Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Vauxhall Combo Oil Change - Does It Worth To Diy ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I was quoted at a local garage 59 quid

but I've done it cheaper

£16 ramps

£6 hex key

£9 oil filter

£32 oil

£13 pliers

total £76 lol

plus an air filter for £9

_________________________________________--

also just to say that I bought 3 oil filters ha ha - firstly got a small 86 mm from europarts , then next day saw same one on amazon for 3 quid - so I bought that too : D - just for the future

apparently the small 86 mm doesn't fit /emoticons/sad.png so I got a big one for £9 in halfords .

PS: the most difficult part was to unscrew the plastic filter housing - I couldn't so bought pliers too

Well at least you have the tools for next time.

Glad it went without a hitch! Well nothing major.

You will also have ramps for next time too.....£16 where did you get these from?

Only place in notts I could find that had ramps was machine mart around 30 - 40 quid!

ramps from ebay of course - used but seems to be strong enough

believe it or not - but my van drives better - Not sure which helped more new oil or a new air filter

I think the air filter made the difference

my only concern about what Ive done - is the volume of oil drained and filled

what I got in the bowl - waste oil , filled up a 2.2 L of bottle from milk - may be - a bit split on the ground and a bit left in the bowl - which won't be more than one pint .

in the book I found that this model needs 3.8 Litres of oil , and it is almost exactly how much i putted in .

the level of oil on dipstick before changing was at least at half of the mark

why is a difference in volume then ?

anyway - all good

do you guys change the brake pads yourself too ? I found online a pair of pads for under £20 - and I thought to try it at home - rather then paying a 40 - 50 quid at the garage

3.2 litres is the max engine oil capacity for engine, i think i told you between 4 and 5. Which is wrong lol

As for brake pads

I have just done disk and pads on mine.

Two sizes on both 260mm discs or 2800mm discs. small or large brake pads.

If you intend doing pads, you need a special torx NUT socket. So basically the opposite of the sump. The star torx shape sticks out.

I did front pads and discs in around 2 hours.

Very Very easy. No special tools apart from that odd torx nut.

3.2 litres is the max engine oil capacity for engine, i think i told you between 4 and 5. Which is wrong lol

As for brake pads

I have just done disk and pads on mine.

Two sizes on both 260mm discs or 2800mm discs. small or large brake pads.

If you intend doing pads, you need a special torx NUT socket. So basically the opposite of the sump. The star torx shape sticks out.

I did front pads and discs in around 2 hours.

Very Very easy. No special tools apart from that odd torx nut.
sorry to be a pain - may I ask you few more questions

do I have to find out whats the disk size and then order the pads accordingly - big or small pads ? or better to take the pads off and measure them ?

do you remember the size of the torx nut socket ? and where do you use it - as saw on youtube this guy didn't need a torx socket - when changing the pads on vauxhall

thank you

PS: I thought to buy these http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Vauxhall_Combo_1.3_2008/p/car-parts/car-brakes/brake-friction/brake-pads/?101720038&1&24c2b71215adc1f576e129aa2d9c5ecf05134652&000036

sorry to be a pain - may I ask you few more questions

do I have to find out whats the disk size and then order the pads accordingly - big or small pads ? or better to take the pads off and measure them ?

You need to know if you have 260mm discs or 280mm discs. If you have small discs you have small pads. My van is a 2006 and every time they check i always have two options, as i think its a change over year for a few parts.

do you remember the size of the torx nut socket ? and where do you use it - as saw on youtube this guy didn't need a torx socket - when changing the pads on vauxhall

View attachment 1810

View attachment 1811

Back