Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van Security

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Truckcab79

I’ve got a Ford Transit Custom 2019 facelift model. Had to happen soon or later but had it broken into this week. Sod’s Law the last day of a job so mostly cleaning and not too many tools on the van. Still damaged the side cargo door and took whatever they could.

Have already fitted a plate to the side door and a 5mm steel plate internally. (Horse/bolted..I know ?).

Any recommendations for the rear doors? I was looking at the Armadillo. Supposedly standard for British Gas vans and Zero successful thefts when fitted, if you believe that. At the end of the day if they want to get it they’ll get in. Mate had two of his cut open with an angle grinder while working, so nothing is foolproof if they’re determined but I only need to to be good enough that they’ll pick someone else’s next time.

What do you have on yours?

We shouldn’t have to lock anything up or keep possessions away. Examples need to be made of these thieves , wether its chopping their hands off or just dropping all the ***** in the middle of the ocean and say good luck. Id like to say that sign writing your van and having window cleaner on it would stop it as we don't possess the tools they wanna sell on for big money.

We shouldn’t have to lock anything up or keep possessions away. Examples need to be made of these thieves , wether its chopping their hands off or just dropping all the ***** in the middle of the ocean and say good luck. Id like to say that sign writing your van and having window cleaner on it would stop it as we don't possess the tools they wanna sell on for big money.

You’re correct of course but not the world we live in sadly. These three robbed the van in broad daylight in an affluent area with plenty of passers-by and on cctv. Chances are that the plates on the car were cloned and they wore ‘Covid’ masks but you’d recognise them easily regardless. They know that police don’t give a toss. I know I’m being simplistic but cloned or not if they’d stuck the plates straight on the ANPR system they could have picked them up pretty rapidly. As it was the response was that I had to fill the details in online and it would be looked at in approximately a week. ?

My daughter recently had a grands worth of luggage taken while on a train. Wouldn’t even issue a crime reference as they were at least honest enough to tell her it wouldn’t be investigated.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HYDX7KP/?tag=wcf01-21

I bought these from Ebay 5 years ago for £280. One on back door and one on side door, took a day to fit both and I see BG have them fitted as standard now. Just means the thieves will make more noise and time to get in so generally will look for easier targets. I believe they have been well worth it and will fit them again on new van when I get it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HYDX7KP/?tag=wcf01-21

I bought these from Ebay 5 years ago for £280. One on back door and one on side door, took a day to fit both and I see BG have them fitted as standard now. Just means the thieves will make more noise and time to get in so generally will look for easier targets. I believe they have been well worth it and will fit them again on new van when I get it.
That’s the ones though BG fit the Armadillo brand apparently. Look the same though. I can buy them for £125 each. Sounds like a good option.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My neighbour is a builder has a brand new Transit. He's been working at Heathrow. He's got extra locks on side and rear. Thieves cut through the door a couple of nights back while he was in his hotel room sleeping. Made a right mess of van. He took his tools to his bedroom. They didn't get anything....

Didn't someone mention a while back about a motion sensor alarm for van doors where the owner was on Dragons Den trying to get financial backing to increase his sales?

My neighbour is a builder has a brand new Transit. He's been working at Heathrow. He's got extra locks on side and rear. Thieves cut through the door a couple of nights back while he was in his hotel room sleeping. Made a right mess of van. He took his tools to his bedroom. They didn't get anything....

Didn't someone mention a while back about a motion sensor alarm for van doors where the owner was on Dragons Den trying to get financial backing to increase his sales?
Yes it was someone Steve Garwood knows. I saw the pitch. It looked like a great idea with a lot of potential but he was shot down in flames unfortunately.

I’m seeing vans on the road all the time that look a mess, which is clearly from some scrot bag that has forced the doors open. These thieves aren’t daft. Where there is a will, there is always a way. Whilst I wouldn’t advise against extra security locks. Thieves always know how to get around such things. But if they see extra security, then the deterrent may make them think twice about targeting your van. Obviously where you live is a big factor of getting targeted. Prior to where we live now, which is only a few miles away. I only had my car then. But every night thieves would try the handles on car doors to see if any was unlocked. I caught some in my car once as I caught them in the act. I was just loading my car up in winter time, was only about 7pm. My house then was a terrace and I was coming in and out of my house and came out of the back alley round the back of my house and there they was with a torch in looking in glove box sat in my car. I ran over and they shot off. Chased them up the road absolute scum bags. Didn’t catch them. But luckily they didn’t get anything. I only had trad gear in it. Then a few years prior to that just after Christmas came out of my house. Thought something looked strange. Then realised my double extension ladder and a ladder had gone. Prob did me a favour as the double ladder was on its last legs. It would be a pleasant feeling to think of them trying to use them and the ladder collapsing with them at the top of it ha. Now where we live we don’t have this regular occurrence. I have got a few ring camera though which detect motion and in the middle of the night if anything passes the camera, through the speakers of our echo Alexa devices it says motion detected. So I will always know now is someone is on my drive.

Yep. All I’m trying to do is make them go to someone else’s van. I’ll go with the Armadillos I think. There’s no solution which will stop then entirely but they seem as good as any. I’ve already got a motion alarm in there. Made no difference. At home it’s under camera and more importantly emptied of all the expensive stuff every night.

We might be witnessing a change in human behaviour regarding van thefts. When folk get desperate they result to desperate measures so we might be at the beginning of a theft epidemic. We all should take a look at our security, Vans, sheds, lockups and even our homes. ? Even if we have nothing to steal the thieves don't know that because they read the signals sending out from our vans signwriting.

I’ve got a Ford Transit Custom 2019 facelift model. Had to happen soon or later but had it broken into this week. Sod’s Law the last day of a job so mostly cleaning and not too many tools on the van. Still damaged the side cargo door and took whatever they could.

Have already fitted a plate to the side door and a 5mm steel plate internally. (Horse/bolted..I know ?).

Any recommendations for the rear doors? I was looking at the Armadillo. Supposedly standard for British Gas vans and Zero successful thefts when fitted, if you believe that. At the end of the day if they want to get it they’ll get in. Mate had two of his cut open with an angle grinder while working, so nothing is foolproof if they’re determined but I only need to to be good enough that they’ll pick someone else’s next time.

What do you have on yours?
Scumbags ? there’s a guy near me that invents all kinds stuff for the weak points of vans check he’s website google protecta van childerditch ??

Mines sits out on the street unlocked, storage box in full view which is also unlocked in the garden. I've forgot to close the side doors a few times and it'd been left like that all night. There's 2 junkies in the next street aswell.

One of these might not be a bad thing, even has a flap you can slide your pole in D6CFF152-8BB5-4B1D-B1CC-56134385C486.jpeg

Attachments

• C5D7EBA6-595B-4F14-87F9-D0FB5DFD5739.jpeg
    C5D7EBA6-595B-4F14-87F9-D0FB5DFD5739.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 0
Not sure that would be much cop, todays thief has no qualms about firing up a screaming grinder with a shower of sparks to open things up
Nothing does unfortunately. Mate had two of his vans done that way. Broad daylight. Outside a clients house.

I’ve ordered the two armadillos through part of me just thinks I’ve spent £300 making my van look even more worth breaking into.

Latest Posts

Back