Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Vans vans Vans...... talk to me

WCF

Help Support WCF:

My opinion. This diesel drama is all smoke and mirrors and an excuse to further tax the 'worst' pollutants on the road. There are fewer diesels in London due to Governemt and Quasi Government taxes and emmision zone charges and threats of new higher charges. But pollution has gone up as cold running petrols cause more pollution than new diesels do. Look how harmful one of the ingredient in petrol is, benzene.

"Benzene causes harmful effects on the bone marrow and can cause a decrease in red blood cells, leading to anemia. ... Long-term exposure to high levels of benzene in the air can cause leukemia, cancer of the blood-forming organs."

Nozzles on petrol dispensers have a small tube at the top of the nozzle. This serves 2 purposes. The first is to suck posionous petrol fumes away the operator and second they can reprocess that captured gas fumes back into petrol and resell it. Its called a "Vapour Recovery System" and its UK law that fuel stations that expect a throughput of 500,000 liters a month have to have a recovery system installed.

Watch; they will start a war on petrol engines next. The government has put a lot of muscle/mouth behind battery operated vehicles as the future and they will want to see results.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the Toyota Hiace? Not the prettiest and not the best MPG but very reliable, well built and good payload. Most newer models of vans often don't live up to the reputation of their predecessors like T5 and T4, but so far the newer Hiaces are still going well

I love my toyota hiace. Old, drives like a tractor, drinks the juice, starts on the button and I love it..I wouldn't swap it for a new T5

not sure what the new ones are like!

A lot depends on if your a dedicated window cleaner or an all aspects of exterior cleaning operation I.e. 600 litre water tank, gutter vac and generator, pressure washer regarding the perfect van. Plus it would be handy for.me to have a set of ladders inside the van.

Ideally I would like a mwb Iveco Daily (has a truck chassis) or a Sprinter or Crafter.

But looking at the Mercedes Vito would be handy as well. The doors make it handy to run a generator  or petrol pressure washer without having to unload them.

My opinion. This diesel drama is all smoke and mirrors and an excuse to further tax the 'worst' pollutants on the road. There are fewer diesels in London due to Governemt and Quasi Government taxes and emmision zone charges and threats of new higher charges. But pollution has gone up as cold running petrols cause more pollution than new diesels do. Look how harmful one of the ingredient in petrol is, benzene.

"Benzene causes harmful effects on the bone marrow and can cause a decrease in red blood cells, leading to anemia. ... Long-term exposure to high levels of benzene in the air can cause leukemia, cancer of the blood-forming organs."

Nozzles on petrol dispensers have a small tube at the top of the nozzle. This serves 2 purposes. The first is to suck posionous petrol fumes away the operator and second they can reprocess that captured gas fumes back into petrol and resell it. Its called a "Vapour Recovery System" and its UK law that fuel stations that expect a throughput of 500,000 liters a month have to have a recovery system installed.

Watch; they will start a war on petrol engines next. The government has put a lot of muscle/mouth behind battery operated vehicles as the future and they will want to see results.

Saw this in the Dailymail today.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-6733271/Are-diesel-cars-really-dirty-Tests-reveal-models-produce-zero-NOx-emissions.html

Yep, I think the days of petrol and diesel engines are definitely numbered. But I think it will take a bit longer for commercial vehicles to be replaced than cars. It is a pity that our glorious leaders and all the "experts" don't seem to know what they're doing. They advised us to get diesel rather than petrol, then condemned it shortly after. I wonder how long it will take for a cleaner safer vehicle fuel to be developed with the infrastructure to back it up? 

Yep, I think the days of petrol and diesel engines are definitely numbered. But I think it will take a bit longer for commercial vehicles to be replaced than cars. It is a pity that our glorious leaders and all the "experts" don't seem to know what they're doing. They advised us to get diesel rather than petrol, then condemned it shortly after. I wonder how long it will take for a cleaner safer vehicle fuel to be developed with the infrastructure to back it up? 

What happened about all the hydrogen hype a few years back? Zero pollutant emissions. Back then they couldn't adapt it to become tax viable so it appears to have been swept under the carpet. The Eton graduates still haven't realised that to recharge electric vehicles requires electricity. If the car industry become electric then will there be enough electric to supply all these charging needs? 

The country still needs to build 5 new power stations to supply envisaged future demands. One report suggested that charging higher tarrifs for peak time use (early morning and early evening) will reduce that requirement to 3 new power stations. This is why they are pushing smart meters I've heard it said.

Back in the 70s the only diesels were lorries vans tractors and buses all were smokey and slow ,and diesel cheaper than petrol .  80/90s a few cars about with diesels ,but as engines got better more people switched to diesel then diesel prices went higher than petrol .Now they want us to switch to electric but at the moment there is no company that can viably recycle on large scale the batteries .

At the moment road tax is based on emisions so very little if nothing is taken in road tax from electric vehicles so if we all went electric that is a major government funding gone so who will pay for road repairs then . A 1 ton electric car will do same damage as a 1 ton diesel car to road surface .

Yeah folks, it's all a mess. Our leaders are like headless chickens. They consentrate their efforts on feathering their own nests and getting one over on each other by winning arguments. They totally miss the point of what they should be doing, running the country. 

You'd think there should be enough intelligence and wisdom for them to be getting the hang of it by now. 

I'd love an electric van.

When my custy says "do you want to use my outside tap for your water?"

I can say "No thank you...but would you mind plugging this into your mains!"

Anyone know the difference between Peugeot expert n Toyota proace. I know they are basically the same, any differences you know though? 

Wanted to get a proace, but there’s a experts same engine spec that I want on a Peugeot expert 

Regards

dan 

Thought I’d chip in here lads...  

I did some market research last week the criteria was business owners that use a van/hgv daily.

Long story short all the local councils around me are planning on bringing in clean air zones, basically if your van isn’t a 16 plate or newer you will be charged £7.50 a day to enter these zones that will be all over greater Manchester  (starting 2023 for vans)

They wanted to know what plans could the government/councils put in place to best assist us- 

1. Grants given to businesses dependant on certain criteria’s. 

2. 600 electric charging points added in and around Manchester. 

3. 0% finance deals on vans 

I don’t know if this has been on the news or not, I didn’t have a clue about it and thought I’d give you guys a heads up. It’s good news for me as I can now justify buying a new van rather than the 13 year old shed I currently have. I imagine that once it’s put into place any van older than a 16 plate is going to really depreciate in value. 

They’re planning on introducing it all over the country the next place being Birmingham.

I don’t like the plans at all as they’re forcing you to make a change. IMO its just another way for them to squeeze more money out of the working man and it’s certainly going to put a lot of people out of business. 

This is killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

The price of each clean will rise to cover the emissions zones. The pollution problem is Manchester airport the same as it is Heathrow airport in London.

Bit off topic but if a van has a payload capacity of 600kg for example. Does this mean the tie down points in the rear of the van are capable of securing a 500kg load in the van.

Or if that is not the case, what are the tie down points capable of safley securing weight wise? 

Back