Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Update how I’m getting on

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Does it make that much of a difference though?  I've got an SLX22 and I remember looking at the weights of the Xtreme poles.  I'm not going to look at it now but I remember working out that by removing a section of the SLX22 it would be close to the weight of an extreme pole.  So as an experiment I removed a section for a day [effectively using it as an SLX18]  working houses that wouldn't need the extra length.  Although it was lighter, it was no where near a difference as I thought it would be, I'd say the difference was 'slight difference', it didn't feel like it would make a big difference.
Try ectreme 18, soo much better ?

I have both slx and ext, I see big difference when I need to use slx, ok if straight up easy windows, but anything more difficult its a day and night deifference.

Church is old you dont want to drench it with water it probably got dry rot in the walls and wont need wetting or it will mean whole church gets condemned. If its already been washed with pure water its going to be very easy to shine by hand, i,  bet they are worried about the walls getting drenched wood probably short of paint to protect it. 

show them how the water gets the glass clean right up to the lead, years of hand cleaning leaves a thick dirty mark next to the lead as the cloth misses this part, hand shine the window just before it drys, and you will win them over, i remember i used to look out the Church windows and i used to spot all the stains like i knew my own face,

Make no mistake they will be worried about dry rot and they wont tell you they got it , if the dry rot gets wet it grows like fungas a horrible orange stuff, 30% of London houses have dry rot in the walls, for sure they wont want it wet 
If you read it properly mate They asked me to trad inside the church.

i hope you find whats wrong mate...ive been wfp for 11 years(17 years trad before that) and have lots of awkward windows to clean most days and dont have any trouble at all and im 50 this year......i dont think the window cleaning has anything to do with your problem....
Yeah I'm inclined to think it's not muscular or the window cleaning that's causing it.  It doesn't usually hurt when I do the window cleaning so that also tells me it's not muscular.  My mother is a staff nurse and said that if it was muscular it would have healed itself over a 2 year period.  I think there is a tendency from the doctors, consultants and whoever else has seen me to blame the window cleaning.  

Don't wish to grumble too much but unfortunately I've got no option but to find the problem myself.  Each time I see the gp he just says 'well what do you want me to do?', each time I see a consultant they put me forward for these tests and then never get back to me with the results.  The service is really shocking.

So now I've ruled out kidney stones, gall stones, the prostate is fine, liver is fine.  Camera down the throat didn't show up anything.  Camera up backside showed inflammation but otherwise fine.

I'm at a bit of a loss what to have checked next but I'm not letting it drop.  The pain is getting worse, most of the time I'm not in pain but at night I get it when sleeping and it's started appearing during the day.

I'm a firm believer that any pain is not good and it's your body telling you something is wrong.  This pain is one of those that makes you think something is not good.

Got more blood tests in the morning, they've not even told me why or what they're testing for.  The communication is shocking.

Just going to keep on at them until I get a diagnosis.  

Yeah I'm inclined to think it's not muscular or the window cleaning that's causing it.  It doesn't usually hurt when I do the window cleaning so that also tells me it's not muscular.  My mother is a staff nurse and said that if it was muscular it would have healed itself over a 2 year period.  I think there is a tendency from the doctors, consultants and whoever else has seen me to blame the window cleaning.  

Don't wish to grumble too much but unfortunately I've got no option but to find the problem myself.  Each time I see the gp he just says 'well what do you want me to do?', each time I see a consultant they put me forward for these tests and then never get back to me with the results.  The service is really shocking.

So now I've ruled out kidney stones, gall stones, the prostate is fine, liver is fine.  Camera down the throat didn't show up anything.  Camera up backside showed inflammation but otherwise fine.

I'm at a bit of a loss what to have checked next but I'm not letting it drop.  The pain is getting worse, most of the time I'm not in pain but at night I get it when sleeping and it's started appearing during the day.

I'm a firm believer that any pain is not good and it's your body telling you something is wrong.  This pain is one of those that makes you think something is not good.

Got more blood tests in the morning, they've not even told me why or what they're testing for.  The communication is shocking.

your right side just under your rib cage is where your appendix is.......could it be that giving you grief?

your right side just under your rib cage is where your appendix is.......could it be that giving you grief?
Last year I had a physical examination by my gp.  He prodded areas around my belly button and sides and said tell me if you feel any pain.  I didn't feel any pain in the usual place.  He then squeezed my right side just above my hip, I immediately lept up and curled up in agony, the pain was excruciating and I'd not felt any pain like it.  I said to him not to do it again [took a couple of minutes for the pain to subside] and said whatever that is, surely that's the problem?  He said 'well that's your appendix, it won't be your appendix as if it was you would have known about it by now'.

To me the pain felt like there was a problem and that was it.  It was like he hit the sweet spot of the pain and seemed obvious that that was where the pain was originating from.  But they've ruled it out.

I heard that the appendix doesn't necessarily cause you problems quickly, you can have what they call a grumbling appendix which is harder to diagnose and can last for years.  It wouldn't surprise me if it's that.

I'm just going to keep on at them though, until somebody gives me a diagnosis it could be something serious or it could be something that's nothing to worry about, but until I get a diagnosis it's all guessing and guessing with your health is not good.  I know of people who have nearly died through dilly dallying via the health system, things that could have been nipped in the bud but not diagnosed until it became an emergency.  I'm determined not to be one of those people.

I get pain in the same place, and its always after ive strained with, for example, the pole out at full stretch or near enough, and at awkward angle or near horizontal ( typical window above large conny) Im sure its hernia type symptoms. This is with slx, and using an extreme may likely help a great deal. Im more careful now, not to strain that part of my body, but an extreme is for sure on my list now.

do any of you guys go to the gym and lift weights?its helped me a lot...ive been going regular for over 5 years now....ive built up a lot of muscle in my upper body(esp my shoulders,arms,back and chest)it really helps with wfpoling coupled with the lightest poles and brushes...

do any of you guys go to the gym and lift weights?its helped me a lot...ive been going regular for over 5 years now....ive built up a lot of muscle in my upper body(esp my shoulders,arms,back and chest)it really helps with wfpoling coupled with the lightest poles and brushes...
I used to go 3 times a week 30 odd years ago. I found I became addicted to it, it does make you fell good afterwards.

No never had the need to go to the gym not my kind of thing at all always done manual work I regularly come across the  arni lookalikes and it’s all show and no stamina Ime 58 and can out work many half my age when out on shouts beating gorse  that go to the gym for a couple of hours a day .

I used to go 3 times a week 30 odd years ago. I found I became addicted to it, it does make you fell good afterwards.
i go twice a week....

monday...legs and arms

thursday.....chest,back and shoulders

i dont need to go anymore than that(im nearly 50)..ive already built the muscle so im just maintaining it with maybe a slight improvement here and there.....

the release of endorphins during and after a session are priceless.....these are the gifts of exercise...always!it lifts me up......

i go twice a week....

monday...legs and arms

thursday.....chest,back and shoulders

i dont need to go anymore than that(im nearly 50)..ive already built the muscle so im just maintaining it with maybe a slight improvement here and there.....

the release of endorphins during and after a session are priceless.....these are the gifts of exercise...always!it lifts me up......
Aye, I loved it but I don't know why I chucked it, maybe got a job on the rigs. I did try to go back but ended up reading the papers in the David Lloyds. Then I tried jogging but didn't have the heart for it. Ended up taking up reading as a past-time and has stayed with me now. The funny thing is, I hated English at school and never had any time for it but loved Maths. Strange how our life's turn out and how we change and evolve.

I used to go regularly over twenty years ago on my way home from working hard on jackhammers, whacker plates and shovels. I was able to shift some decent enough weights and had good stamina for my small size and weight of 66kg. I never built bulk, funny enough. I think that may be genetic as I'm Irish by descent and I've seen lots of wiry Irishmen who could work above their weight category but you wouldn't necessarily pick them out of a crowd. I always had good stamina for everything except fast walking or walking a distance carrying weight, say a kayak. I'm still the same in that I can put in a good day's work or paddling but I get out of breath easily carrying a kayak up from a beach for instance.

I will say though don't underestimate the value of grit and determination. Or as my wife calls "b....y stubbornness!" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to go regularly over twenty years ago on my way home from working hard on jackhammers, whacker plates and shovels. I was able to shift some decent enough weights and had good stamina for my small size and weight of 66kg. I never built bulk, funny enough. I think that may be genetic as I'm Irish by descent and I've seen lots of wiry Irishmen who could work above their weight category but you wouldn't necessarily pick them out of a crowd. I always had good stamina for everything except fast walking or walking a distance carrying weight, say a kayak. I'm still the same in that I can put in a good day's work or paddling but I get out of breath easily carrying a kayak up from a beach for instance.

I will say though don't underestimate the value of grit and determination. Or as my wife calls "b.... y stubbornness.
I worked with a lot of Irish at Balfour Beatty Construction and they all took St Patricks day off to celebrate, I found it hard to believe. Aw well bed wins it, repairing a massive units roof which continually leaks. I call it the Fourth Road Roof, once you get to the end its time to start all over again. 

I will say though don't underestimate the value of grit and determination. Or as my wife calls "b....y stubbornness!" ?
Us with paddy blood can just crack on with things.. not snowflakes like others lol.

I'm only half paddy mind.

Us with paddy blood can just crack on with things.. not snowflakes like others lol.

I'm only half paddy mind.
Haha! I can't say on that. I've worked and kayaked with all sorts and several races that surprised me with what they were capable of. Male and in the case of kayaking female as well. ??

Haha! I can't say on that. I've worked and kayaked with all sorts and several races that surprised me with what they were capable of. Male and in the case of kayaking female as well. ??
I consider myself English anyway ?.. that's cos I'm lazy.

I've been to the gym years ago, built up my muscles over a 3 month period and the workouts were intense, used to come out the gym so knackered that a 5 year old could have beat me up.  I think once you have built up the muscle it is always there, just needs pumping up.

Since just after Christmas I do 150 press ups a night Monday to Friday, 3 sets of 50.  I've found I lost a stone in weight and I'm managing to keep it off, so I just continue with the press ups.

The problem with going to the gym, I'd go for about 3 months, then I'd skip a session, then two and then I can't be bothered.  The press ups whilst might not be as good as the gym, they're better than nothing and I find it easier to keep doing them.

I know what you mean about the endorphins though.  When I went to the gym I used to love walking there, then doing the workout, then the walk home I was so relaxed, like a chilled buzzing feeling all the stress burned off.

I been going the gym consistently the last 25 years. Always helped me to quickly adapt to labor intensive jobs. I dont train as heavy as I used but can still lift more than most people. I try not to pick any injuries as it can impact certain jobs.

With all this talk of gyms and endorphins you have all got me thinking..... OK so for someone who has never been to a gym how do you start? I assume some sort of induction and training on how to use equipment but then how do you know what to do and how to do it properly? 

Cheers

Back