Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting to get a ‘window cleaners shoulder’

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Best thing for any kind of aches and pains is swimming believe it or not dude. I had a major back injury 2 years ago & spent a lot of money going to a chiropractor every fortnight, which did sort the problem but its a bloody expensive way of doing it. Luckily its not as bad as it used to be but have some days better than others. Swimming works every muscle in the body and is great for bad backs, shoulders, legs etc. Better to take paracetamol than ibuprofen these days I’ve heard,as the latter kills your sperm count in a big way. Also, take it easy on yourself a bit, dont over do it and dont price jobs based on being a 21 year old johnny bravo [emoji6]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Boo hoo my heart bleeds. Haha. It’s called manual labour. Surely some people didn’t think this through. Some people don’t know they’ve been born with all the tech out these days. Does anyone remember the old blue fibre glass poles from around 15/20 years ago? Try using a 40 foot one of them 8 hours a day.

Boo how my heart bleeds. Haha. It’s called manual labour. Surely some people didn’t think this through. Some people don’t know they’ve been born with all the tech out these days. Does anyone remember the old blue fibre glass poles from around 15/20 years ago? Try using a 40 foot one of them 8 hours a day.

I used an orange fibre glass one when I first started. I've still got it in the garage as a reminder how hard it use to be 

Putting all the d**k measuring B.S. aside you need to solve the issue now.  If you leave it alone you will pay the price in every way later on. 

I had (have) chronic RSI in my left elbow which would cause shooting pains that would cause my hand to spasm open and drop whatever I was holding. It would also make the top of my body contort through the pain pretty much guaranteing I would drop whatever I'm holding. 

I was using a mix of SLX and WG Viper poles. 

I took the plunge and bought the Extreme 25 almost crying as I handed Gardiners my beer tokens.  

From day 1 (Oct 2017) till today I have not had one instant where the elbow has flared up. 

I have no scientific evidence but I put it down to the facts that the Extreme 25 weighs as much as an 18ft SLX.  It is considerably more rigid which I believe is a massive help. Lastly have also fitter the swivel head which so reckon helps massively. 

I think we have reached a world in WFP now of levels.

CLX - beginners / budget starter pole

SLX - Intermediate daily use pole. 

Extreme - professional pole for everyday extensive use and comfort. 

I will never buy a lower grade pole than am EXTREME again as the benefits massively outweigh the cost. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Putting all the d**k measuring B.S. aside you need to solve the issue now.  If you leave it alone you will pay the price in every way later on. 

I had (have) chronic RSI in my left elbow which would cause shooting psi s that would cause my hand to spasm open and drop whatever I was holding. It would also make the top of my body contort through the pain pretty much guaranteeing I would drop whatever I'm holding. 

I was using a mix of SLX and WG Viper poles. 

I took the plunge and bought the Extreme 25 almost crying as I handed Gardiners my beer tokens.  

From day 1 (Oct 2017) till today I have not had one instant where the elbow has flared up. 

I have no scientific evidence but I put it down to the facts that the Extreme 25 weighs as much as an 18ft SLX.  It is considerably more rigid which I believe is a massive help. Lastly have also fitter the swivel head which so reckon helps massively. 

I think we have reached a world in WFP now of levels.

CLX - beginners / budget starter pole

SLX - Intermediate daily use pole. 

Extreme - professional pole for everyday extensive use and comfort. 

I will never buy a lower grade pole than am EXTREME again as the benefits massively outweigh the cost. 
Thanks. Yep you’re right. I worked till about 2 tiday till the rain came in. Shoulder felt ok, but waiting till it’s gets ‘bad’ may actually be too late I guess. I’m going to get that extreme pole next month.

Think I’ve decided I’m gonna get the 22Ex for reg use. Think I’ll keep my 25SLX for con roofs and for a few jobs I need it for as someone suggested. 

Thanks again. R

ive just took the plunge and ordered my first xtreme22 as im working a bit longer in the days at the moment(finish at 2 instead of 1pm lol)

and the slx and supreme combo i can feel it affecting my dicky shoulder and seem to pull my neck all the time, ive been told theyre much stronger these v3 poles so hoping it lasts me a year or so and i'll be happy but i'd rather throw money away then wear my body out.

ive just took the plunge and ordered my first xtreme22 as im working a bit longer in the days at the moment(finish at 2 instead of 1pm lol)

and the slx and supreme combo i can feel it affecting my dicky shoulder and seem to pull my neck all the time, ive been told theyre much stronger these v3 poles so hoping it lasts me a year or so and i'll be happy but i'd rather throw money away then wear my body out.
Good on ya! When you say ‘last me a year or so’ are they known not to last very long??

my SlX is 18/20months old, haven’t had to replace a thing, and I wouldn’t be surprised if I was still using it in another 2yrs time (if I wasn’t getting a extreme) I was hoping/expecting this extreme pole to last 2yrs at the very least (as I only work 3/4 days a week and take pretty good care of the pole)

p.s great username. 3 big points tonight!! ??

Good decision, Why the 22 and not the 25 any reason? thanks m

hi guys, when i say a year its just i like to renew my poles every year or so just to keep them fresh, always done it with my slx22's, you get loads of money back selling them on so the new pole and brush only costs me £100 for another 12 months, ive heard the xtreme can be delicate as theyre 0.9mm thick compared to 1.1 slx so just hope it lasts then i'll renew in 12 months lol

i always go for the 22 as i dont like the slightly longer lengths of the 25 especially when closed, i have an slx39 for anything i cant reach with a 22.

cant wait to get it now!!

It's been nearly a full day and he hasn't posted his thoughts.  I wonder if he is still out there cleaning?
Haha. Well, believe it or not, I didn’t actually use it today. I was cleaning a static home park which I use the Clx 10 all for. Van having service tomorrow so might use it Saturday if it’s too cold down here. 

I did go out In the garden last night and wave the pole around In the air just to feel what it’s like. Very light!!

funny enough my shoulder has been ok

last few days but still think the extreme is a good idea.

I’ve been using my xtreme 22 just over a week now and had a busy week, it’s friday today and that usually means I’m banging the xtreme brush on my slx22 due to aching shoulders and neck but today I feel good, the arms still feel fresh today!

cant fault it, other than longevity we will see but if I get a year or so out of it I’m happy, funnily enough I’m getting through work abit quicker still feeling energetic too.

anyone thinking about getting an xtreme I’d say get one, I was umming and ahhring for months but wish I’d done it sooner, won’t be going back to slx in a hurry?

I wonder if you are all using them for first cleans.  At the moment I have not got enough work to justify one as all first cleans, but it will not take very long before I can justify it.  The way I look at it, it has only got to make it so you do all your work, instead of having half a day off once a month due to fighting pain, and it has more than paid for itself.

Do not under estimate the effect of pain on the mind.  Anything that keeps pain away also keeps the mind in good order too.

Interesting observation @mufcglen. I've done the opposite this week, I've been using the top 5 sections of an Xtreme 47 for a year+, but it's on the long side when doing low windows so I got an slx18 (couldn't defend the 3x price for a few hundred  grams I thought) Since the slx has a swivel and ultimate brush I've been using it for some first floors but man, my body is aching after a few hours of that.

I feel it comes down to stiffness as much as weight, and will switch the slx18 for an Xtreme 22 down the road, and only use the slx for lower windows.

ive finished at just gone 12 today for the weekend with a good days earnings,  i like to have a light friday winding down for the weekend but thought i'd drag a few more jobs in today and rattled them off,its the little things like almost fully extended over an extension and not so much weight, i say its just like using an extreme brush on an slx pole but youve got the scrubbing power of a supreme!

still feeling great and its been my second best record week and pole was paid for in 3 days!

180k bench's wimps hey! That's crazy! .Are you sure its not the 200kg bench that has screwed up your shoulders?

Seriously though mate I lumped an slx 27 around for 12 months and didn't think anything of it until I put the pain I was experiencing in my neck together with the weight of the pole. I took two sections off and started using it as an slx 18 for the 90% of my work, couple that with a lighter brush (gardener's ultimate 180g) and it was the best thing I did in  a long time.

The difference was night and day, when I put the sections back on to make a 27 you can really tell the difference.

I am not superhuman like Mr dean but I am no slouch, been going the gym for years and I am not small or weak.But it has been so much easier and I have gotten quicker with my work  as when agitating with the 18 its so light and quick.

Also rinse on the glass when you are doing the upper windows as most of the stress comes from holding the brush away from the glass when rinsing.

If it really bothers you go with an extreme brush, they are mega light and recommended for people with issues.

I would recommend weight lifting to anyone as its good for the body when done right. But if you have caused some damage to your shoulder then you may be better off waiting until its fixed as you may just make things worse.

Do some research and try to pinpoint where the pain is coming from, then you can work out exactly how to resolve the situation because as Mr dean rightly says you cant put a price on your health.
Very Well written , totally agree on your points mate ! 

180k bench's wimps hey! That's crazy! .Are you sure its not the 200kg bench that has screwed up your shoulders?

Seriously though mate I lumped an slx 27 around for 12 months and didn't think anything of it until I put the pain I was experiencing in my neck together with the weight of the pole. I took two sections off and started using it as an slx 18 for the 90% of my work, couple that with a lighter brush (gardener's ultimate 180g) and it was the best thing I did in  a long time.

The difference was night and day, when I put the sections back on to make a 27 you can really tell the difference.

I am not superhuman like Mr dean but I am no slouch, been going the gym for years and I am not small or weak.But it has been so much easier and I have gotten quicker with my work  as when agitating with the 18 its so light and quick.

Also rinse on the glass when you are doing the upper windows as most of the stress comes from holding the brush away from the glass when rinsing.

If it really bothers you go with an extreme brush, they are mega light and recommended for people with issues.

I would recommend weight lifting to anyone as its good for the body when done right. But if you have caused some damage to your shoulder then you may be better off waiting until its fixed as you may just make things worse.

Do some research and try to pinpoint where the pain is coming from, then you can work out exactly how to resolve the situation because as Mr dean rightly says you cant put a price on your health.
When i rinse high windows i put the end of the pole on my thigh so that my leg takes the weight and i just sway left and right slowly to rinse....this beats holding all the weight away from the glass with your shoulders amd works very well (apart from the occasional wet croch)

Latest Posts

Back