Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van lining help

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I also find that the Protectakote I painted the van floor 12 years ago is better than the Protectakote I used on my current van. It appears the formula has changed. TBH I wish I had looked at other options 18 months ago.

I'm going to have to order another small pot to touch up and then look at some heavy duty matting with holes so any spills dry out.

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTERLOCKING-Rubber-Safety-Mat-Wet-Holes-Restaurant-Bar-Tack-Room-Garage/131161743539?_trkparms=aid%3D1110012%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOIPOST%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200420083544%26meid%3D575de410cf044f2e9f48ad4dddf1bad8%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D7%26sd%3D131216626679%26itm%3D131161743539%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DPromotedSellersOtherItemsV2WithMLRv3&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219
I often think manufacturers start out with a great product then over time they squeeze what they can out while still making profit. Essentially I'm turning into my granddad and saying "they don't make em like they used to" ?

I had my previous van floor done with speed liner at Grippa.

It's a great product and probably the best out there.Unless you have plenty off spare time then it isn't  just the cost of the product like protectarkote or similar it's the two days lost work prepping,painting and drying.

My van was back from grippa the following day floor done and system in.

You don't have to drive to cambridge there are speed liner and line x authorised applicators all over the country.

I believe when I had mine done Grippa just outsourced this but I belive they may do this in house now.
I thought it was you who posted about speed liner before but didn't want to tag you incase I was wrong.

I understand what people are saying on the time lost but we already have a van on the road and it can just be done over the weekend. If it was my only van I'd be thinking differently for sure. If the Raptor lining doesn't work then next time round I'll go for speedliner hands down.

I assume you’ll be getting another Grippa system? If so, find out if they pre drill before speedlineing. 

This is one of the reasons I got mine speedlined by Ionics. The fibreglass I did myself in the first van ended up useless as water got through any drill holes I had it put in. Ionics though predrill all the holes so the coating goes into them also. 
I've looked into this, spoken to a guy who had his done, he said they did it on separate days (much as @Cghwindowcleaning said) and the holes appear to have been cut after the floor was done. I did think of this but realistically you're gonna struggle to stop water getting through the holes, the only other option would be to seal underneath I reckon.

The other thing I'm factoring in is the value of the van. My current van is on lease and was brand new, this new van is 6 years old and has 45k on the clock. Paying 10% of the vans value to seal the floor is big bucks in the grand scheme of things. I do wish I'd gone for speed liner on the lease van in retrospect though.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I often think manufacturers start out with a great product then over time they squeeze what they can out while still making profit. Essentially I'm turning into my granddad and saying "they don't make em like they used to" ?

I thought it was you who posted about speed liner before but didn't want to tag you incase I was wrong.

I understand what people are saying on the time lost but we already have a van on the road and it can just be done over the weekend. If it was my only van I'd be thinking differently for sure. If the Raptor lining doesn't work then next time round I'll go for speedliner hands down.

I've looked into this, spoken to a guy who had his done, he said they did it on separate days (much as @Cghwindowcleaning said) and the holes appear to have been cut after the floor was done. I did think off this but realistically you're gonna struggle to stop water getting through the holes, the only other option would be to seal underneath I reckon.

The other thing I'm factoring in is the value of the van. My current van is on lease and was brand new, this new van is 6 years old and has 45k on the clock. Paying 10% of the vans value to seal the floor is big bucks in the grand scheme of things. I do wish I'd gone for speed liner on the lease van in retrospect though.
Would you lease again?  This is something I was looking at for later in the year. Seemed a decent package with vat tied into the repayments 

Would you lease again?  This is something I was looking at for later in the year. Seemed a decent package with vat tied into the repayments 
No, but only because of the uncertain times we live in and I can afford to buy a reliable van now. When I took the lease out I had an unreliable van, continuing gearbox problems and couldn't afford to be off the road. At the time the money I got for my van paid the deposit on the lease.

I leased in the past and it's wasted money imho why pay £1,000's for a van that you have to hand back at least if you buy a van whether it be brand new or 2nd hand after the few years on finance it's yours and you have the equity and the van at the end of a lease term you have nothing. 

I leased in the past and it's wasted money imho why pay £1,000's for a van that you have to hand back at least if you buy a van whether it be brand new or 2nd hand after the few years on finance it's yours and you have the equity and the van at the end of a lease term you have nothing. 
On the whole I agree. I do think there are circumstances where a lease is useful though.

Before my lease I had a ten year old Vivaro with 110k on it. It set me back £3k. Within 6 months it went through two gearboxes. I made the decision to take the risk of the lease against the risk of being off the road. If I were in the same position again I would do the same. The sale of the van covered the deposit etc but wouldn't have covered the cost of a reliable van.

That said, as soon as the lease is up I won't be taking another. I am fortunate that I will likely be able to afford to either buy the van or replace it with something reliable.

It's always nice to finish a story off so... Today I bedlined the van. I used Raptor liner and Raptor epoxy primer. Took all the floor and trim out and sanded everything with 80 grit sandpaper. Cleaned the bed with degreaser. Masked it all up, put full PPE on and sprayed the primer. Once that set (about 2 hours) sprayer the Bedliner. Looks good so far. Once it sets I'm gonna put the trim back on. Around the sliding doors there are a lot of electrics so I'm gonna use some black sanitary sealant to seal the trim. I'll post some pics now.

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 17.14.06.png

Obviously I can't comment on the longevity of it but the costs were;

Compressor £100

PPE (Eye goggles, disposable suit, mask) £25

Sander £40

Sanding paper £5

Masking tape and paper £10

Epoxy primer £35

Raptor liner £105

Total £325. Took me a day and next time it will be £160 cheaper as I won't need the compressor, goggles, mask and sander.

Looks great. Is it a Vauxhall judging from the pattern?

really good you’re able to put your hand to those different jobs. It can be a real force accelerator in a small or medium business. 
Thanks mate. It's a Doblo, same as the Vauxhall Combo though.

Looks much better with the trim back on. The epoxy had a few runs but the Bedliner seems to have dried spot on. Next weekend I'll be fitting some pole holders and perhaps something to hold a step ladder. Grippa are all booked for 4th Feb.

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 19.02.09.png

Latest Posts

Back