Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Two idiots / Roof cleaning today

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I do roof cleaning with PW but its not easy because of all the clearing up. Not done any biocide yet but may have a job in March. I will be pricing it high and hoping I don't get the job because the results takes a few weeks and the moss is still on the roof. I think it will be too much hassle for the money but I may find out I'm wrong after I have finished it. It will all come down to experience.

£150 is way too cheap, you'll need full ppe as well masks etc so you aren't inhaling the biocide it ain't for the faint hearted which is why I have avoided spraying chems and taking on add ons like other lads on here who know exactly what they are doing. 
Maybe for hypo but not for proper biocide. I’ve done it a couple of times. I’ve got a full waterproof overall set, gloves and eye goggles. They only take 5 mins to put on and take off. Kingfisher biocide is relatively safe anyway, just put in a backpack and apply to the roof using a pole and an old brush. I could be missing something here though.

Maybe for hypo but not for proper biocide. I’ve done it a couple of times. I’ve got a full waterproof overall set, gloves and eye goggles. They only take 5 mins to put on and take off. Kingfisher biocide is relatively safe anyway, just put in a backpack and apply to the roof using a pole and an old brush. I could be missing something here though.
Chemicals are chemicals mate I don't like breathing anything in, they say weedkiller is safe to use on your lawn around people and pets really if it's strong enough to kill plant life it's strong enough to do us some damage, when I sprayed my allotment off I had a full on respirator mask, 

I have some biocide that I bought from @kevinc250 when he placed a larger order from Benz Softwash I've still not got around to using it as I was bit fearful of spraying surfaces our dog would be walking on. 

Chemicals are chemicals mate I don't like breathing anything in, they say weedkiller is safe to use on your lawn around people and pets really if it's strong enough to kill plant life it's strong enough to do us some damage, when I sprayed my allotment off I had a full on respirator mask, 

I have some biocide that I bought from @kevinc250 when he placed a larger order from Benz Softwash I've still not got around to using it as I was bit fearful of spraying surfaces our dog would be walking on. 
I'll be fully PPE'd up... Should have seen me today spraying the van, looked like something out of contagion haha. Spraying on a roof is a little different though, its so far away you only have to watch for spray droplets, you aren't gonna get enough in your eye to cause trouble. Spraying a patio etc is a different game altogether though.

I'll be fully PPE'd up... Should have seen me today spraying the van, looked like something out of contagion haha. Spraying on a roof is a little different though, its so far away you only have to watch for spray droplets, you aren't gonna get enough in your eye to cause trouble. Spraying a patio etc is a different game altogether though.
Agreed.

If you’re doing it from the ground and the roof is 20 feet+ above you, I just wear a full visor. As the spray/scent will rise upwards. So up into the air & away. (And some decent proper gloves as well)

If I was standing on top of a roof/patio etc and spraying directly next to me or beneath me then I would wear Respiratory mask etc yes. 

Second job I did, it was a gusty day. Calm with the odd gust of wind. Wish I didn’t do it that day. Nothing bad happened, but was very nervous would might of happened. Live & learn & Noted for next time. 

A customer asked me recently if I do roof cleaning. He had been quoted £7k!!!! The guy came down to £2k for just spraying it with Biocide. It's a difficult roof to access but not to spray with a pole. I told him we'll spray it for £150 plus the cost of the biocide (I imagine 3x 5 litre tubs so £80). From my experience I can't see it will take us longer than an hour with 2 of us spraying. The only caveat is I need him to have the roof scraped first. I know a lot of local companies do roof scraping at a reasonable price but then tell the customer that biocide is a waste of money. My reasoning is that just spraying with biocide will lead to big clumps of moss dropping into his gutters and exasperating the problem he already has further.
Just spraying a heavily mossed roof will have little effect.

Back