Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Update how I’m getting on

WCF

Help Support WCF:

With all this talk of gyms and endorphins you have all got me thinking..... OK so for someone who has never been to a gym how do you start? I assume some sort of induction and training on how to use equipment but then how do you know what to do and how to do it properly? 

Cheers
Any gym will give you an induction and if you tell them what your aim is they will tell you what is best to do and how much etc.

Once you get into it you'll find your own way.

For example most people isolate different muscle groups on different days but as I don't have as much time nowadays I do a full body workout each time which goes against what most people do/think.

get down to your ideal weight is the best.you can do a BMI check to find what that weight is .Alot of folk kid themselves they are muscley perfect , when reality is theyre 5 stone overweight 

Hubby had a health scare a couple of years ago and when he found out what his BMI  is he set out to get down to it,almost acheived it [1 stone above] to be fair he nearly did himself in on his diet was a bear to live with .He would cook a big evening meal having eaten like a sparrow all day then id quickly tip most in the bin + carpet fluff on top so he couldnt  retreive and eat it .Went on a year that did 
I disagree as the whole bmi thing was invented by the US army to assess the state of rescued pow's after the Vietnam war.

It is pretty much an arbitrary number made up at the time.

My son is 6'7" about 19 stone and no fat on him and is a beast on the rugby pitch.

Spends his life in the gym and is not fat at all yet the doctors would class him as obese due to his weight..I am the same but not as tall and a slight (maybe not so slight lol) beer belly nowadays but I would be called obese at 6'2" and 16 stone but am fit as a fiddle and have no health issues due to weight at all apart from a knee issue which you always get if you're big and play rugby most of your life.

According to bmi i should be 12.5 stone ??

Bmi is a guideline but doesn't work in all cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all this talk of gyms and endorphins you have all got me thinking..... OK so for someone who has never been to a gym how do you start? I assume some sort of induction and training on how to use equipment but then how do you know what to do and how to do it properly? 

Cheers
Take a look at 5x5 stronglifts

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Good for beginners and concentrates on core strength rather than specific muscles. 

I disagree as the whole bmi thing was invented by the US army to assess the state of rescued pow's after the Vietnam war.

It is pretty much an arbitrary number made up at the time.

My son is 6'7" about 19 stone and no fat on him and is a beast on the rugby pitch.

Spends his life in the gym and is not fat at all yet the doctors would class him as obese due to his weight..I am the same but not as tall and a slight (maybe not so slight lol) beer belly nowadays but I would be called obese at 6'2" and 16 stone but am fit as a fiddle and have no health issues due to weight at all apart from a knee issue which you always get if you're big and play rugby most of your life.

According to bmi i should be 12.5 stone ??

Bmi is a guideline but doesn't work in all cases.
Totally agree Ime 6 foot 18 stone and my BMI says Ime morbidly obese ??? Ime in the Fireservice and can run rings round guys half my age , I have a fitness test every year and medical every 3 years and the doctors admit the BMI is a load of rubbish but is still accepted by most as an accurate , I was told due to my height I should be 11:5 stone I was more than that at 16 and didn’t have an ounce of fat on me then , I have always been heavy for my size I was once told Ime heavy boned and have very big bones but again some say that’s a load of rubbish to so don’t know what to believe . 

BMI is just a very very simplistic measurement that anyone can do with a pair of scales and a tape measure. It's not accurate but gives the vast majority of people an idea of if they are overweight or not. People with lots of muscles will not do well on the BMI scale. 

One big problem is people look around at other people to see if they are 'normal' size or not. These days when about 65% of UK adults are overweight, obese, or morbidly obese, in over 45's that's nearer 75% who are overweight, the vast majority of people you see are too heavy! So it has become 'normal' to be 'large'. 

I think most folk can figure out whether they're somewhere near the ideal weight from knowing their own bodies and checking in the mirror now and then. Some people are heavier boned than others of the same size. That's a certainty. Beware of experts, I say again. ?

I have always been heavy for my size I was once told Ime heavy boned and have very big bones but again some say that’s a load of rubbish to so don’t know what to believe . 
As I always say to my rather fat mate who says the same...have you ever seen a big or heavy boned skeleton? Not that I'm saying you're fat ? 

get down to your ideal weight is the best.you can do a BMI check to find what that weight is .Alot of folk kid themselves they are muscley perfect , when reality is theyre 5 stone overweight 

Hubby had a health scare a couple of years ago and when he found out what his BMI  is he set out to get down to it,almost acheived it [1 stone above] to be fair he nearly did himself in on his diet was a bear to live with .He would cook a big evening meal having eaten like a sparrow all day then id quickly tip most in the bin + carpet fluff on top so he couldnt  retreive and eat it .Went on a year that did 
sounds like fun.......i bet you made him cut the grass too after chucking his dinner in the bin!........

The window cleaning is toning muscles that building work didn't (do both still) , plus spending approx 10 hours a week canvassing so must do something.

Back