Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water Butt set up for DI

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Chris34

Hi all,

I've been filling drums for 8 months now direct from the resin canistor, now that the work load is increasing and it's getting darker earlier it's long been a chore and now it's becoming a pain in the backside filling them this way as it can take up to 1 hour just to get 150 litres.  

I am looking at using a water butt where I will leave it to fill all night / day on a slow pour through the di and then use the biggest tap I can find to fill the drums in super quick time from the water butt.

I've had a quick look at water butts and wilko do this 250 ltr one for £16, seems cheap and also seems the same as the one at toolstation which is £50, would this be ok?

0406184-2.jpg

I've noticed that to get the most out of the resin you have to pour the tap water slowly through it, this is fine but has anyone got any suggestions for controlling the flow accurately and cheaply?  

Cheers, Chris.

The only thing you would need to control the flow is a good quality tap , once fitted set it to a slow flow and time how long it takes to fill a 1 litre jug, times that by the number of litres capacity you have and you will have an estimate of roughly how long it will take to fill.

Use this as a guide though because changes in prssure can fluctuate your timing.

Id say to go for a small ibc, i have seen them i think its 600l but may be wrong, something like that would be around £50 and its a lot sturdier than a wilkos water butt.

for transfer i bought a brand new sump pump rated at 9000 l/hr for £30 off amazon, wanted brand new so there was no impurities going into the tank from a second hand one, that fills my van using a 1&1/2 braided hose and does it in around 4-5min, hope this helps

Iv been using this system for the past 5 years now , I'm collecting rain water off two separate gutters from down pipes , them pumping it using a submersible pump into to the DI Resin vessels I've 2 large ones and rotate them when TDS goes above 10 and then in to fresh vessle , 

TDS from the rain can be 20 so I get at least 8 / 12 months from a bag of resin , 

as my water is 450 from the tap ,i pump it directly in to clean water buts iv 10 and very rearly run out of water , 

best way to save money and produce cheap clean water , 

Resin Is £70 so the less you buy the more money you make ???

hope this helps you 

Iv been using this system for the past 5 years now , I'm collecting rain water off two separate gutters from down pipes , them pumping it using a submersible pump into to the DI Resin vessels I've 2 large ones and rotate them when TDS goes above 10 and then in to fresh vessle , 

TDS from the rain can be 20 so I get at least 8 / 12 months from a bag of resin , 

as my water is 450 from the tap ,i pump it directly in to clean water buts iv 10 and very rearly run out of water , 

hope this helps you 
Handy in ireland, get much more rainfall. im surprised the tap is 450 over there though

This could be an option to slow the flow into the water butt JOHN GUEST OUTSIDE TAP (3/4") TO 1/2" PUSH-FIT ADAPTER  you would need 3 in total and some JG tubing, as for the water butts the more expensive the stronger and thicker the plastic will be and will ultimately last longer more so if kept outside

I've had one water butt for over 11 years and it's rock solid but was either kept in a shady spot at our last house or in a shed at our current house for the last 6 years or so, I upgraded to a larger 350ltr one in recent weeks to go inside my shed my small shed, but my choices were restrictive on were I was able to have the water butt 

hope this helps you 
Flowing tap water slowly through the di vessels makes the resin last longer, offset it takes longer for the required amount of pure you need (just the way it is if you want your resin to last longer) and the tandem di tanks are what I use too. Of course depends on your tap dts on the viability of making pure just using di vessels only.

Back