Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Two Customers Ruin My Day

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yeah... just edited the post because I don't think its fair showing his number and area but mate come on!! £11 for a 4 bed!! I ain't interested in competing with him on price but I feel like it devalues what we do!

Yes, his flyer is an eye catcher. We had a Chinese carry out do the same thing. We ordered a carry out and it was ****, you only get what you are willing to pay for. Would you trust someone cleaning your 4 bed for £11? I certainly wouldn't

You have to go for £30 an hour. So £20 seemed right for 3 bed semi. If someone is charging £11 then he will not be doing it right. He will just be cleaning the glass, no detailing and certainly no pvc cleaning. I don't think he will be there long or the customer will pull him up and you know what he will say:- "what do you expect for £11"
Yeah but if we're looking at £15-20 for a 3 bed semi where does the £1 per window come from? I have a 4 bed semi and we have 7 windows and 2 doors. My last windy before I started up charged me £20 and £25 with the huge conservatory at the back.

Yes, his flyer is an eye catcher. We had a Chinese carry out do the same thing. We ordered a carry out and it was ****, you only get what you are willing to pay for. Would you trust someone cleaning your 4 bed for £11? I certainly wouldn't
Nah mate. I know what he's up to, he's trying to box off 2 massive new build areas in his town, not go far and have a lot of customers. I try and provide a professional service, good clean quality and good customer service. £30 an hour is doable (£20/£25 including travel time round here) and i'd rather be there than chasing 4 times the amount of people for payment to earn the same. Work smarter not harder eh!

Depending where you are those prices might not be too bad.

Looks about right for my area that. Much more and you start to struggle a bit.
See, honestly at these prices I wouldn't have got into window cleaning. They're charging more than this in my home town (St. Helens).... The only one that would be similar is the 2 bed price, mainly because they're all terraced houses in St Helens so two at the front two at the back... Gloucestershire is a lot more affluent than St. Helens though with much nicer houses and quirky little cottages in nice little villages. The ones he is hitting are new builds so more than 2 at the front and 2 at the rear!!

Depending where you are those prices might not be too bad.

Looks about right for my area that. Much more and you start to struggle a bit.
I'm not too far from you in Rotherham but those prices don't seem particularly low to me either. I don't have a one price fits all policy usually but I do a new estate that I charge 4 bed detached £9-£10 and 3 bedroom detached £8. I earn a steady £45 an hour on that estate without rushing too much- I clean the frames, sills and doors with that. 

Maybe they're smaller houses around here.

Guy where I live charges 6 quid for 3 bed on ladders

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

My mum and dad's window cleaner used to charge them £2.50 for 3bed trad using ladders. He'd been cleaning them for the past 30 years and they still sacked him off and asked me to do em instead.. :1f644: I'd have rather paid him the 2.50 myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check this out, another local windy. He’s gone from one extreme to the other. Double charging for the first clean. It appears to be the same guy, 4 years apart and he’s moved onto WFP. He’s highly rated by his customers, clearly good at what he does. Makes me feel a bit better about my prices!

871D0778-E437-4F2C-B40A-66F8AC07F07A.jpeg

D5FAA819-FCD3-48CB-A74D-CFBC17E45D41.jpeg

Some people can't deal with confrontation.

It could also be that even although there were still a good couple of cleans in the area, dropping the dross meant the remaining few just weren't worth the effort or cost to clean. Yes, I believe you should communicate your issues to these customers whether they are good or the dross, but that's me. I've seen numerous examples of cleaners who promised to turn up even when phoned but never did.
I have dropped a few good clients over the last year just because I am gaining more compact and better priced jobs, I contacted them all and explained and they were fine and understood as my numbers had dropped in areas with people selling their houses etc. 

I think there comes a limit. If you rock around in too flashy of a van then they will think they're lining your pockets, if its too old they may worry you are as reliable as your van haha. I had a chap proudly tell me that the local window cleaner was full and he must be doing well because he bought a brand new transporter.... (They were telling me that £15 a month was too expensive for a 4 bed house and indicating he was cheaper than me)  :1f644:

My first thought was, well thats on a lease haha.... He went on to tell me how they have a friend in Essex who charges £1 a window. I was relatively glad when he never got back to me to book in.
Might have being a bit flash  :1f602:

20170206_091541.jpg

3-4 bed houses can vary quite a bit depending on house builder I do a L shaped 3 bed house that is twice the size of some small 4 beds which have less windows than 1970-80's 3 bed semi. 

Price is about location and in a lot of cases once you get up north from South Yorkshire and up into Scotland their is no way in my view that you are going to get more than £10-11 for a average 4 bed detached house and i am talking average with no conny or extension. 

This I know because I have being in this game 18 years and my prices are maxed out in my area for now, alongside what @adamangler & @Skxawng and other lads in recent months across various posts this is all fact based imho not pie in the sky.

@P4dstar obviously in your neck of the woods prices are higher which I totally get, But what you are averaging per hour with travelling us lads are making up north anyway, In your situation as you are trying to build a comapct round fast nowt wrong with pricing a £1 cheaper for example than you might then increasing prices 6-12 months down the line. 

I have increased almost all my jobs by in recent weeks by a  average of £1 some saw a £2-3 increase and have stuck with me whether they have being with me 6 months or years. and my prices over most my competitors  both wfper's and tradders is 30-50% higher that i know off talking to other lads and clients 

I have said before I can get my 4 bed semi done well for £5. I'm very tempted to get him back as the Wife doesn't like WFP  :1f602:
My wife cleans our windows more than I do as she gets sick of asking me  :1f602:

Not another price debate. Getting boring these now[emoji42]
I’ve learnt a lot through getting into these on here recently. Way too many variables and that’s why there’s no correct answer and so many different price scales. Seems to be though that most have roughly the same or near enough the same hourly rate no matter what they are charging and that’s what really matters.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

My mum and dad's window cleaner used to charge them £2.50 for 3bed trad using ladders. He'd been cleaning them for the past 30 years and they still sacked him off and asked me to do em instead.. :1f644: I'd have rather paid him the 2.50 myself.
Haha my son paid the window cleaner that as cleaned my mother in laws for 30 years not to do them the other week as he’s makes a right mess as either me or him clean them when visiting, she won’t get rid of him out of loyalty.

@P4dstar obviously in your neck of the woods prices are higher which I totally get, But what you are averaging per hour with travelling us lads are making up north anyway, In your situation as you are trying to build a comapct round fast nowt wrong with pricing a £1 cheaper for example than you might then increasing prices 6-12 months down the line. 
Yeah I guess once you factor in travelling between the villages etc, there aren't many places around here that are built up enough to have a compact round... I'll be a little more price conscious when I head into the new estates in Gloucester I think.

I really can't get my head around the £1 a window thing though.... I have been working on a time factor. For the first clean I charge a little more and am happy to work for £20 an hour but on existing customers I want to be at £30 which is giving me about £25 with travel time.

Might have being a bit flash  :1f602:
View attachment 13457
What made you change to a van? I’ve been toying with the idea of a double cab pickup for a while now. I need lots of seats as I sometimes do the school run (2 kids plus one on the way)plus I like the massive payload. I currently drive a lwb transit connect double cab and can’t decide between a pickup and a lwb transporter double cab. I’ll also be wanting to upgrade my 350litre one man wfp setup to a 650 two man. Would this be do-able in a pickup even with a snug top, also can you fit three child seats across the back seats in a pickup? I’m looking to save cash by doubling my work van as the team bus on the weekends as my misses has a tiny a-class and we’ve been looking at upgrading her to a disco 4 or a q7 but they are quite expensive to run just for the sake of a family runabout.

What made you change to a van? I’ve been toying with the idea of a double cab pickup for a while now. I need lots of seats as I sometimes do the school run (2 kids plus one on the way)plus I like the massive payload. I currently drive a lwb transit connect double cab and can’t decide between a pickup and a lwb transporter double cab. I’ll also be wanting to upgrade my 350litre one man wfp setup to a 650 two man. Would this be do-able in a pickup even with a snug top, also can you fit three child seats across the back seats in a pickup? I’m looking to save cash by doubling my work van as the team bus on the weekends as my misses has a tiny a-class and we’ve been looking at upgrading her to a disco 4 or a q7 but they are quite expensive to run just for the sake of a family runabout.
No kids and for 17 years my wife and I just used the one vehicle as a dual purpose motor.

She is looking to change jobs so she got a little car and I switched on to a van as no point in having a 17ft truck with 5 seats just for me.

Yes it will be big enough for 3 kids in the back. Plus a 650ltr system in the Load bed if you get a custom built system with 2 reels easily doable.

County Durham Lad

Back