Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting a window cleaning company

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Nick bristow

Hi All

I have a few questions.

Firstly can anyone recommend a van for me,I've been looking at Citroen Dispatch,and VW Caddy,I also like fiat vans,wondered what peeps think of my van ideas.

And what are the first steps I need to take,I have already got me pole and tank etc.

Does anyone feel advertising via the Internet is better than paper flyers etc?

Any feedback would be great

This website is absolutely rammed with all the information you could ever need on getting started... Get searching...

Welcome. I like Trafic /Vivaros.

In small vans i like Connects.

Every windy on here will agree that good old cold canvassing on the doors will produce the best results time after time.

Take a browse about. Use the search feature at the top to find what you need fast. Everything tou want to know can be found in the search function. If you cant find it there then ask something specific and it will be answered. /emoticons/smile.png

First steps? Make sure they you can clean with that gear. Seriously, wfp looks simple, but people starting out with it make mistakes that leave windows not clean. So, practice before taking on paying customers. Get as many new cleans as you can. You can only 'clean' so much by cleaning your own windows every day, as you are 'cleaning' clean windows. So, ask friends, relatives etc if you can practice on their windows and ensure that either you check them the next dry day, from inside the house or they do. Be honest, make sure they are honest with exactly how clean they are. We are paid for clean windows, not for going through the actions.

Also make sure that you can clean the insides traditionally i.e. with applicator and squeegee. And be happy with being watched closely by the home owner as you do them.

Don't go buying vans and expensive gear until you know this business works for you

Too many expensive setups on ebay as they couldn't make the business work

Buy a backpack for 100 notes

Buy some pure water from somewhere or spend £160 on a 450gpd ro and a di unless you are lucky and can use di only

Chuck it in your car and get working

If you start getting a good amount of work then get the van etc

You will always need the stuff to produce water and a backpack for access issues anyway so no money wasted

Just my opinion mind

View attachment 6402 Must agree with Davey ! It's tempting to get it all set and established at once , but start small use Your own car (guessing you have one ) . I've buildt and sold my business once cause I wanted to try roofcleaning out after 12 years . Starting from scratch 2 times learned me patience and the only way to money is smart and hard work . Money you can spend on better newer gear to become even smarter working and faster. Today I have a small Peugeot bipper van , nice and neat van setup , all gear bought by earned money , and the costumers to back it up. Took me about 3 years.:thumbsup:

Thanks for all your comments and ideas.

My best friend has his own window cleaning company so I'm learning as I go with him.

My friend said its best to register your company when you have money coming in,is that the best thing to do before contacting hmrc?

You legally have 3 months from the first day of trading to register

You can make it a bit longer if you are crafty like not recording any work for a month or 2 but i wouldn't push it too far

@David K interesting ..So your off the Windows now and cleaning roofs ?

I love doing the roofs

Busy now but I'd like to chat later
Hi taxloss ! /emoticons/smile.png

No it was a thing I've tried out and me and a buddy cleaned about 150-200 roofs before I decided to go back to the windows. I liked it ,but it was a bit more complicated and time consuming with qoutes and lower rate of " getting the jobs " you know .

It was mostly spraying for algae, and sometimes the dirty moss cleaning .and a bit of patios -driveways . So I sold my pressure washer and gear ,and bought my Diy wfp gear. I mostly had equipment for roofs , my business partner had a large van with hot water pressure washer and chimney, a real wash-bus :thumbsup:

It was fun , but windows are simple easy money for the most as we all know. :thumbsup: What kind of jobs do you do tax !?

Yes I just do roofs as an add on

And only for the right customer

Not the fussy tight arsed ones

Just use very stiff Vikan brush on old pole, shurflo back pack , hypo , ubik , and a little karcher with extending lance

Really enjoy it but Windows feeds my family of 7

Thanks for all your comments and ideas.My best friend has his own window cleaning company so I'm learning as I go with him.

My friend said its best to register your company when you have money coming in,is that the best thing to do before contacting hmrc?
Hmrc ? What's that ? I'm up north we ant got one

Welcome to the forum @Nick bristow :thumbsup: And good luck with it all!

The other chaps will be a lot more helpful with the interesting stuff, but if you have any questions on the boring stuff (like insurance for example) just get in touch /emoticons/smile.png

Latest Posts

Back