Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Just starting up. Advice appreciated.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

@Daniel1989 yes catering is very different, but still busy and interesting I expect. I know what you mean about being busy, I have suffered a little bit with my mental health over the last couple of years, particularly late last year and early this year. Being busy working I genuinely find has made me feel alot better. I have only ever pressure washed small areas - garden patios and a couple of customers have asked me to do their garden steps before. They weren't too dirty and came up a treat with my electric nilfisk pressure washer and some mild detergent. You'll be able to do more intense and bigger jobs that will need the sort of kit you are purchasing, but of course they will be paying much better too 👍
glad it made you better been busy, hope your feeling better now. Yeah main reason asking for advice is the finish, can’t have people paying good money for a job and the final result not been up to standard.

Get a 21lpm 13hp 2900psi or bigger. 15lpm isn't a great choice trust me....

Reference to facia & gutter cleaning, read up on electrical safety regarding overhead power lines and the risk of serious injury or accidental death because we've had too many bad cases where lack of knowledge and zero improvements from the national grid are a huge risk

Will look into it, only problem is space but sure can figure it out. Do you have any recommendations on specific machines in that range? Thanks for the insight of power lines, just had a skim through some of it but will look through it all properly, can never be too safe. Thanks for that.

Last edited:
Will look into it, only problem is space but sure can figure it out. Do you have any recommendations on specific machines in that range? Thanks for the insight of power lines, just had a skim through some of it but will look through it all properly, can never be too safe. Thanks for that.
Rutland pumps - watertek range 1st choice briggs & Stratton variant 2nd choice Honda GX390 variant

catering and cleaning id not want to be doing both bag of crud in the octa among the food pile

I have seen this on the jet mac website it comes with a Loncin engine, have you heard any good/bad reviews on their engines? You can upgrade the engine on the kit to a Honda gx390 for an additional 335. Seems a reasonable price. https://jetmac.co.uk/shop/ols/products/loncin-g420-tornado-gearboxed-package

I have seen this on the jet mac website it comes with a Loncin engine, have you heard any good/bad reviews on their engines? You can upgrade the engine on the kit to a Honda gx390 for an additional 335. Seems a reasonable price. https://jetmac.co.uk/shop/ols/products/loncin-g420-tornado-gearboxed-package
Mines a Loncin. Think they’re a Honda copy if I recall. Had no issues with it. Honda is clearly regarded as the standard in most small engine scenarios so if you have the money I’d go for it.

However look at weight and buffer tank as I mentioned. A 21lpm is obviously better but it also empties a tank quicker so you’ll need a bigger one. How are you going to get a wheelie bin in your Octavia?

Rutland pumps - watertek range 1st choice briggs & Stratton variant 2nd choice Honda GX390 variant
I have just sent another message before I seen you reccomend these. Seen many mention Rutland pumps and to ring Ben as he is great help lol. Think I will give them a call today on some info on the machines.
Mines a Loncin. Think they’re a Honda copy if I recall. Had no issues with it. Honda is clearly regarded as the standard in most small engine scenarios so if you have the money I’d go for it.

However look at weight and buffer tank as I mentioned. A 21lpm is obviously better but it also empties a tank quicker so you’ll need a bigger one. How are you going to get a wheelie bin in your Octavia?
Preferably I’d go Honda anyways I know they’re reliable, unless I get a lot of people seating by the Loncin. What I didn’t mention in my earlier posts (just to not overcomplicate the post) that if I got the info like I am now, that I will need a bigger machine etc. i do have a small trailer what I can use, will just need a towbar fitting. I was hoping to save money and the logistics of sorting all that out if I could get away with using the car but it’s looking like just using the car is now the complication lol. Plan was to use a flexi tank but now I will just get a tow bar, get a wheeli bin and get a 21l machine. Will run me up another 1.5k or so that I didn’t want to spend for now but no point spending 2.5-3k on all equipment for doing half a job when I can spend that little bit extra what will actually get the job done. Yous think that sounds like a better option all round?

I have just sent another message before I seen you reccomend these. Seen many mention Rutland pumps and to ring Ben as he is great help lol. Think I will give them a call today on some info on the machines.

Preferably I’d go Honda anyways I know they’re reliable, unless I get a lot of people seating by the Loncin. What I didn’t mention in my earlier posts (just to not overcomplicate the post) that if I got the info like I am now, that I will need a bigger machine etc. i do have a small trailer what I can use, will just need a towbar fitting. I was hoping to save money and the logistics of sorting all that out if I could get away with using the car but it’s looking like just using the car is now the complication lol. Plan was to use a flexi tank but now I will just get a tow bar, get a wheeli bin and get a 21l machine. Will run me up another 1.5k or so that I didn’t want to spend for now but no point spending 2.5-3k on all equipment for doing half a job when I can spend that little bit extra what will actually get the job done. Yous think that sounds like a better option all round?
A Rutland pumps 21lpm Honda, including a standard lance with quick connect 1/4 fitting for generic colour tips, a turbo nozzle lance, 1x 10m & 1x 30m high pressure 2 wire hose and 20" BE whirlaway FSC cost me £2400 Inc VAT when I brought mine in 2021

All the information and package deals are all clearly listed on the website. I wouldn't bother ringing until after you've browsed the website and have an understanding of what's what

I have a flexi tank and wouldn't recommend using one. You may want to move your water supply if using a 10m hose and with a flex tank you can just move it without emptying it unlike a wheelie bin where you can still move it with 50L of water in it

A Rutland pumps 21lpm Honda, including a standard lance with quick connect 1/4 fitting for generic colour tips, a turbo nozzle lance, 1x 10m & 1x 30m high pressure 2 wire hose and 20" BE whirlaway FSC cost me £2400 Inc VAT when I brought mine in 2021

All the information and package deals are all clearly listed on the website. I wouldn't bother ringing until after you've browsed the website and have an understanding of what's what

I have a flexi tank and wouldn't recommend using one. You may want to move your water supply if using a 10m hose and with a flex tank you can just move it without emptying it unlike a wheelie bin where you can still move it with 50L of water in it
I have looked but it doesn’t give you the option to change the engine what I can see, will have another check. just gives the Loncin engine spec and price I think. I liked the look of the kits on Rutland but were a bit over my budget. Now I have got plenty advice I am upping the budget, getting a bigger machine and will have to get a towbar on the car and use a trailer, this will give more space to use a bin as a tank etc. within 24 hours I have had enough advice to make me see a better path, that’s why I come on this page. Greatful for the advice

Forget what I said, found the Honda engine machine, was right in front of my eyes lol 🙄

It’s good that you have got the window cleaning round, and also you want to add these other jobs.
I do think you need to register with HMRC otherwise you could end up with problems. You also need public liability. I wouldn’t consider buying equipment without these in place. It’s a must for yourself and the person who’s property your working on.

It’s good that you have got the window cleaning round, and also you want to add these other jobs.
I do think you need to register with HMRC otherwise you could end up with problems. You also need public liability. I wouldn’t consider buying equipment without these in place. It’s a must for yourself and the person who’s property your working on.
I already have a business so I know everything I need on the hmrc and public liability side of things. I have jobs set in place but on hold until have done my research on the pressure washer most suitable, then I will buy my equipment, do several jobs for free for friends and family (including my own driveway etc) to get a feel for it and go from there. As this is only a side job in my free time I am taking my time to try get the things I don’t know right. Had some decent info and advice off people on this page over the last few days 👍🏻

I would leave out the FSC - esp. for anything under 21 LPM - turbo maybe messy but it will give a deeper better clean and on Brickweave remove the weeds - with the correct technique its as fast as a FSC

FSC - ideal for Tarmac and concrete - but you will need to lance all the edges and the residue takes a while to rinse down

I’m
I would leave out the FSC - esp. for anything under 21 LPM - turbo maybe messy but it will give a deeper better clean and on Brickweave remove the weeds - with the correct technique its as fast as a FSC

FSC - ideal for Tarmac and concrete - but you will need to lance all the edges and the residue takes a while to rinse down

I already have a business so I know everything I need on the hmrc and public liability side of things. I have jobs set in place but on hold until have done my research on the pressure washer most suitable, then I will buy my equipment, do several jobs for free for friends and family (including my own driveway etc) to get a feel for it and go from there. As this is only a side job in my free time I am taking my time to try get the things I don’t know right. Had some decent info and advice off people on this page over the last few days 👍🏻
@Daniel1989 is there a hire shop near you where you could hire a pressure washer to do the jobs for your family and your driveway, and see how you got on? I know you need to pay to hire it but you'd get a good feel for the job for a fraction of the cost of actually buying it all. Only a thought and might be an idea.

Think I’m going to go for a 21lpm now after all the advice. The biggest mixed opinions I have had is the FSC lol If I don’t buy one now (use the money saved off the FSC to pay for the bigger and better machine it will still keep down my budget slightly) then if I don’t have one yet I won’t know the difference cos I haven’t used one before. I can buy one next year when I have more work and see then if it’s worth it or not lol

@Daniel1989 is there a hire shop near you where you could hire a pressure washer to do the jobs for your family and your driveway, and see how you got on? I know you need to pay to hire it but you'd get a good feel for the job for a fraction of the cost of actually buying it all. Only a thought and might be an idea.
Good idea tbh, there is a place not far away, not sure he does them but I’d imagine he will. I have been thinking the same on and off but In my head I think once I have spent a decent chunk of my money on stuff it keeps me more motivated to make my money back 😂 but I’m still unsure on a machine and I’m now looking to get a tow bar on my car and use my trailer as just using the car is turning out to be too complicated with everyone advising on a bigger machine. So in the meantime it probs makes sense to hire one even if it’s only for 1 job just to get me started. Think I’m leaning towards the Honda 21lpm from Rutland pumps tho. Seen so many people mention them on threads and had advice on this thread also.

@Daniel1989 Give the hire shop a ring or if they have a website have a check on which ones they do. The one near me has pressure washers out the front on the forecourt sometimes so it must be a popular item to hire.

Will make a few enquiries Monday and look around at a few other places. 👍🏻
Just be mindful that hire pressure washers generally come with the worst lances ever and have a fixed fan output thats really any good for washing down JCB's and building sites so you'll not get the beat results you'd expect with a owned machine with QR nozzles or turbo nozzles

Just be mindful that hire pressure washers generally come with the worst lances ever and have a fixed fan output thats really any good for washing down JCB's and building sites so you'll not get the beat results you'd expect with a owned machine with QR nozzles or turbo nozzles
Maybe not a good idea then lol. Think I’m pretty set on the Rutland Honda 21l. You think it’s a good choice to go for? Also looked at the fixed 40m reel on it. Think that would be a good add on to have on it?

Maybe not a good idea then lol. Think I’m pretty set on the Rutland Honda 21l. You think it’s a good choice to go for? Also looked at the fixed 40m reel on it. Think that would be a good add on to have on it?
Yes the best choice ever. I have two. You can't beat the stainless steel trolley. They last longer than a dual pumps powder coated frame that will eventually blow and rust

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240815_220014_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240815_220014_Instagram.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest Posts

Back