Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Want to make own water

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The missus has just said why don’t I have it out on the front lawn where the tap is i told her it needs to be in a safe place and insulated she just came up with the idea of having a little shed built round it out the front with a padlock and stuff on it.. thoughts? 
Have you not any older family member like grandparents who aren't on a water meter and have a garage free

Put it wherever you like. It's your system and we can't see where how or what you intend to do 

Have you not any older family member like grandparents who aren't on a water meter and have a garage free

Put it wherever you like. It's your system and we can't see where how or what you intend to do 
No I don’t have any older relatives with garages unfortunately. I was lead to believe that being on a water meter isn’t a big deal as made out?? As for putting it where I like it’s more a case of where is possible what with not having a tap fitted in the back garden and no water source at the back of house save having a pipe fitted from the upstairs back bathroom like other people suggested.

could possibly drain it just outside back fence if it’s long enough? Have a drain there. Can you make it as long as you need? 
I've been thinking. Is there a downpipe from the gutter that goes into the ground, which could take the waste water at ground level or just below it? That's what I did.

I don't know why it didn't dawn on me till now? ☺️ If necessary you could cut a small channel across the path to avoid leaving a trip hazard.

This would avoid prying eyes and prevent waterlogging the garden.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was lead to believe that being on a water meter isn’t a big deal as made out?
Without me going back to the start. What is your tds, how much water do you use a day, and how do you currently get pure?

While there is a risk from buying pure from someone else or a company as they might stop, making it your self is a bit of an undertaking in your situation. Have a look at your water bills, (1000 litres is 1m3) so work out what your monthly water costs would be on a meter remembering that for every 1000lts you use on wfp you also have 1,500 lt's going down the drain. Then add 2.5m3 of waste water charge from your water bill.

This will give you an idea of the costs of being on a water meter. 

I would guestimate that a 4040 RO system is going to be about £600, then if your water pressure is lower than about 70psi (most are lower) then you need a pump (£100 to £500). You need a plumber to fit some pipe work, if you need a pump then an electrician to fit external socket plus your shed and insulation. Then a drain.

I'm not trying to put you off just make you think the hole thing through.

Without me going back to the start. What is your tds, how much water do you use a day, and how do you currently get pure?

While there is a risk from buying pure from someone else or a company as they might stop, making it your self is a bit of an undertaking in your situation. Have a look at your water bills, (1000 litres is 1m3) so work out what your monthly water costs would be on a meter remembering that for every 1000lts you use on wfp you also have 1,500 lt's going down the drain. Then add 2.5m3 of waste water charge from your water bill.

This will give you an idea of the costs of being on a water meter. 

I would guestimate that a 4040 RO system is going to be about £600, then if your water pressure is lower than about 70psi (most are lower) then you need a pump (£100 to £500). You need a plumber to fit some pipe work, if you need a pump then an electrician to fit external socket plus your shed and insulation. Then a drain.

I'm not trying to put you off just make you think the hole thing through.
I currently work with someone who makes the water but in new year will be working alone but still getting water from this person. Just in future would like to make my own.  not in any rush I’m ok for time being and will do the necessary working out.. I have a few different options to think through 

I currently work with someone who makes the water but in new year will be working alone but still getting water from this person. Just in future would like to make my own.  not in any rush I’m ok for time being and will do the necessary working out.. I have a few different options to think through 
That's great, I was worried you were in a rush to sort it. It's great that you have time to work out best way. As the saying goes 'where there is a will there is a way' ?

I've been thinking. Is there a downpipe from the gutter that goes into the ground, which could take the waste water at ground level or just below it? That's what I did.

I don't know why it didn't dawn on me till now? ☺️ If necessary you could cut a small channel across the path to avoid leaving a trip hazard.

This would avoid prying eyes and prevent waterlogging the garden.
No gutter is straight through with the down pipe being at the end of the block.. I was thinking maybe I could have the ibc in a shed/box at the front and keep the purifying equipment just inside my porch in the front, there I have a plug socket for electricity and then just outside the front door I have the front outside tap I know I can shut my front door on a electric cable so maybe that would be ok.

That's great, I was worried you were in a rush to sort it. It's great that you have time to work out best way. As the saying goes 'where there is a will there is a way' ?
Yer although I have been worrying about wether being on a water meter will be costly my general bill isn’t very high so I’ll just have to work out what it’s going to cost me ? 

I was thinking maybe I could have the ibc in a shed/box at the front and keep the purifying equipment just inside my porch in the front, there I have a plug socket for electricity and then just outside the front door I have the front outside tap I know I can shut my front door on a electric cable so maybe that would be ok.
A small 450GPD RO system and a booster pump should only take up about 500mm wide, about 400mm hi and about 200mm deep including a small booster pump. So it could fit in a cupboard say under your sink. Then your IBC outside with a new hole through wall.

You can tee into the kitchen sink supply and there are adapters for connecting a dishwasher to the u bend under sink. Then you just need to thread the power cable through to a socket. 

A 450GBP RO system should give you about 60 litres of pure an hour. So about 8hrs to fill. Some booster pumps need a cool down after a couple of hrs running. So might be more like 10 hrs.

A small 450GPD RO system and a booster pump should only take up about 500mm wide, about 400mm hi and about 200mm deep including a small booster pump. So it could fit in a cupboard say under your sink. Then your IBC outside with a new hole through wall.

You can tee into the kitchen sink supply and there are adapters for connecting a dishwasher to the u bend under sink. Then you just need to thread the power cable through to a socket. 

A 450GBP RO system should give you about 60 litres of pure an hour. So about 8hrs to fill. Some booster pumps need a cool down after a couple of hrs running. So might be more like 10 hrs.
Another possibility then ? I have a fair amount of room near the front door so maybe that might be the best way.. Least that way the most expensive bits are indoors. I could get an electrician to fit me an outdoor socket near the front door so I wouldn’t have to shut the cable in the door.. 

Another possibility then ? I have a fair amount of room near the front door so maybe that might be the best way.. Least that way the most expensive bits are indoors. I could get an electrician to fit me an outdoor socket near the front door so I wouldn’t have to shut the cable in the door.. 
but then I’m forgetting the hose like a tit aren’t I ?

No gutter is straight through with the down pipe being at the end of the block.. I was thinking maybe I could have the ibc in a shed/box at the front and keep the purifying equipment just inside my porch in the front, there I have a plug socket for electricity and then just outside the front door I have the front outside tap I know I can shut my front door on a electric cable so maybe that would be ok.
I'd process outside of the house. The water supply is already outside.

It's the tank that takes up the room. The processing kit is fairly compact in comparison, so you might as well make room for it with the tank. Any pipe bursts and wet maintenance, filter changes and the like, will be completely out of the house.

Electrical supply should be very easy to sort. I wouldn't be running a cable under the door. Do the job once, do it to a professional standard.
Get a good quality outside socket fitted and be done with it.  Preferably a double one. I use a top quality one from screwfix. Code : 67928, £9.99, left side of page 319, recommended by a top notch electrician and it's British made. If you go this route, consult an electrician to make sure it's the right one for your house. The one beside it in the catalogue is fitted with an RCD. I didn't need that as my consumer unit has one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd process outside of the house. It's the tank that takes up the room. The processing kit is fairly compact in comparison, so you might as well make room for it with the tank. Electrical supply should be very easy to sort. I wouldn't be running a cable under the door. Do the job once, do it to a professional standard.
Get a good quality outside socket fitted and be done with it.  Preferably a double one. I use a top quality one from screwfix. Code : 67928, £9.99, left side of page 319. If you go this route, consult an electrician to make sure it's the right one for your house. The one beside it in the catalogue is fitted with an RCD. I didn't need that as my consumer unit has one.
Thanks will have a look at that. Seems like the best option unless I somehow manage to get figure out having it out the back. My front garden is open at the moment which is why I suggested having it in a locked box just in case but I’m just not so sure about it being out the front ?

Thanks will have a look at that. Seems like the best option unless I somehow manage to get figure out having it out the back. My front garden is open at the moment which is why I suggested having it in a locked box just in case but I’m just not so sure about it being out the front ?
Secure and private in the back would be my preference. If at all possible.

Latest Posts

Back