Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting back up

WCF

Help Support WCF:

New old boy

Hi All
Myself being a retired window cleaner after some 38 plus years, I need to get out and potter around with a few window cleaning jobs & do a bit of work, also help keep my body alive, & out chatting with people, so work because I want to work & NOT because I have to work, As now completly out of touch, whats the best way to pick up house window jobe, I have done social media etc and have gaind some jobe that I am pleased with.
Can you guys please advise your ideas?
Thank you all again
Regards

Hi All
Myself being a retired window cleaner after some 38 plus years, I need to get out and potter around with a few window cleaning jobs & do a bit of work, also help keep my body alive, & out chatting with people, so work because I want to work & NOT because I have to work, As now completly out of touch, whats the best way to pick up house window jobe, I have done social media etc and have gaind some jobe that I am pleased with.
Thank you all again
Regards
Get out in the big world and knock on door and introduce yourself
Plenty of very detailed information on here on how to start up
Canvassing
Insurance
Websites
Payment and planning services

Try the search bar at the top of the page

Hi All
Thank you all again
Regards
You probably have more knowledge through experience than most of us have.

Nothing has changed with window cleaning.

I get it that you want to get out and do a bit of work to keep yourself fairly fit in your older years. I'm sure if I didn't keep active, I would be in a wheelchair now at best.

But the moment you say you want to work, not because you have to work, is a red flag to me. I don't see that as the motivation needed to keep cleaning windows in the dead of winter. Why not walk up and sit on a bench in a public area and strike up conversations with others there. You can then enjoy the fresh air when the weather permits, and stay inside when it doesn't. Charity shops are always looking for volunteers.

As you get older, you need drive to continue window cleaning. That's my experience. Some days I wish I could just sit at home and do nothing. Over the years I have known a number of window cleaners who have retired, but kept on a few bungalows for pocket money. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but they never did clean these chosen houses for long after they retired.

As you get older, you need drive to continue window cleaning. That's my experience. Some days I wish I could just sit at home and do nothing. Over the years I have known a number of window cleaners who have retired, but kept on a few bungalows for pocket money. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but they never did clean these chosen houses for long after they retired.
Just curious are you working full days and 5 days a week?

I plan to continue to work as long as I can because some oap's I had known all my life when I was younger said its best to keep active because it all goes wrong when you stop, at 49 years old I keep on planning do have a 4 day week and I'm almost there that will shift to a 3 day week maybe in two years time I'll just see how things go

Just curious are you working full days and 5 days a week?

I plan to continue to work as long as I can because some oap's I had known all my life when I was younger said its best to keep active because it all goes wrong when you stop, at 49 years old I keep on planning do have a 4 day week and I'm almost there that will shift to a 3 day week maybe in two years time I'll just see how things go
Hi Iron Giant,
thank you for your reply and very much appreciated, however, not sure what you mean by a “Red flag”??? I can only assume, & yes only assume, if you think I will be out cleaning windows in freezing weather, then it appears to me that you have no idea what so ever about window cleaning or maybe new at it. Please do bear in mind that I have been window cleaning since 1985, so I think I do have some idea what I am talking about. As mentioned, its not only a few bob coming in, being 65 years old, its about keeping healthy and meeting people and staying in touch with the outside world….

Hi Iron Giant,
thank you for your reply and very much appreciated, however, not sure what you mean by a “Red flag”??? I can only assume, & yes only assume, if you think I will be out cleaning windows in freezing weather, then it appears to me that you have no idea what so ever about window cleaning or maybe new at it. Please do bear in mind that I have been window cleaning since 1985, so I think I do have some idea what I am talking about. As mentioned, its not only a few bob coming in, being 65 years old, its about keeping healthy and meeting people and staying in touch with the outside world….
I’ve been doing it since 1991 and will be out there in freezing weather
How does that mean I know nothing?

Hi Iron Giant,
It wasn't directed at you at all I quoted @spruce as I have known him for a good few years and wanted to know how he was managing at 72 years old.

As for me knowing nothing I have been window cleaning for around 30 years and over 24 years of those running my own business.

Water freezing???. Anyway, I really cannot be bothered with this, so leave it there....
With respect you have in my opinion got muddled quoting the wrong replies from other members and myself @spruce raised some valid points as someone who is older, then me and @Dave B had a bit of joke between ourselves, you were disrespectful to me saying I must know nothing about window cleaning,

You have spat your dummy and given up far too easily

Back