Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Stiff fingers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Beeejayteee

So after 43 years of traditional window cleaning 18 months ago I changed to wfp. I use it everyday all day but recently I've noticed in the morning I'm waking up with my little and ring finger, on both hands, are very stiff and showing signs of trigger finger ( locking). Is this a symptom of wfp?

@Beeejayteee absolutely agree with @ched999uk make sure you aren't gripping your wfp to tightly. Do you mind me asking what pole and brush you use? I find it I'm using heavier brushes alot (like first cleans) or brushes that take a bit of pressure to splay out on the windows I get aches and pains. I also found the univalve played my hand up a bit (because you keep having to grip the pole hose) so I just have a little tap on the pole hose instead.

@Beeejayteee absolutely agree with @ched999uk make sure you aren't gripping your wfp to tightly. Do you mind me asking what pole and brush you use? I find it I'm using heavier brushes alot (like first cleans) or brushes that take a bit of pressure to splay out on the windows I get aches and pains. I also found the univalve played my hand up a bit (because you keep having to grip the pole hose) so I just have a little tap on the pole hose instead.
Hi, I use a Gardiner SL-X25 and a super-light 26cm

I've had a similar issue with little finger on left hand but I always tend to have the bottom of the pole in my left, I try to switch but feels unnatural in my right.

Hi, I use a Gardiner SL-X25 and a super-light 26cm
Ok buddy. I use an SLX 18 and have a couple of extensions if absolutely necessary, but having an 18 foot pole has made a big difference to me (used to use a 27 foot). I like the super lite brushes but personally found them a bit heavy, so I usually use either an ultimate brush (either the medium soft or the blue nylon one), or an Xtreme brush whenever possible. Lighter brushes and shorter pole definitely makes a difference in my opinion. I'm not saying it would cure it but the less strain you put on yourself the better. Hope you get it sorted out mate.

So after 43 years of traditional window cleaning 18 months ago I changed to wfp. I use it everyday all day but recently I've noticed in the morning I'm waking up with my little and ring finger, on both hands, are very stiff and showing signs of trigger finger ( locking). Is this a symptom of wfp?
Time for tea finger.... associated with traditional window cleaning and your squeeze grip over the years. Too late now but holding your wfp should be a light grip but you may experience more pain and discomfort trying to adjust to a new way of work

Try regular hand exercises to flex each of your fingers but like ive already said, it many be too late

Unless you work requires a 25ft as a daily pole for almost every job every day of the week, I'd drop down to a 18ft pole,

My daily is a 22ft which can be a bit big for a lot of jobs but me been short I need a 22ft over an 18ft and my second pole is 27ft,

You ideally need to have two poles in the van as if one breaks it's a quick swap this also enables you to reduce the strain a bigger pole can put on your joints

I hope with the advice the lads have gave you, your issue clears up or eases, as we get older we all suffer issues 😩

Wrap some tennis grip tape around the bottom section. Try consistently using two different angles on the gooseneck, normal 45degrees for higher windows, 10-30degrees for ground level windows standing right in front of the window.

Last edited:
Ok buddy. I use an SLX 18 and have a couple of extensions if absolutely necessary, but having an 18 foot pole has made a big difference to me (used to use a 27 foot). I like the super lite brushes but personally found them a bit heavy, so I usually use either an ultimate brush (either the medium soft or the blue nylon one), or an Xtreme brush whenever possible. Lighter brushes and shorter pole definitely makes a difference in my opinion. I'm not saying it would cure it but the less strain you put on yourself the better. Hope you get it sorted out mate.
Cheers mate

Wrap some tennis grip tape around the bottom section. Try consistently using two different angles on the gooseneck, normal 45degrees for higher windows, 10-30degrees for ground level windows standing right in front of the window.
Thanks for the advice

Latest Posts

Back