Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Temperature for Heater in Van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It’s that time of year lads! ?
Nah just want to see what temperature everyone else that uses heaters (to stop the van freezing) set it too. In the past I’ve put it up full whack but would rather not this year if I don’t have too ? Though in the past I once set it too low and came out to frozen pipes! So really not sure where to go with it. I’ve setup a smart plug that records all the power the heater uses so I can put that through the business, so just need to figure out how high to set it. (I have an oil filled so it turns on and off as needed).

I have a smart type plug that has a thermometer on it so I can use an oil rad and the smart plug to control. I'm not fitting it yet as have to solve condensation first!

I've added a Honeywell temperature controller to my very old 800 watt wall mounted heater which is now mounted on a frame.

This kicks on at around 2 to 3 degrees C and switches off at around 4 to 6 degrees C. I also have a temperature controller on my Diesel heater which I've set to activate at 3 degrees C. It switches the diesel heater off when the internal water circuit temperature reaches about 70 degrees C. It kicked on once last night. When I opened the van up at 8 am this morning, the internal water circuit was 10 degrees C with the outside temperature at -1 degree C. It was down to 8 degrees C an hour and a half later.

I have just put a smart plug with thermometer and an oil filled rad in the back of the van. The oil rad is only on 1kw and plug set to activate it at less than 1.9 Deg C and off at 2 Deg C. Current out door temp is -1 Deg C and inside van is 1.8 Deg C 15 mins after the rad was put in the back of the van.

I have just been out tonight and bought foil type insulation for the roof and sides of the van, fingers crossed that will help with condensation and use less electricity to keep the frost away.

As a tech dinosaur, can you explain how the smart plug works for you. Thanks
Basically it's 'Smart' because it can connect to your wifi and you can control it via a phone, alexa, or google voice commands.

I have a SonOff TH10 with a temperature sensor but they don't make them anymore plus they are not very user friendly and the cable connections are not good as no cable clamps so it has to be in an enclosure. I have only fitted it this evening, it's set so if the interior of the van temp drops below 2 degrees C the oil rad is switched on. Once the interior temp rises above 2 Deg C the rad is switched off again.

A much simpler solution is something like this Smart Plug with temperature sensor from Amazon. Basically plug it in, download the app, create an account, connect device to your home wifi. Next plug in your heater to it and use the app to set time and temps.

A non smart version would be something like : Temperature Controlled Socket

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It’s that time of year lads! ?
Nah just want to see what temperature everyone else that uses heaters (to stop the van freezing) set it too. In the past I’ve put it up full whack but would rather not this year if I don’t have too ? Though in the past I once set it too low and came out to frozen pipes! So really not sure where to go with it. I’ve setup a smart plug that records all the power the heater uses so I can put that through the business, so just need to figure out how high to set it. (I have an oil filled so it turns on and off as needed).
Interesting question. I found and fixed my leak so was able to put my oil rad in the back of the van last night to test. I ended up not using the smart plug with temp sensor as it kept losing the wifi connection. So I had the rad on 1Kw and on number 1. That was not enough, it's only a small van (Berlingo) but the part above the tank (400lts upright, almost against bulkhead) still had frozen condensation on this morning! The back section between tank and doors was dry and no condensation.
I have now fitted the foil type bubble wrap to the roof and most of the side panels - hopefully finish tomorrow. Now the van is empty the smart sw seems to be holding wifi connection so that's set to switch the oil rad off if the temp gets above 2.5 deg C. Hopefully that will be enough to stop things freezing and not use too much electricity.
How are you getting on with your rad?

I ran my oil filled radiator two nights ago on the 800w setting, set on number 3 on a timer from 1 to 6.30, last night I didn't bother with the heater and covered my reel with foil insulation and duvets, wasn't frozen when I checked my van at around 4pm today.

So tonight I'm going to put the rad in the van on 3 with a timer to come on at 4am and go off at 6.30, with duvets etc on top too. See how I get on...

I ran my oil filled radiator two nights ago on the 800w setting, set on number 3 on a timer from 1 to 6.30, last night I didn't bother with the heater and covered my reel with foil insulation and duvets, wasn't frozen when I checked my van at around 4pm today.

So tonight I'm going to put the rad in the van on 3 with a timer to come on at 4am and go off at 6.30, with duvets etc on top too. See how I get on...
Trouble is though mate, it can be much colder through the night before we get to 4am so better to run for maybe 2 intervals through the night, I got back home today just before 3pm took the dogs out and when I got back to sort the van out the side door was already difficult to open I guess it depends on just how cold it's going to get overnight where you are.

Trouble is though mate, it can be much colder through the night before we get to 4am so better to run for maybe 2 intervals through the night, I got back home today just before 3pm took the dogs out and when I got back to sort the van out the side door was already difficult to open I guess it depends on just how cold it's going to get overnight where you are.
Yeah I think you're right, I'm currently playing trial and error as I say, the first night I ran it from 1am to 6.30 and had no issues the following morning, but to go from that to 2 hours starting at 4am might be cutting myself a bit short. I think I'll stick the heater in from 9 to when I go to bed to warm it up and then have it come on again at 4 till 6 and see how I get on

Latest Posts

Back