Using the Ankalad stabilizer

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by slippy, Sep 9, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

#1 slippy, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    20150808_122242.jpg 20150808_121844.jpg 20150907_175051.jpg 20150709_172317.jpg 20150709_172317.jpg 20150709_172317.jpg Looking at photos, am I using the ladder correctly? Particularly the photo on the extension roof where I have to climb up onto it, I worry it will slide left or right?

Advertisement
  2. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

That's fine but i would tighten the strap when it's set like that as that stops the legs moving sideways
    The bar don't really do anything apart from let you know you have the right angle
    I never use the aluminum bar when i use one
    It won't move sideways as it makes a triangle and is wider than the ladder

3. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

#3 slippy, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    Should you always use the bar? When climbing off extension roof without bar was so worried it would slide left or right. If the top of ladder isn't touching anything will the support give way? How high can you climb, my ladder is 6.1 metres? Also, I seem to take awhile setting it all up, which holes are best to put the support bars on? And what jobs do people use the ankalad stabilizer? Is it bit overkill for just cleaning a window?

4. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Looks like the ladder is resting on the fascia in the last photo? If so it could damage the fascia.

5. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

It won't slip sideways with normal climbing on and off it
    It would be very hard to tip it sideways like having 1 foot and 1 hand on and hanging off the side
    Really hard to unbalance
    I used to use 1 on 12 rung triples at full stretch to do set back windows on a loft conversion on a 3 storey townhouse with no worry about slipping

6. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

So have the bottom part of the ladder come above the roof?

One other thing, with the metal bar or brace thing (on the bottom which stops the support legs things from spraying out or coming in), how far back should it go on the support part? Two thirds back from the bottom of the ladder? (the first picture top left)

7. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Like i said i never use the bar at the bottom
    Set the ladder at a proper angle
    Pull out stabiliser legs until they touch the floor as wide as possible with the strap clipped together
    Tighten strap
    A lot of the time you will find the strap is nearly full length but you know the stabiliser is deployed well
    If you then got the bar out tou will find it will fit on there somewhere
    It is only a guide for the angle of the bottom so would be the same angle wherever it clipped on
    I just don't use it as it doesn’t actually support anything and you can eyeball the angle

8. Simesy

Simesy Member

Do you use it on every property you clean or just the more awkward ones. And does it add much weight when carrying the ladder

9. Jake

Jake Grand Master

You don't need one for regular window cleaning mate, in fact you don't really need one at all, but if your health and saftey conscience then use it, but as boarcity says, it's not at all practical for window cleaning...

10. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

It depends
    I had it permanently attached to my big ladders and always used it on 3 storey work and gravel etc
    Used my other ladders for jobs that don't need it

Advertisement