Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Want to make own water

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Obviously I’m new to how it all works and this may be a stupid question, but is it possible to just run a hose from the front to back as and when I need to be making pure water I.e getting a hose out in the morning connecting it up and going about my day? If so I can keep the hose in my shed round the back so it never freezes up that way I can just have the ibc and pure making facilities in an insulated shed and just plug it in and leave it for the day  and then when I got home could take hose back off and put in shed?? Seems a faf to do that but I’d rather that if it’s possible...

I’m just praying there’s a way to fit a tap at the back without too much hassle 
I assume that your bathroom is at front as well? 

If so then maybe easiest way is take a feed from bathroom up into loft then across loft and down outside at back (with insulation)?

I assume that your bathroom is at front as well? 

If so then maybe easiest way is take a feed from bathroom up into loft then across loft and down outside at back (with insulation)?
No luckily the bathroom and separate toilet are at the back on the right hand side right above where I’d like the tap to go which is a bonus I’m guessing. Just not sure how much work/cost it would be for plumber to come chase out the wall and fit a pipe down..

No luckily the bathroom and separate toilet are at the back on the right hand side right above where I’d like the tap to go which is a bonus I’m guessing. Just not sure how much work/cost it would be for plumber to come chase out the wall and fit a pipe down..
Why chase out the wall? You can surface mount it to the outside of the wall and insulate it. If your partner was OK with a shed out front she should be OK with a pipe running down outside of rear of house?

To be honest if you have someone who can build a shed then I am sure you can drill a hole through wall, say under bath and tee into the cold water pipe that connects to bath tap. That should be nice and thick pipe at 22mm. You can just use a decent pipe cutter and john guest speed fit push connectors and a gate valve so you can shut off the pipe if necessary.

Shouldn't take more than an hour or so for a plumber, maybe a bit longer DIY if you have tools. Get a plumber to give you a quote, I can't imagine it would be very expensive.

Obviously I’m new to how it all works and this may be a stupid question, but is it possible to just run a hose from the front to back as and when I need to be making pure water I.e getting a hose out in the morning connecting it up and going about my day? If so I can keep the hose in my shed round the back so it never freezes up that way I can just have the ibc and pure making facilities in an insulated shed and just plug it in and leave it for the day  and then when I got home could take hose back off and put in shed?? Seems a faf to do that but I’d rather that if it’s possible...
Even a small amount of faff is still a faff. I'd be trying to make it as easy and self managing as possible. I fill up in the afternoon after work and process through the evening ready for the next fill. I usually have a day's water in reserve after filling the van tank. Everything stays in place.
The end of the transfer hose is clipped to a dog clip half way up to the side of the garage door. Three or four paces to the side door of the van, fill up, switch off pump, return, stow the hose, close up, lock up, in for a brew. Make it as easy and quick as you can. It's not always nice weather and you will be busy in time. 

Why chase out the wall? You can surface mount it to the outside of the wall and insulate it. If your partner was OK with a shed out front she should be OK with a pipe running down outside of rear of house?

To be honest if you have someone who can build a shed then I am sure you can drill a hole through wall, say under bath and tee into the cold water pipe that connects to bath tap. That should be nice and thick pipe at 22mm. You can just use a decent pipe cutter and john guest speed fit push connectors and a gate valve so you can shut off the pipe if necessary.

Shouldn't take more than an hour or so for a plumber, maybe a bit longer DIY if you have tools. Get a plumber to give you a quote, I can't imagine it would be very expensive.
Yes I will definitely be getting a plumber to have a look wouldn’t wanna diy it knowing my luck it will go wrong somehow. I suppose it could go down the outside just worried about freezing but it should be ok with good insulation should it? 

Even a small amount of faff is still a faff. I'd be trying to make it as easy and self managing as possible. I fill up in the afternoon after work and process through the evening ready for the next fill. I usually have a day's water in reserve after filling the van tank. Everything stays in place.
The end of the transfer hose is clipped to a dog clip half way up to the side of the garage door. Three or four paces to the side door of the van, fill up, switch off pump, return, stow the hose, close up, lock up, in for a brew. Make it as easy and quick as you can. It's not always nice weather and you will be busy in time. 
I would like it to be as easy as possible just wondered if that was a possibility at all it’s only getting a hose out I know but it’s easy to forget and get caught up doing other things isn’t it 

Matt-s said:
I would like it to be as easy as possible just wondered if that was a possibility at all it’s only getting a hose out I know but it’s easy to forget and get caught up doing other things isn’t it 
Just going to get a plumber in to have a look out the back see what he can do for me.. I wish I had a house with a garage would make things so much easier! 

Yes I will definitely be getting a plumber to have a look wouldn’t wanna diy it knowing my luck it will go wrong somehow. I suppose it could go down the outside just worried about freezing but it should be ok with good insulation should it? 
You could disconnect at the bottom and have a tap in bathroom to turn off then water in pipe could drain out so no water in the pipe when not in use? 

Alternatively get good thick insulation, plumber might be able to recommend or you can get heat trace cable that sits inside the insulation next to pipe to provide back ground heat but that brings electrics into the costs so best avoided.

You could disconnect at the bottom and have a tap in bathroom to turn off then water in pipe could drain out so no water in the pipe when not in use? 

Alternatively get good thick insulation, plumber might be able to recommend or you can get heat trace cable that sits inside the insulation next to pipe to provide back ground heat but that brings electrics into the costs so best avoided.
Ok thanks. I will look into getting a shut off tap installed and getting some good insulation then can’t go wrong with two measures for not freezing! 

Just going to get a plumber in to have a look out the back see what he can do for me.. I wish I had a house with a garage would make things so much easier! 
I have a garage but it's about 30ft away from house with no power or water let alone a drain! While it's close to bathroom the bathroom and kitchen (bungalow) both have solid concrete floors so getting water out under floor and in a trench is difficult.

So having a garage isn't necessarily any better ? 

Currently my small RO system is in bathroom cupboard and goes out wall to wheelie bin ? When I expand I will probably fit RO in van although I am not sure yet. 

Actually reading and thinking about your situation has given me an idea of installing a bigger RO system in loft room (power, water and drain there) and then pipe out to IBC in insulated box/shed. It would only need to be as big as IBC + insulation. Have driveway at rear to garage and drive at front to both front of bungalow and side so lots of options. Now just have to run that by my partner.......

I have a garage but it's about 30ft away from house with no power or water let alone a drain! While it's close to bathroom the bathroom and kitchen (bungalow) both have solid concrete floors so getting water out under floor and in a trench is difficult.

Currently my small RO system is in bathroom cupboard and goes out wall to wheelie bin ? When I expand I will probably fit RO in van although I am not sure yet. 

Actually reading and thinking about your situation has given me an idea of installing a bigger RO system in loft room (power, water and drain there) and then pipe out to IBC in insulated box/shed. It would only need to be as big as IBC + insulation. Have driveway at rear to garage and drive at front to both front of bungalow and side so lots of options. Now just have to run that by my partner.......
I wouldn't process in the loft, maintenance would be a nightmare and if you ever had a leak in the system it could cost thousands in damage to the house. The possibility is real, I've had a few leaks and bursts in the past.

Sounds like you’ve got your head screwed on for it all unlike me!  I’ve never made pure water always filled up with my chap I work with but in the new year I’ll be on my own which is why I’d like to eventually be self sufficient so it’s all gonna be a learning curve for me getting it sorted.. I could get an ro in the van I suppose as well but I’d like to have more room in the van so I think storage is the way I’ll go... I just realised I don’t have a drain in my back garden does this matter? 

Sounds like you’ve got your head screwed on for it all unlike me!  I’ve never made pure water always filled up with my chap I work with but in the new year I’ll be on my own which is why I’d like to eventually be self sufficient so it’s all gonna be a learning curve for me getting it sorted.. I could get an ro in the van I suppose as well but I’d like to have more room in the van so I think storage is the way I’ll go... I just realised I don’t have a drain in my back garden does this matter? 
When producing pure you 'waste' about 50-60% of the water going into the RO! So if you are using 500lts a day then you need to get rid of 500lts or more of waste water! Maybe back to front of house. Although if you don't have a drain in rear of house how does bath water get to drain?

You can probably find somewhere to drain into. Shrubbery, or quiet corner of the garden? Drain that you haven't noticed?

I wouldn't process in the loft, maintenance would be a nightmare and if you ever had a leak in the system it could cost thousands in damage to the house. The possibility is real, I've had a few leaks and bursts in the past.
It's not loft as such. We have a bungalow with a 'room in the roof'. It was probably 'converted' back in 50's or 60's. Very narrow staircase and more like just the original Victorian ceiling joists not floor joists!!! We currently have office there with my hobby stuff and a sort of separate room that has loo sink and partners hair drying bench. So it's all reasonable floor, no joists to balance on etc and heated by radiator. So water supply and drain are in same area as RO could be.

Just running ideas round really as have a while to go before I out grow my current little RO system. Cheers for warning. 

When producing pure you 'waste' about 50-60% of the water going into the RO! So if you are using 500lts a day then you need to get rid of 500lts or more of waste water! Maybe back to front of house. Although if you don't have a drain in rear of house how does bath water get to drain?
I can’t be sure without looking but I guess there must be one in the alleyway just outside my side gate

You can probably find somewhere to drain into. Shrubbery, or quiet corner of the garden? Drain that you haven't noticed?
 could possibly drain it just outside back fence if it’s long enough? Have a drain there. Can you make it as long as you need? 

It's not loft as such. We have a bungalow with a 'room in the roof'. It was probably 'converted' back in 50's or 60's. Very narrow staircase and more like just the original Victorian ceiling joists not floor joists!!! We currently have office there with my hobby stuff and a sort of separate room that has loo sink and partners hair drying bench. So it's all reasonable floor, no joists to balance on etc and heated by radiator. So water supply and drain are in same area as RO could be.

Just running ideas round really as have a while to go before I out grow my current little RO system. Cheers for warning. 
You're very welcome, Ched. Just be aware if a pipe or piece of equipment blows you could get a spurt or a spray of water for ten feet (in the house) . Possibly in several directions at the same time. You may spot it quickly but there could still be plenty of damage done. You might not notice for hours. There might not be anyone at home to spot it. I'm not trying to frighten you, but just warn you that where there's water under pressure there's always a risk and there are a lot of components and joints in a processing system.

could possibly drain it just outside back fence if it’s long enough? Have a drain there. Can you make it as long as you need? 
Yes you can. As far as I know. ?

Back