Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do your controllers build up pressure?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi, I have this problem where my controller is building pressure up over time while dead ended. If I turn off my water (via Univalve) my pump dead ends as it should. Every few seconds it runs very briefly and checks if the current draw is still high, indicating that the water is shut off- this is all fine.. However if I leave it for a decent period of time for instance during a long drive or my lunch break, all those little test runs add up and the pressure builds to the point of causing some small leaks to spring, my connectors get harder to connect etc.
Not a massive issue I could use my inbuilt pressure switch to limit it or turn it off.
Is this the same for everyone or do some controllers not do this?

I had a v11 and you could hear it pulsing every few seconds. I had to replace it and bought a v16, I don't think I have heard it pulse at all since fitting it. That said I have not had the same problem you have.
One think I did notice recently that my flow was fluctuating a bit - a recal cured that - might be the water being colder and the viscosity being a bit higher.

Might be worth asking @Ian Sheppard if it's a Spring controller.

Didn't have this with an older controller and pump on my previous 5 year old system, these days if I remember before I have a break I'll turn my controller off and open up my TuffTap to depressurise my system then close the tap then put my pole in the van, I do this at the end of every workday as well.

One of the reasons why we switched over to the wfp link / fob from Spring Europe, once switched off, all water is discharged from the system, no build up, no leaks, our connections seem to last longer as well, Claber!

Hi, I have this problem where my controller is building pressure up over time while dead ended. If I turn off my water (via Univalve) my pump dead ends as it should. Every few seconds it runs very briefly and checks if the current draw is still high, indicating that the water is shut off- this is all fine.. However if I leave it for a decent period of time for instance during a long drive or my lunch break, all those little test runs add up and the pressure builds to the point of causing some small leaks to spring, my connectors get harder to connect etc.
Not a massive issue I could use my inbuilt pressure switch to limit it or turn it off.
Is this the same for everyone or do some controllers not do this?
Morning.

The V11 and V16 carry out a DE test every 3 seconds or so while the Pole valve is closed. By doing this the controller can restart the pump within a maximum of 3 seconds of the Pole valve opening. The DE test lasts for 100th of a second in that fraction of a second the controllers pulses the pump. With the V11 you may hear the pump pulse. The length of the pulse is not enough to power the motor.

The V16 has a completely different pump drive stage to the V11. This means you are very unlikely to hear the pump pulse

Reading the initial post. Skzawng could you tell us what is the flow rate set too and what id the cal set to. Lastly what size ID hose is used on the reel and pole hose?
As above the Controller will pulse the pump fir 100th of a second approx every 3 seconds ( 2 second on the V16) while in DE as such you may hear the pump pulse. That is normal.

The reason for about flow and cal. If these are both set high the pump and hose will create pressure ( The controller sends current to the pump based on the flow rate set) It is the pump and hose that creates pressure. The harder the pump works the higher pressure will be. In this instance as the Univalve closes there is already a lot of pressure in the system. If Cal and Flow is set high it may take the controller a second to DE the pump ( The higher the cal value is the slower the controller is to DE the pump)

As the valve is closed the system is already pressurised. The DE retest wont change that pressure that already exists. I am guessing that when the Univalve is opened again there is a strong Spurt of water for a second or two then Flow settles. If that is the case that high pressure was already there at the point the Pump is dead ended. It is likely that thar existing pressure is causing the leaking rather the the DE retest.

Another factor here is the hoses. Hoses cause a restriction and limit the amount of water that can be carried. As an estimate the maximum amount of water a hose can carry to the brush is around 2.5 to 3 litre per minute. ( Less if pencil jets are used on the brush ) With the V11 the pump will genertae that flow volume at a setting of around 70 give or take.

Using a high flow setting is not going to see more water reach the brush becuase the hose limits the amount of water. Setting Flow and cal to high can lead to high pressure in the system. Redicing the flow setting woudl nean the pump/hose generate less pressure But stil give good flow.

This is a bit of a guess But my suggestion would be to connect everything and if you can safely stand the pole up Set your flow rate then run auto cal. Using auto cal will give a more accurate cal value.

Dave and Sam Pedan did a video looking at Flow and pressure. Please see

Although the V16 is shown the principles apply to the V11 as well. The ideal is to have the best possible flow rate at the brush at the lowest pressure possible.

As always my thanks to Dave and Sam for the video

Cheers

Latest Posts

Back