Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Two degrees today coldest people have gone out?!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Steve don't worry that's fairly common so I believe...but probably best to get a nurse to check that out for you ? 

2 degrees this morning, probably the coldest start for me as a starter! 

what’s the coldest people have gone out window cleaning?! Also as a trad man cold or hot water in the bucket? 

thanks 
coldest ill work in is  -2 in the day,this is fine with a hot wfp set up.....when i was trad it was the same,i just used to put screenwash in my bucket and used warm(not hot) water.....

any lower then its a day off for me

coldest ill work in is  -2 in the day,this is fine with a hot wfp set up.....when i was trad it was the same,i just used to put screenwash in my bucket and used warm(not hot) water.....

any lower then its a day off for me
It’s also fine with a cold set up. 
Hot won’t freeze any slower than cold 

I think pure water freezes faster than normal water. When there 2-3 C outside, the water in the tank becomes all thick and semi ice. But we also have a water tank for power washing that water is not bother before -1C

It’s also fine with a cold set up. 
Hot won’t freeze any slower than cold 
i used to have problems with frozen jets at the brush end(and in the microbore!)when using cold water sometimes working in -2,id have to keep a separate flask of hot water to thaw them out.....also water used to freeze on unheated connys and porches at times,not a problem with hot!in fact hot water thaws them out nicely...?

hot freezes faster than cold ??
thats rubbish...its a myth in the real world.......i thaw out frozen window panes on connys in very cold weather

Novemeber and December are always mild, it may go minus overnight but once its sunrise the day starts to warm up, u do get a few weeks maybe in January/February where its -2/-3 but as soon as it hits March We have Spring to look forward to ? nearly half way there till Winters over ? ? haha

i know the science behind it mate your not talking to a newbie here......but in the real world it doesnt happen when cleaning windows......ive been WFP for nearly 10 years now and used both hot and cold water in freezing conditions,hot pure water DOES NOT freeze quicker than cold when cleaning windows,in fact it thaws out icy windows/sills a treat.....

A couple of years ago, it was a typical freezing night with and couldn’t start till 11ish due to temperature. I was sat in the van around the corner of the first house.

The van was saying 4 degrees (but I knew that was because I was directly in the sun) my phone then said 1 degrees so I thought “great I can start“, the back & 1 side were in the sun, but when I did the other side which had 3 skylights on the roof they instantly froze over while I was scrubbing. Odd. I went back later that day to do the shady side. 

Been out a few times when everything was all ice free but as soon as the hose went on the ground it froze up instantly. 

Defrosted it in the van footwell and fine after for a couple of jobs then froze again.

Never gone home though.. always managed to defrost it.

My best tip is don't use rectus fitrings in winter use jg pushfits as it always freezes in the metal fittings as they seem to be colder.

Not had a day off due to frost since changing to wfp for 5 years.

Hey RW I see your on the south coast too... wonder if that was the same year/day(?) as my story...I was doing my last job of the day - lovely large country house - it was cold but hadn't noticed anything freezing all day - it was the last job on the last day before I stopped over the Xmas break...as the sun dropped so did the temp..but I was literally just finishing. So I cracked on...came to the double set of 8 panel of bifolds running along the entire rear width of the house, providing the owners with a lovely view their lovely large scenic rear garden/grounds with water features etc....up/down,up/down...rinse...next panel...next...next...next...next...next...next.....got to the end of the first set of epic bifolds looked back on the work I've just done (as you do) and to my horror noticed the first panel was freezing over...then as I watched the 2 then 3,4,5,6,7,8- one half of the entire detached property's garden facing downstairs 'picture windows' were now completely opaque...I stopped... tried pouring more water on in case it would 'thaw' it ..nope that froze too...(owners never at home they travel lot) I legged it...hoping it would thaw out overnight or worst case in the morning...Weather forecast when I got home that evening...'we're having a cold snap - temp will stay below freezing for next 4-5 day's. Oops?

Never had the guts to ask if they returned home to find a lovely complimentary festive frosting for them to enjoy over the festive period...eek

I went out today with 3 t shirts on and a longsleeve jumper, scarf, hat and a new pair of showa 282,s. Never felt the cold and I had plenty of room to move about. The answer is many thin layers to keep the heat in. ?

I went out today with 3 t shirts on and a longsleeve jumper, scarf, hat and a new pair of showa 282,s. Never felt the cold and I had plenty of room to move about. The answer is many thin layers to keep the heat in. ?
Must be colder up your way then.

Was polo shirt, trousers and a beanie for me today.

About 2° all day.

Was raining too much to keep my fleece on as it was getting heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you not afford a coat ? I prefer two long sleeve lightweight tops and decent work jacket

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you not afford a coat ? I prefer two long sleeve lightweight tops and decent work jacket
I can't wear a waterproof coat.

I get way to hot and sticky even in winter.

I'm always hot.. missus says I'm like central heating in bed lol.

Would rather strip down to tshirt and get wet then dry off in the van.

Maybe I just work too quick and build up heat ?

Scottish totally agree multiple thin layers is the way to go...as many of them as possible from materials which are breathable (this makes a massive difference - insulated to prevent you losing core body heat but at the same time allowing all the 'moisture', aka  sweat to wick thru each layer and escape - preventing overheating or that awful feeling of being clamy - DaveB ? )

If temp warms up you can strip off the layers as required - preventing that horrid overheating feeling...With a waterproof jacket which has 'air' vents (often under the armpit, so stay dry) which you can simply unzip to keep everything aired...appliance of science 

Back