Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Still having pressure problems

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi Ian,

Thank you for the rapid response & jumping aboard on here ?

I have read through your very detailed explanation above,

For reply on 1. I will check the univalve, I also have another pole with a uni...I’ll try that too, failing that I will go through all connections & make sure they are secure.

Regarding 2. I now understand that CHG flashing is not a problem & infact informs me that I have 2 great condition batteries.

Regarding 3. I’ll clarify.. when I reach the first job... the controller is flashing CHG, when I power it up it pulses, so I switch off & on again... it pulses again, finally it will usually start pumping on the third attempt.

But often..not always when I shut the water off with the univalve, on activating the water again nothing comes out the brush head, sometimes it will start flowing after 20/30 seconds, other times it won’t, when it won’t I return to the van to find the controller flashing 30/PS, this is followed by 2/3 on/offs to get it pumping again, I’m sure if I let the water flow all day without touching the univalve.. all would be well!

Ok thank you for the clarification, the pump pulsing is likely to be the controller testing to see if the pump still needs to be in dead end. When flow is stopped and the controller drops the pump into DE the controller then retest the DE state every three seconds. It likely its this pulsing your seeing to start with. It may be that the valve is not fully opening initially, Turning the controller off shuts off to and load on the pump and pressure falls meaning with the controller taking the pump back out of DE.

I'll join that club ?, welcome @Ian Sheppardhave you and @spruceconversed lately 
Hi Tuffers the good news is you should be fine with the V11C on the Citroen, most of the tech info comes from my boss and some of it goes over my head too?

I'll join that club ?, welcome @Ian Sheppardhave you and @spruceconversed lately 

Does this problem happen all of the time? I wonder if you disconnected the univalve your problem would stop? I'm starting to think it's the univalve.

@Ian Sheppard, thanks for your reply but I haven't got a scooby what it all means ?
The pump never starts first time, always needs few on/offs, I will certainly try without the univalve & see if it cures this problem, can also try my other pole with a much newer univalve in it

Are you letting your tank run down with water? Then when you drive around it sloshes about and traps air in the pipes to the pump. If it does you need to fit a tap just after your tank outlet then when your water is getting low switch the tap off and it will stop this between jobs

Are you letting your tank run down with water? Then when you drive around it sloshes about and traps air in the pipes to the pump. If it does you need to fit a tap just after your tank outlet then when your water is getting low switch the tap off and it will stop this between jobs
Matty.. No I never let the water run out before re filling, I also have a one way valve just after tank outlet

I think one of the issues with euro 6 is that different manufacturers have gone about meeting those standards in different ways. So whilst all diesels have dpf filters, some use regenerative braking to reduce emissions whilst others have gone the adblue route. 

Interestingly, psa seem to have focused more on adblue where ford, using the same engine have gone the regen braking route.  renault has also gone with regenerative braking. It's the regenerative braking route that seems to mess with charging a leisure battery - hence the need for  battery to battery chargers.

Psa have also included stop start as another emissions reducing aid on some of their vans. There was the provision to turn it off by the driver but there are moves afoot to block that facility as everyone was turning it off.

Whilst this option will reduce emissions whilst stationery at traffic lights, it doesn't help us recharging a leisure battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tuffers The V11C does work differently to some VSR  as it has a delay that prevents an immediate charger drop out as the alternator output drops during driving And where this alternator voltage drop does happen the charger does kick back in again as the alternator charge voltage then recovered

In terms of the V11C we did some testing late last summer using a

A V11 Charger on a Peugeot Euro 6 Van
Model: Peugeot Expert
Engine: 1.6 TDI with air con
Alternator: https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/alternator/valeo-440676_g4_a021440676.html

Information led us to believe that on Euro6 vans the voltage drops in normal driving to below 12.5V, this was not the case. The lowest voltage seen is this van was 12.9V ( this was being measured at the leisure battery)

What we did see was that the alternator dropped out (voltage and charge current dropped to zero) under heavier acceleration. Hence to save fuel when accelerating the alternator was being turned off. In effect the Euro6 operation (on this van at least) is the opposite from what we had been told. The voltage does not spike on braking but drops on acceleration with the V11C pausing charging. Then as the heavier acceleration eases and settles to normal driving speeds the alternator comes back in and the V11 continues to charge the leisure battery.

We found

1. Before Running Van
Van Battery: 12.91V
Leisure Battery: 12.31V

2. Engine Running (Stationary)
Initial values:
Van Battery: 13.31V
Leisure Battery: 13.20V
Charge current: +11A dropping to 8A after 2 minutes.

3. Engine Stopped
Van Battery: 12.76V
Leisure Battery: 12.70V

4. Driving
Van Battery: 13.3-13.4V
Lowest voltage seen: 12.9V
Open load voltage: 14.10V
Leisure Battery: 13.3-13.4V
Charge current: 7.5-8A
I found these test figures very interesting @Ian Sheppard. Thanks. Your leisure battery was quite discharged at 12.3v and for it to only accept an initial charge of 11amps dripping to 8 amps is what I find with our system. 

After 40 minutes back and forward to work and 20 minutes between houses the leisure battery will only get around 8 amps back in a day. If we use 30 amps with 2 pumps then it won't take long before that leisure battery is drained. It amazes me how some say they have never needed to bench or auxiliary charge their leisure batteries.

It's also interesting to see that the van you tested only cuts the alternator when the engine is under load. That's a new one.

Hi Spruce. The figures applied to the Pegeout, I would agree different manufacturers will take different routes to comply with Euro6 my Seat uses Adblue + start/stop.

What we found interesting was that Rgen braking on the test vehicle at least did not cause a big spike, Volts and amps stayed as were. The Alternator switching off under heavy acceleration was also different to what we had anticipated. The Van was a hire vehicle as such probably does lots of short journeys most of the time and helps explain the low Vehicle battery state with engine off.

The delay pause built into the V11C proved very useful as the relay remained closed when the alternator briefly dropped out, with charging resuming as it came back in confirming for us that it would work with Euro6. Some of the intelligent VSR may also have a similar feature as manufacturers are going to have to adapt to Euro6 and beyond. With some vehicles the answer may be Battery to Battery  and I would always suggest with a new vehicle check that adding an auxiliary split relay does not effect the warranty. Plus while split relay charging is very useful the Leisure battery will still benefit from a mains bench charge from time to time

I have to add AdBlue to my van. The engine doesn't stop when I'm at traffic lights, the green light flashes, but my engine hasn't switched off at traffic lights for ages now.

I have to add AdBlue to my van. The engine doesn't stop when I'm at traffic lights, the green light flashes, but my engine hasn't switched off at traffic lights for ages now.

Sorry, could you repeat that please 

Back