Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water in glass

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Darkjustice

Water in glass had a lady blame me for water goin in between glass said it happened after I cleaned them. But not happened to any other houses

Her sealed unit has failed. In double glazed windows there are 2 panes of glass that have a spacer in between, the air is vacuumed out and an insulating gas ( usually Argon) is inserted they the whole unit is sealed. When this seal fails air is drawn in and this air contains water. When the temperature changes this moisture in the air will condense on the inside! So she might not have noticed the failed unit before and your water just lowered the temp so the water that was already there due to the unit failing has condensed.
If it was your fault why was it not the same on all her windows?

Her double glazing will be letting more heat escape via the failed unit - not a lot but without the argon they are slightly less efficient.

Her sealed unit has failed. In double glazed windows there are 2 panes of glass that have a spacer in between, the air is vacuumed out and an insulating gas ( usually Argon) is inserted they the whole unit is sealed. When this seal fails air is drawn in and this air contains water. When the temperature changes this moisture in the air will condense on the inside! So she might not have noticed the failed unit before and your water just lowered the temp so the water that was already there due to the unit failing has condensed.
If it was your fault why was it not the same on all her windows?

Her double glazing will be letting more heat escape via the failed unit - not a lot but without the argon they are slightly less efficient.
Thanks I did say if it's my fault then every window would do it. I've offered to ask more customers if they've had same issue

I shouldn’t worry it’s definitely not your fault sometimes customers will call you and say my window is still dirty or wet I go and check and yes it’s condensation between the panes it’s blown no one’s fault just happens

If they are old windows they are more likely to fail but it can happen with windows that are under 10 years old as well it's just the luck of the draw the customer automatically assumes we are at fault it could have been happening for months as she has only just noticed.

A few years ago I had a customer who bought a former show house which was around 5 years old, after around 6 months or so of cleaning the windows she got in contact to say that I had damaged the chrome-finished door handles with the chemicals I use in my water up until that point she had never noticed that the door handles had always had a fault with them, I explained that I don't use any chemicals and that the handles had been in the state since I started cleaning her windows and that they most likely had that a manufacturing fault or something else that could have happened as the handles were original

I thought I just hadn't noticed until now but I'm seeing a few windows have started ti mist since using wfp. Is this right?
I think that the water in our tanks, at this time of year, can cool the outer glass enough, when we clean, to drop the glass temp below the dew point and that's why the moisture in the failed panels changes from a gas to a liquid and shows up.

That's my theory anyway :)

As above, with the addition of if she’s reasonable she will accept it for what it is, if she is unreasonable or unable to process the information bin her and live a long and happy life not dealing with her ?
I honestly thought you was talking about marriage ?

they are old windows they are more likely to fail but it can happen with windows that are under 10 years old as well it's just the luck of the draw the customer automatically assumes we are at fault it could have been happening for months as she has only just noticed
We do a lot of new build flats and the amount that have blown within a couple of years is scary. Probably fitted poorly

We do a lot of new build flats and the amount that have blown within a couple of years is scary. Probably fitted poorly
I'd be inclined to agree with @Pjj windows over the years that I see on new build estates the quality has got worse you'd think they would improve the state of some of the frames is shocking one estate that springs to mind on my rounds have external beads fitted and they didn't look great a few years ago now they have warped and have green algae and moss growing behind the beads

I'd be inclined to agree with @Pjj windows over the years that I see on new build estates the quality has got worse you'd think they would improve the state of some of the frames is shocking one estate that springs to mind on my rounds have external beads fitted and they didn't look great a few years ago now they have warped and have green algae and moss growing behind the beads
Thought all new Windows now had to be internally glassed with solid external beading for security ?.

Thought all new Windows now had to be internally glassed with solid external beading for security ?.
That's what I had heard years ago but I doubt that's the case otherwise they wouldn't have got away with fitting them, windows that I clean that are over 20 years old look in better condition than those that are around 6-7 years old.

Back