if you wanted until the customer canceled it. I think the maximum it let's you take per day is £500. And if they have been over charged go cardelss doesn't want to know, you don't contact them with the problem it's your bank you go to. Banks are getting tighter now with handing money back and if you have been negligent in it happening then there putting the blame on the person.

Go cardless is the best way of getting paid, I didn't go ahead with it because I wouldn't ask anyone to sign up for something that I myself wouldn't. I'm not saying anyone on here is going to do it but someone is going to get alot of money taken from them by someone using this. We all have customers on our round who could easily be taken advantage of with something like this.

We all have customers on our round who could easily be taken advantage of with something like this.
Just to pick up on this, this is one of the benefits of GC. I have a customer in her 80's who has the early onset of dementia. She is on GC and her daughter checks over all her accounts to look after her. If she was paying cash I could easily take advantage of her.

I have another customer who has dementia and she pays cash, each time she thinks it's £25 but I have to tell her it's not, it's £20. The reality is I could tell her it's £50 and she probably would pay it and nobody would be non the wiser.

So that's another plus point for it, the ability to monitor how much you're charging them.

Just to pick up on this, this is one of the benefits of GC. I have a customer in her 80's who has the early onset of dementia. She is on GC and her daughter checks over all her accounts to look after her. If she was paying cash I could easily take advantage of her.

I have another customer who has dementia and she pays cash, each time she thinks it's £25 but I have to tell her it's not, it's £20. The reality is I could tell her it's £50 and she probably would pay it and nobody would be non the wiser.

So that's another plus point for it, the ability to monitor how much you're charging them.

I do admit for ourselfs its the best option out there by some distance. If the customer knew that by signing up to it then gave you authority to attempt to take out money from there bank daily if you wanted to then I'd guess hardly any would sign up. The customers will think it gives you access to collect one window paymeant and not anymore.

Some people don't check emails so it could be missed if an extra one is taken out. I know a few window cleaners with a massive cocaine problem, addictions make you do things that you wouldn't normally do. I wouldn't fancy them having me signed up to go cardless. Who's to say I don't end up on drugs next year? 38 now so the chances are very unlikely. I don't think sole traders in general should be trusted with that kind of responsibility. Access to hundreds of peoples bank accounts as a sole trader Where's there's no chain of command for it to get picked up by a colleague etc on our end is a disaster waiting to happen. Someone will try £500 out every account and retire in the Caribbean.

I do admit for ourselfs its the best option out there by some distance. If the customer knew that by signing up to it then gave you authority to attempt to take out money from there bank daily if you wanted to then I'd guess hardly any would sign up. The customers will think it gives you access to collect one window paymeant and not anymore.

Some people don't check emails so it could be missed if an extra one is taken out. I know a few window cleaners with a massive cocaine problem, addictions make you do things that you wouldn't normally do. I wouldn't fancy them having me signed up to go cardless. Who's to say I don't end up on drugs next year? 38 now so the chances are very unlikely. I don't think sole traders in general should be trusted with that kind of responsibility. Access to hundreds of peoples bank accounts as a sole trader Where's there's no chain of command for it to get picked up by a colleague etc on our end is a disaster waiting to happen. Someone will try £500 out every account and retire in the Caribbean.
Most down hear won’t sign up to it for the very reasons mentioned in this thread , I wouldn’t it’s not something I want to get involved with either but interested in how it all works , so guessing if the job price us more than £500 you would have to do several transaction s until the amount was paid ?

Most down hear won’t sign up to it for the very reasons mentioned in this thread , I wouldn’t it’s not something I want to get involved with either but interested in how it all works , so guessing if the job price us more than £500 you would have to do several transaction s until the amount was paid ?

I'm not sure, when I spoke to go cardless I asked what systems were in place incase I made am error and put £90 instead of £9. Thats when they told me it would take the £90 if the customer didn't notice in the email. They said £500 can be taken out each day. When I asked them who on there right mind is giving someone they don't know access to there bank which authorises that person to try a paymrant everyday if they liked, without saying it directly they told me that doesn't need to be disclosed to the customer. They then said Vodafone etc all collect paymeants where accidents can happen with extra money taken etc. I said so I've to start comparing myself to billion pound companies to put them at ease. You'd get laughed away from the door.

Back