Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Want to make own water

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hey Matt, if you are going to buy or build a processing shed, would it be possible to make it big enough for more than one use. Ie, could you put your tumble dryers in there. I have the processing, the washing machine, the dryer, a freezer, plus mine and my son's kayaking gear in the one I built. Freed up some space in the kitchen. Like I said. Now's  the time for careful planning.

Hey Matt, if you are going to buy or build a processing shed, would it be possible to make it big enough for more than one use. Ie, could you put your tumble dryers in there. I have the processing, the washing machine, the dryer, a freezer, plus mine and my son's kayaking gear in the one I built. Freed up some space in the kitchen. Like I said. Now's  the time for careful planning.
Hey, yes I could possibly make it big enough for a tumble dryer as well.. I’ve got a little while to plan everything out as yet I can get water from a guy I do some work for so no rush and want to get it right 

I think you'll be better off using a hose and have it insulated and have it going through some pipe to protect it 
It all depends how ideal that is or not as running 10-15 metres of hose around the house into a shed which will be laid across the path and possibly a trip hazard for visitor's/delivery people as it's going to be a permanent fixture having an R/O running for hours each day and if it's not insulated well enough and freezes overnight then he will be scuppered the following day,

If running a hose around the hose is the only option then it would be best to simply drain the hose during the winter each night to avoid any issues. 

It all depends how ideal that is or not as running 10-15 metres of hose around the house into a shed which will be laid across the path and possibly a trip hazard for visitor's/delivery people as it's going to be a permanent fixture having an R/O running for hours each day and if it's not insulated well enough and freezes overnight then he will be scuppered the following day,

If running a hose around the hose is the only option then it would be best to simply drain the hose during the winter each night to avoid any issues. 
The missus has just said why don’t I have it out on the front lawn where the tap is i told her it needs to be in a safe place and insulated she just came up with the idea of having a little shed built round it out the front with a padlock and stuff on it.. thoughts? 

The missus has just said why don’t I have it out on the front lawn where the tap is i told her it needs to be in a safe place and insulated she just came up with the idea of having a little shed built round it out the front with a padlock and stuff on it.. thoughts? 
Your missus sounds very understanding! ?

Perhaps depends on your planning laws and the potential for scumbags to interfere with it? Only you will know how those things affect your area.

Your missus sounds very understanding! ?

Perhaps depends on your planning laws and the potential for scumbags to interfere with it? Only you will know how those things affect your area.
Yes she’s a good ol gal just wants me to do well! (So I can pay for her stuff! ?) I don’t think there’s any laws that would prohibit me from building a lean to shed type thing on the front of the property. As for people interfering with it I would  have it made so it can be locked up securely and I plan to have a garden fence put up round the front eventually so unless they smash through the wood to get to it or start ripping the hoses out through the holes Im hoping nobody would bother.. I’ll try put a picture up when it’s light of what my front garden is like.

Yes she’s a good ol gal just wants me to do well! (So I can pay for her stuff! ?) I don’t think there’s any laws that would prohibit me from building a lean to shed type thing on the front of the property. As for people interfering with it I would  have it made so it can be locked up securely and I plan to have a garden fence put up round the front eventually so unless they smash through the wood to get to it or start ripping the hoses out through the holes Im hoping nobody would bother.. I’ll try put a picture up when it’s light of what my front garden is like.
If she really loves you and understands you, she’ll let you keep your tank in the front room ??‍?

If it's going out the front I would say work out what quantity of water you use each day. Double it and maybe add a little more for expansion (future work nor water expansion) then size the 'shed' as small as possible that will fit a tank that size when you have added decent amount of insulation. 

There are some decent looking wheelie bin storage solutions like this : https://amzn.to/39ZdkQO It is designed to take 2 x 240 liter wheelie bins. So depending on how much water you use that sort of thing might work. They sort have space in the panels that you can add solid insulation like polystyrene or even better Kingspan/celotex type insulation to. Not sure if you could also fit water processing kit in as well as 2 x 240lts bins but might give you alternative ideas?

They even sell wheelie bins here: https://amzn.to/3oCyjNA that might work well all depending on how much pure you want?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you're going to house your processing equipment plus a 1000 litre tank and a 1" transfer hose long enough to reach the van, that's going to need to be a fair size shed. A minimum of 5ft high, 6 or 7 ft long and 4ft front to back I'd say. My choice would be to put a tee piece on the position of the front tap so it can stay in commission. I'd put a John Guest inline stop tap in and work away from it with JG pipes to a shed out the back. If possible I'd put the pipe fairly shallow under the ground and make sure everything is insulated with grey sleeve insulation.

Personally, I also wouldn't like my business to be in full view of neighbours, local authorities and passers by. "Out of sight out of mind" and all that.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's going out the front I would say work out what quantity of water you use each day. Double it and maybe add a little more for expansion (future work nor water expansion) then size the 'shed' as small as possible that will fit a tank that size when you have added decent amount of insulation. 

There are some decent looking wheelie bin storage solutions like this : https://amzn.to/39ZdkQO It is designed to take 2 x 240 liter wheelie bins. So depending on how much water you use that sort of thing might work. They sort have space in the panels that you can add solid insulation like polystyrene or even better Kingspan/celotex type insulation to. Not sure if you could also fit water processing kit in as well as 2 x 240lts bins but might give you alternative ideas?

They even sell wheelie bins here: https://amzn.to/3oCyjNA that might work well all depending on how much pure you want?
I have a 500 litre tank but don’t always use the full 500 as I do a mixture of trad and wfp it all depends what sort of day I’m doing but I was thinking of getting a 1000 litre ibc tank.  I’ll have a look at those things you suggested thanks. Was thinking of getting the missus dad to build me one out of wood and get him to insulate it as well he’s good at that sort of thing he built my lean to and decking  combo out the back garden so  this would be easy enough for him..

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a 500 litre tank but don’t always use the full 500 as I do a mixture of trad and wfp it all depends what sort of day I’m doing but I was thinking of getting a 1000 litre ibc tank.  I’ll have a look at those things you suggested thanks. Was thinking of getting the missus dad to build me one out of wood and get him to insulate it as well he’s good at that sort of thing he built my lean to and decking  combo out the back garden so  this would be easy enough for him..
1000 IBC would be best. So wheelie bin storage wont work. Sounds like you have perfect person to build you a shed. 

The reason I suggested double your daily was that way if you fill one day and your pure system fails to produce any water while you are out then you still have enough pure for next day. Always try and have a backup plan ? 

If you're going to house your processing equipment plus a 1000 litre tank and a 1" transfer hose long enough to reach the van, that's going to need to be a fair size shed. A minimum of 5ft high, 6 or 7 ft long and 4ft front to back I'd say. My choice would be to put a tee piece on the position of the front tap so it can stay in commission. I'd put a John Guest inline stop tap in and work away from it with JG pipes to a shed out the back. If possible I'd put the pipe fairly shallow under the ground and make sure everything is insulated with grey sleeve insulation.

Personally, I also wouldn't like my business to be in full view of neighbours, local authorities and passers by. "Out of sight out of mind" and all that.
I’d definitely rather have it out the back just weighing up my options really. Want the best set up possible with easy access and maintenance and not a great deal of extra work to get it that way.. but needs must I guess! Can’t bury the hose because the alley is concrete and a public footpath don’t wanna go digging that up but could possibly run it along my side wall... ahhhh options options options... ?

1000 IBC would be best. So wheelie bin storage wont work. Sounds like you have perfect person to build you a shed. 

The reason I suggested double your daily was that way if you fill one day and your pure system fails to produce any water while you are out then you still have enough pure for next day. Always try and have a backup plan ? 
Yes most definitely 1000 seems the way to go then I’ll have a tanks worth at least if something like that did happen I guess ?

We are all different and know our areas, personally for me it would be an absolute no if my house and garden where facing out onto a through road. 

We are all different and know our areas, personally for me it would be an absolute no if my house and garden where facing out onto a through road. 
I live in a small close I don’t really want it to be out the front for obvious reasons I’m just thinking of all options I’d try to make it as safe as I could padlock doors sling a chain round it etc 

I live in a small close I don’t really want it to be out the front for obvious reasons I’m just thinking of all options I’d try to make it as safe as I could padlock doors sling a chain round it etc 

Areas not too bad got it’s wrong uns like everywhere I guess plus there’s usually someone there my missus during the day and me afternoon/evenings. Might be a bit daunting leaving it going on holiday though haha.

If you can don't keep transfer pump and anything else valuable in the shed. In an ideal world just have the pure in tank in there. 

By adding more security it looks to thieving g1ts like there is something valuable in it!!!

I was thinking more about how it would look at the front of a house as well no matter what the location.

If you can don't keep transfer pump and anything else valuable in the shed. In an ideal world just have the pure in tank in there. 

By adding more security it looks to thieving g1ts like there is something valuable in it!!!
Yer never thought of that!  I’m just praying there’s a way to fit a tap at the back without too much hassle 

I was thinking more about how it would look at the front of a house as well no matter what the location.
The missus would paint it up make it look proper 

Back