Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Top tips for beginners gutter clearing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

eddyl3000

Hi all, I've just purchased a might atom gutter vac and just about to start offering gutter clearing alongside my window cleaning round

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for beginners starting out doing gutter clearing, like things to watch out for or tips for safety etc?

Thanks all ?

Hi all, I've just purchased a might atom gutter vac and just about to start offering gutter clearing alongside my window cleaning round

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for beginners starting out doing gutter clearing, like things to watch out for or tips for safety etc?

Thanks all ?
If there are big clumps in then attack these from the edge, don't try and lift them out from the middle

I bought a gutter vac around 4 years ago and must have only used it a handful of times. I find it easier and quicker to do them off ladders unless it’s too high or awkward for ladders to reach or on mostly commercial property’s you have very long lengths to clear. Plus you still have to check the downspouts are completely clear which can only be done properly by gettin up there as the cameras can’t see past the bends as I find it’s pointless clearing the gutter and leaving the downspout blocked. That said most of my gutter clears of which I only do around 2/3 per week are mostly small domestic property’s. Hope that helps?

Might be a simple question but where do you empty the gutter vac after use?
I usually ask the customer if it’s ok to use their garden waste bin and most of time they usually say just dump it under any shrubs or flower beds as it just rots down to fertilise them anyway.

I bought a gutter vac around 4 years ago and must have only used it a handful of times. I find it easier and quicker to do them off ladders unless it’s too high or awkward for ladders to reach or on mostly commercial property’s you have very long lengths to clear. Plus you still have to check the downspouts are completely clear which can only be done properly by gettin up there as the cameras can’t see past the bends as I find it’s pointless clearing the gutter and leaving the downspout blocked. That said most of my gutter clears of which I only do around 2/3 per week are mostly small domestic property’s. Hope that helps?

I do around 70 every year before winter and do them all from the ladder. The time you get the thing out and set it all up you'd have had it done using a ladder. I have a long pole and attach a gutter scrapper to it. Alot of the time your only up the ladder once at each side

I do around 70 every year before winter and do them all from the ladder. The time you get the thing out and set it all up you'd have had it done using a ladder. I have a long pole and attach a gutter scrapper to it. Alot of the time your only up the ladder once at each side
Ye, same. I find that it takes longer with the vac on the smaller stuff. By the time I’ve set the vac up done the job and had to clean the bl00dy thing I could’ve done 2/3 by just using the ladder alone.

It's weird but iv found the vac incredibly fast compared to by hand. But saying that most of what iv been cleaning out have been silt and waterlogged which I find slow by hand.
@Mattlekim me too. Sometimes I do them by hand, but often I end up filthy dirty and dirty slop all over the bucket. Much prefer the vacuum whenever possible.

Becareful sucking around joints as you can suck out seals... I lower the power of my vac around joints..

Be careful around end caps. Some are ready to drop off..... Then you need ladders to put them back on.

If you're struggling to remove a big clump of grass give it a good soaking with water via WFP, comes out easier when wet from sides.

Put water down the down pipe to make sure its not blocked,

If its blocked - tap the pipe to see if its holding water at the bottom, if it heavy not hollow the blockage will be down at the bottom, if its hollow the blockage will be higher up.

If blockage is at the top I fill up gutter with water via wfp and block the bottom of the downpipe with a rag as it improves suction from the top. Then suck out the water from the downpipe... Eventually it will loosen up and will free the blockage. Chances are someone put a big screw at the the top the pipe and debris has built up around that screw over time creating the blockage.

I still have the Vac in my van after Sunday's job so I fitted another one in this afternoon. Sooner I get a bigger van, I will keep it in the van all the time. This is the route I intend to go down, smaller tank (500l) one reel and all my hobby stuff in the van so all I need to do is turn up. ?

Don't rate the vacs too much myself, there's a reason there are so many spare parts for sale on eBay and like others have said, it's quicker to just do it by hand with a ladder most of the time.

I usually take a bucket, soil scoop (I know some people who cut caulking tubes at an angle and use that, progutter scraper (I have different gutter shapes) and a hand held brush with a sturdy handle to clear up left over bits of debris.

Sometimes for awkward ones my ladder won't reach I put a progutter angle adapter onto a pole and use that with the appropriate progutter scraper.

Don't rate the vacs too much myself, there's a reason there are so many spare parts for sale on eBay and like others have said, it's quicker to just do it by hand with a ladder most of the time.

I usually take a bucket, soil scoop (I know some people who cut caulking tubes at an angle and use that, progutter scraper (I have different gutter shapes) and a hand held brush with a sturdy handle to clear up left over bits of debris.

Sometimes for awkward ones my ladder won't reach I put a progutter angle adapter onto a pole and use that with the appropriate progutter scraper.
With the right kit a vac is much quicker, easier , and far less messy ,and of course far safer .

Latest Posts

Back