Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Time to spend on a set up

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Doddy111

Alright, fellas, I'm going to be purchasing all of my gear next week and want to make sure I've got everything I need and I'm not wasting money on anything I won't need. I've tried to list absolutely everything I could possibly need for window cleaning, FSG + Conny cleaning, and gutter clearing. I've gone into way too much detail but in doing so I'm hoping that any newbies like myself can look at this list, see what they need and price it all up.

WFP

Pole- debating the SLX 27 (£349.20) or CLX 27 (£259.20) Is it worth spending on the extras when buying from Gardiners or stick with the freebies you get with the poles?

Van System- Ionic 400litre Pure20 Di

Hose + reel- 100m 6mm microbore by Circuit Hydraulics (£145 with delivery) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HI-VIS-READY-TO-USE-6mm-Microbore-Reel-Trolley-With-100mtr-hose/153185624770 (recommended by someone on here)

Resin 25L- £80-90 a bag WCW

Brushes- Ultimate brush medium/soft mixed (free with poles) 

Gutter Clearing 

Ladders- suggestions welcome (minimum height I'd need)

Stand off- £30 wicks 

Ladder limb- £16

Harris pole 3m- £16.68 fleabay

Pro gutter attachment set of 4- £43.14 WCW

May invest in a maxblast and GCS carbon poles after having a good read up on them. 

FSG + Conny Cleaning

Gardiners backpack- £107.94 

or

Trolley- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Softwash-Trolley-System-Shurflo-6-8LPM-Fully-Chemical-Resistant-Check-The-Spec/113221815095 (£370) bit excessive but my thinking is if I ever have a problem with my van or my system I could use this as a backup for windows. 

Gardiners stiff brush head for agitating- £40

For any newbies on a budget I believe you can buy a cheap generic pole with a brush on (£20) and a pump sprayer (£12) does the same job. 

Bits + bobs

Ubik 2000- £5.25 (5L)

Bronze wool grade 0000- £12.68  

Glass Cloths X 20- £20 fleabay 

X-hose water jet- £18

Magic Sponge X20- £2

Bucket- £1-3

Again, I know it may seem stupid listing stuff like magic sponges and bronze wool but as a newbie like myself these are things you wouldn't think about looking into. Hopefully, this post will help out other newcomers. 

No doubt that I've missed something that's absolutely crucial and obvious, I'm sure you lads will point it out to me. 

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Decent set of wets 

Neck warmer

Beanie hat

Baseball hat

Decent non flip footwear 

Decent working sunglasses(the reflection off the sun can be blinding) 

Clear glasses, drops and water blinding you etc(if desirable) 

Silicone spray 

Spare clips & connections 

Filters 

Heavy dirt refuses sacs

Spray bottles 

I wouldn’t go with a 27 foot pole as an everyday pole fella. CLX 18 should do. Get a tap on the pole to save water. Water and time are the two most precious thing. 

If he’s got funding for a 27 then he’s got funding for an 18? He never mentioned 3 storeys. 

Agreed Dave. No point buying a pole now to buy another in 6 months if you can afford the good one in the first place!
Don’t think it’s a question of a good pole more the length. A 27 pole is not an everyday pole. 

If he’s got call for it as a newbie fair play. What percentage of the time do you have your pole fully extended then Dave? Not even 50% I bet. 

If you're buying that kit second hand you want to order some replacement filters straight away too. I'm a bit baffled by that picture though, it appears if has an RO system but there is no membrane housing?
I’ve spoke to the fella and he’s told me they are pre filters but it has no R/O on it. He said I can add a R/O with a 40/40 membrane quite easily if I wanted to

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

If he’s got call for it as a newbie fair play. What percentage of the time do you have your pole fully extended then Dave? Not even 50% I bet. 
Probs not but it saves buying two poles for the same job plus saves time keep swapping over just for the odd window. Tbh with how good and light today’s poles are and unless your either ready for retirement or physically impaired then there’s not much difference. A lot of my work is very compact and once im parked it may not move for hours and the last thing I need is traipsing back to the van to swap poles just for the odd window. Better just to use one pole that can reach the lot. Most lads I know use 25s as there everyday poles.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

My thinking on the pole situation is I didn’t want to buy a shorter pole and then have to go out and spend on another longer pole.

Also, there’s a couple of new housing estates that have been built by me that have the windows in the roof and are quite high so thought I could begin canvassing them. Traddys wouldn’t be able to get to the top windows so I was going to use that as a bit of a selling point

I’ve spoke to the fella and he’s told me they are pre filters but it has no R/O on it. He said I can add a R/O with a 40/40 membrane quite easily if I wanted to

The pre filters are useless without the membrane. How much is he about to mug you for mate ??

I use a 27, it’s fully extended to reach stupid velux windows at least once a day. I believe the 18 is a third lighter too, so when you get your 27 out to reach high windows you ain’t used to the weight which poses a risk. I had my little bro working with me on a large cladding clean job recently, he commented on how much control I had over the pole in comparison to him. In the end I needed to do the tallest parts as he didn’t have the control I did from using it daily. He’s a plumber by trade so not a weak lad and he’s bigger than me but he still can’t control it the way I do!

My thinking on the pole situation is I didn’t want to buy a shorter pole and then have to go out and spend on another longer pole.

Also, there’s a couple of new housing estates that have been built by me that have the windows in the roof and are quite high so thought I could begin canvassing them. Traddys wouldn’t be able to get to the top windows so I was going to use that as a bit of a selling point

Tbh mate you won’t get 3 storey veluxs with a 27 as they are usually quite far up the roof. 3 storey dormas yes but not the veluxs. I usually have to get my 40 out for those.

Tbh mate you won’t get 3 storey veluxs with a 27 as they are usually quite far up the roof. 3 storey dormas yes but not the veluxs. I usually have to get my 40 out for those.

I’m on about 3 storey houses and ones with Velux on the roof, not 3 storey houses with velux on the roof. I did one yesterday with velux in the roof at the back, dorma windows at the front. At the back I can reach the velux but I can’t see it so I get the step ladder out.

Shortest pole for the job for me. My clx 10 for bungalows, my 18extreme for a good 50% of my work. 25ft for the other. It’ll annoy me using a 25ft pole for little bungalows. 

Back