Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Just starting up. Advice appreciated.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

You think the attached reel is worth going for?
It's a great opinion however it's still a physical work out when you need to wind it in as you'll be fighting the hose wires.

A key it for you. Always buy spare equipment such as a hose because if you blow a hose or damage it when dragging it you lose a day or more in work whilst waiting for replacements

Pressure washing is a great test of fitness

Yes the best choice ever. I have two. You can't beat the stainless steel trolley. They last longer than a dual pumps powder coated frame that will eventually blow and rust
It's a great opinion however it's still a physical work out when you need to wind it in as you'll be fighting the hose wires.

A key it for you. Always buy spare equipment such as a hose because if you blow a hose or damage it when dragging it you lose a day or more in work whilst waiting for replacements

Pressure washing is a great test of fitness
may leave the reel off the list for now then, think it’s an unnecessary piece of equipment and not an essential piece of kit to get me going, just another expense isn’t it, same as the FSC, will just add them on in time I think. I can imagine mate, but It will keep me fit and the beer belly down lol.

may leave the reel off the list for now then, think it’s an unnecessary piece of equipment and not an essential piece of kit to get me going, just another expense isn’t it, same as the FSC, will just add them on in time I think. I can imagine mate, but It will keep me fit and the beer belly down lol.
I keep looking at reels as the hoses are such an **** to coil up but the weight attached to the frame has put me off.

Definitely consider an FSC. There’s rarely a time when I would use a turbo for a whole space. Just too messy. Cut in the edges, then FSC then turbo for any weeds that the FSC doesn’t shift.

Another thing worth bearing in mind and might only be relevant to me as I don’t do that many pressure washing jobs and they’re mostly for repeat regulars or bookings way in advance but I go a week before if I can and spray weeds with glyphosate. Kills them all by the time you’re back, and more importantly kills the roots so you haven’t got the client back a week later complaining that their driveway clean hasn’t lasted.

I keep looking at reels as the hoses are such an **** to coil up but the weight attached to the frame has put me off.

Definitely consider an FSC. There’s rarely a time when I would use a turbo for a whole space. Just too messy. Cut in the edges, then FSC then turbo for any weeds that the FSC doesn’t shift.

Another thing worth bearing in mind and might only be relevant to me as I don’t do that many pressure washing jobs and they’re mostly for repeat regulars or bookings way in advance but I go a week before if I can and spray weeds with glyphosate. Kills them all by the time you’re back, and more importantly kills the roots so you haven’t got the client back a week later complaining that their driveway clean hasn’t lasted.
I wouldn't recommend anyone sprays weeds. Leave it to the homeowner or gardener. More chemicals more associated risks and a larger degree of liability.

I make my own weedkiller which is food grade minus the washing up liquid

I wouldn't recommend anyone sprays weeds. Leave it to the homeowner or gardener. More chemicals more associated risks and a larger degree of liability.

You need a licence to spray weed killer. I’m personally going to tell the homeowner to treat the weeds themselves several days before hand as @AWservices said there is more risks and liability. Preferably I’d prefer the homeowner to treat the areas before hand but that is on them, as long is I make them aware the weeds will come back if not treated it’s up to them, but I’d hate to see a job I have done have weeds back in a months time.

You need a licence to spray weed killer. I’m personally going to tell the homeowner to treat the weeds themselves several days before hand as @AWservices said there is more risks and liability. Preferably I’d prefer the homeowner to treat the areas before hand but that is on them, as long is I make them aware the weeds will come back if not treated it’s up to them, but I’d hate to see a job I have done have weeds back in a months time.

I’m primarily a landscaper and garden designer. All good for me and not a complicated thing to be licensed. Makes the job a lot easier.

They’ll be back in days if you don’t get the roots out.

yrs back i read somewhere that if you spread rocksalt down it kills everything long term ,i once bought a bag of rocksalt in Winter so i could use it once the weeds started growing in the Spring but then totally forgot about it-till now!

They’ll be back in days if you don’t get the roots out.
I can’t see why anyone wouldn’t weed kill before someone comes out to do their drive or patio but if I think it’s a necessity to get a licence down the line it’s something I’d look into. But as this only going to be a side job for now, until I see where it takes me (enough work to employ for this or for my other business and me do it full time) I’m just going to start off with the basics, get some experience on the job and go from there. Its all a learning curve and personally for me, I can do as much research as I want but I’m a hands on learner and watching videos and reading up on stuff helps, but doing it yourself is a different thing. Going to ring Rutland pumps on Monday and get my order placed.

I can’t see why anyone wouldn’t weed kill before someone comes out to do their drive or patio but if I think it’s a necessity to get a licence down the line it’s something I’d look into. But as this only going to be a side job for now, until I see where it takes me (enough work to employ for this or for my other business and me do it full time) I’m just going to start off with the basics, get some experience on the job and go from there. Its all a learning curve and personally for me, I can do as much research as I want but I’m a hands on learner and watching videos and reading up on stuff helps, but doing it yourself is a different thing. Going to ring Rutland pumps on Monday and get my order placed.
Because some of them will be in a horrific state. They’ll expect all the weeds gone as part of a ‘clean’. Paying you is why they won’t be doing it themselves. Just factor in any version of removal you choose when you’re pricing.

Because some of them will be in a horrific state. They’ll expect all the weeds gone as part of a ‘clean’. Paying you is why they won’t be doing it themselves. Just factor in any version of removal you choose when you’re pricing.
That’s a fair point. Didn’t look at it that way. Will look into it, does it take much for licence, is their a corse you need to do etc?

yrs back i read somewhere that if you spread rocksalt down it kills everything long term ,i once bought a bag of rocksalt in Winter so i could use it once the weeds started growing in the Spring but then totally forgot about it-till now!
I make my owner weedkiller that I only use at home or the rental homes my family own

5L or 85% food grade white vinegar
1Kg of table salt
1/2 bottle of fairy washing up liquid

Works perfectly and so inert it's super safe

Equip2clean do knowledge training days which might benefit new starters learn some techniques and equipment use

I make my owner weedkiller that I only use at home or the rental homes my family own

5L or 85% food grade white vinegar
1Kg of table salt
1/2 bottle of fairy washing up liquid

Works perfectly and so inert it's super safe
does it kill the ground forever ? iv noticed that any ground that has a vehicle parked on it dies [fuel vapour praps] and also anywhere that has engine oil on it the same . Thinking about it same with urine! theres a spot in a nearby town i tend to park up at lunchtimes the ground there nothing grows and Absolutely reeks!

That’s a fair point. Didn’t look at it that way. Will look into it, does it take much for licence, is their a corse you need to do etc?
Google pesticide application licence.

Something like this.

does it kill the ground forever ? iv noticed that any ground that has a vehicle parked on it dies [fuel vapour praps] and also anywhere that has engine oil on it the same . Thinking about it same with urine! theres a spot in a nearby town i tend to park up at lunchtimes the ground there nothing grows and Absolutely reeks!
Salt will kill everything and poison the soil. Try explaining that to clients when it washes into their flower beds. A systemic weed killer like glyphosate is absorbed on the leaves of the plant that you’ve sprayed only, kills the plant and roots and is pet-safe as soon as dry. Does no harm to soil.

To be honest forget I mentioned it. I’m over complicating it for you and I’m probably the only person who does it this way.

Yes. It's like a bad day in Hiroshima 🌇🌅☄️

Latest Posts

Back