Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Taking Holiday leave.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I wasn’t aware a lot of fellas pay it monthly, i pay mine in one hit
emoji848.png
and have been under the impression thats the way it is

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
You should be paying twice yearly 

Been on this forum for years and on this day, on this subject I’ve never read so much cobblers.

All this ‘catching up’ and ‘five year diary’ ?

We get round every 6-7 weeks. So 6-7 weeks before I’m going away, I just tell the customers I’m going on holiday and will be late round next time.

We never try to ‘catch up’, just pick up where you left off.

As Darren commented, it’s lost earnings but that’s the price you pay for being self employed.

Remember, a lot of the time we pay a lot less tax than PAYE, so look at that as your holiday money.

I been abroad twice this year without a single complaint from a customer.

All this ‘got to be on time, or on a certain day’ just puts unnecessary pressure on yourself. Relax, take holidays, the customers won’t die because of dirty windows ?
A 5 year diary is easy for someone with 30 customers haha.

Realistically even if you have set days for people they will understand. I have quite a few who like set days but they're all aware if I fall behind I will be late. Taking the kids to Disneyland next year, as soon as we set a date i'll just move them all around and tell them nearer the time. Just because you have set days for people doesn't mean you can't take a holiday, either set all your work back by a week or move it into the weeks around it if you have the space.

Darren you should have been a mathematician with all those figures. I'm just playing at window cleaning because I do 4hrs two days a month. If I was younger I could do one 8hr day a month and still make £130 for that day. What I am trying to get into is PW & Softwashing but I think you all know that. Last week I had a £420 job which took me all day and a few hours the next day to sand it. £30 petrol as revs were too high and £20 sand so I made £370. I am away to see a big job tonight, I would be very happy to get one of these jobs a week now that my van is kitted out. I think its only seasonal but time will tell.
Serious question dude, how do you pay your bills (If you don't mind me asking). These pressure washing jobs are all good but for months you told us about the PW and how you only do 2 days a month.

A 5 year diary is easy for someone with 30 customers haha.

Realistically even if you have set days for people they will understand. I have quite a few who like set days but they're all aware if I fall behind I will be late. Taking the kids to Disneyland next year, as soon as we set a date i'll just move them all around and tell them nearer the time. Just because you have set days for people doesn't mean you can't take a holiday, either set all your work back by a week or move it into the weeks around it if you have the space.

Serious question dude, how do you pay your bills (If you don't mind me asking). These pressure washing jobs are all good but for months you told us about the PW and how you only do 2 days a month.

I'm a retired fireman with a gold standard pension. A joiner, gas fitter, 17th edition electrical cert, wrote a few books. Single with no kids so I don't need much money to survive. My hobby is reading so I have hundreds of books. Can pick and choose my jobs. Would like to buy another property and try that Airbnb thing, I heard its a money spinner.

I'm a retired fireman with a gold standard pension. A joiner, gas fitter, 17th edition electrical cert, wrote a few books. Single with no kids so I don't need much money to survive. My hobby is reading so I have hundreds of books. Can pick and choose my jobs. Would like to buy another property and try that Airbnb thing, I heard its a money spinner.
Cool man, thank you for satisfying my curiosity. I have heard some horror stories about people declaring squatters rights on those air B&B things....

Cool man, thank you for satisfying my curiosity. I have heard some horror stories about people declaring squatters rights on those air B&B things....

There is a strange phenomena regarding Airbnb up here. Flats in places where you would not want to live can be great for Airbnb. My sister's boyfriend has a flat in an undesirable part of Glasgow but its fully rented on Airbnb. No one can understand why but its only a 15min walk to city centre. Tourists, see it on the web and jump at it. I don't think a foreign tourist would declare squatters rights? Another great place is Fort Willian and we all wondered why? Then it donned on us, if the mountain wont come to the tourist then the tourist must go to it. I am beginning to understand that it all comes down to one thing, points of interest.

There is a strange phenomena regarding Airbnb up here. Flats in places where you would not want to live can be great for Airbnb. My sister's boyfriend has a flat in an undesirable part of Glasgow but its fully rented on Airbnb. No one can understand why but its only a 15min walk to city centre. Tourists, see it on the web and jump at it. I don't think a foreign tourist would declare squatters rights? Another great place is Fort Willian and we all wondered why? Then it donned on us, if the mountain wont come to the tourist then the tourist must go to it. I am beginning to understand that it all comes down to one thing, points of interest.
Aye, if there's something worth seeing nearby then people will use it. You should have a look just outside Gretna, really cheap houses there and loads of people need places to stay for weddings!! ?

Aye, if there's something worth seeing nearby then people will use it. You should have a look just outside Gretna, really cheap houses there and loads of people need places to stay for weddings!! ?

I stay two miles from the airport and houses around it are cheap but I am thinking next to a train station where you can go to Glasgow every 30mins. It means the tourists could jump on a train to Glasgow or Edinburgh and get back again the same day. You need to buy a place where you live so you can look after it without travel. You also need a cleaning company to look after it when the guests leave which we all have on here. Just need to get money for one and if it works out you buy another, the cycle is just beginning but the main thing is you are buying an asset which can be sold if it doesn't work out.

Back