Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van insurance quotes

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dhl ( who I’ve stopped driving for part time after 18 years ) they self insure their lorries. Not sure about the little vans on the parcels tho. 

Just found this by searching.

Section 143 of the Road Traffic Act specifies that a policy of motor insurance covering Third Party risks (personal injury of damage to property) must be in force. However, Section 143 does not apply to vehicles belonging to most Council authorities in England, Wales and Scotland, or to vehicles owned by police authorities. There are also one or two other categories of vehicles which are exempt.

However, in addition, insurance is not required for a vehicle owned by a person who has deposited and keeps deposited with the Accountant General of the Supreme Court the sum of �15,000. 

Also military vehicles have no insurance at all as the government investigate and pay out but are mot'd every 2 months.
The same is true of our Fireservice vehicles they also don’t have to be taxed or mot as it’s deemed they are very well maintained . 

The same is true of our Fireservice vehicles they also don’t have to be taxed or mot as it’s deemed they are very well maintained . 
The fire engines used to have a tax disc but it said nil on it. Someone in the station nicked one for their motor I guess, it was one of those station's, everything went missing. The local pub was having a Halloween party and a fireman's new uniform went missing, we all knew where it went to and it never returned, the barmaid did say it was the best night of her life. ? 

Been with admiral a couple of years now.

Only a bipper but declared it has a tank in it and I pay just under 300 quid with my wife as a named driver and full business use for her business also if she's driving it.

That is with over 20 years no claims though.
Also having it sign written saved me about 50 quid.

Their thinking is with signwriting means you won't drive like such a bellend it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also having it sign written saved me about 50 quid.

Their thinking is with signwriting means you won't drive like such a bellend it seems.
Also makes it a bit easier to find when its been stolen rather than just the description of "white van"?

Or do what royal mail does and have no insurance. 

They agree to pay all claims from their own kitty.

Helps that they're government owned lol.

Can you imagine worst case scenario. A car driven uninsured crashed into an area that causes multiple deaths and a fire that destroys a building causing 100's of deaths. The likes of BP insure their tankers and rigs, we, and every company, have to have liability insurance yet don't need car insurance!

Councils insure vehicles so would still like a link showing big business are exempt. Lloyd's Of London wouldn't exist if well financed companies didn't have to insure.
So I did some digging (IE, Googling) and found this about Royal Mail.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/freedom_of_information_regarding

Basically they do have insurance but it's a very large excess, so they will pay out for claims themselves and, if in the event the claim is more than the excess, they will then claim back the balance from the insurance company. 

Ain’t got time to read every post on the thread this morning so apologies if this has already been covered. @Cghwindowcleaning I rang Aviva directly, they halved what A-plan wanted. It won’t let you do a quote on the website once you declare the modification. A-plan wanted £720 I think, plus interest for the year. Aviva directly was £340 and only £20 interest to pay it monthly. I hear admiral are just as good too.

Ain’t got time to read every post on the thread this morning so apologies if this has already been covered. @Cghwindowcleaning I rang Aviva directly, they halved what A-plan wanted. It won’t let you do a quote on the website once you declare the modification. A-plan wanted £720 I think, plus interest for the year. Aviva directly was £340 and only £20 interest to pay it monthly. I hear admiral are just as good too.
I tried that a couple of years ago after seeing a couple of people had done this. After consulting with her manager the woman over the phone told me that aviva were unable to insure me because of the modification to the vehicle (the tank being installed). 

I tried that a couple of years ago after seeing a couple of people had done this. After consulting with her manager the woman over the phone told me that aviva were unable to insure me because of the modification to the vehicle (the tank being installed). 
Did mine in August. She went off to the underwriter and came back with a yes. It’s written clearly on the paperwork. The only caveat is mine is a Grippa system, fully crash tested etc. When I called she didn’t seem particularly keen on helping, tried to get me to do it online until I explained the online system had pointed me to call them. After that they were decent to be fair ??‍♂️

I was with Aviva last year with an 800l tank, Pure Freedom factory fitted. They've probably found an underwriter to do the business through now.

I too am with Aviva. I told them about the bolted in tank, no probs.

The one problem I did have with them is they didn’t update their system when I fitted my private plates. I’d told them about it and had done the applicable paperwork.

I got pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt, I was only moving around the corner, but my fault. Anyhow the rozzer did his checks and my van came back as no insurance ?.

He phoned Aviva and read out my private plate, they said definitely no insurance!

Luckily the rozzer checked against my vin number, and the penny dropped with the dullard on the phone.

Fair play to that rozzer, he had a right go at the dullard and told them that my van could of been towed away to Bromley nick!

was paying around £350 per year with a plan and just got a quote from them for a newer van i had just bought they quoted me nearly £900 using the same tank etc, i oviously questioned that price and they said my newer van had a bigger engine (150cc larger), was bigger than my vivaro-actually its 50mm smaller in height, then he said ah well its a newer van isn't it?, i said that your valueing my newer van at £2500 more than my vivaro-still a big price hike, they came back a day later with quotes of around £550, i eventually went with carole nash (for insurance?) they weren't the cheapest but came in at £248 with tank declared as i phoned them up to confirm this before paying the premium so its wise to shop around a bit, i know you have to balance service against budget but the price difference for me was the deciding factor
I lost faith in A Plan about 3 years ago I was driving around in a 65 plate L200 warrior worth about 30k and paying about £900 a year for insurance then I downgraded to a 64 plate combo worth about 5k and they wanted similar money the excuses were just ? so I jumped ship 

Back