Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

WFP Complete Kit on a £500 budget?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

MrRon

Hi 

I'm looking to get together a 'full' starter kit for WFP and hoping to use other peoples experience please.

I've never had a WFP setup but (ideally) for my £500 budget I would like...

- Gardiner backpack

- 27ft WFP

- Water Purification system (not sure which to go for here) 

- In case it helps I already bought a TDS meter to test our local water and it is in the 200 range out of the tap

- Connectors / hoses etc

- Any other recommended accessories or things I have missed?

I did try to make up a kit on the Gardiner website but started getting confused with all the different options. For example, the CLX27 has five submenu options with 5-10 options in each, that's hundreds of different potential setups so any advice greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

I got confused by same thing, phone Gardiners, speak to Emma and she will talk you through every option amd explain it so its idiot proof.

I got backpack pole brush n hose for £336.95.

I think to get everything under 500 eill be a struggle though as the bits soon mount up.

The tanks and ro systems are not cheap.

If say you need £800/1000 total and thats for the cheaper stuff.

My costs are mounting fairly quickly

For a very tight budget of £500 I would buy a Gardiner's Backpack, clx 27, basic RO, barrels.

Basic but will do the job. The RO can be upgraded as needs be later on with better/more membranes.

Details of the options I would choose are below in pics:

Screenshot_20191106-183138~2.png

Screenshot_20191106-183145~2.png

Screenshot_20191106-183153~2.png

Screenshot_20191106-183836.png

Screenshot_20191106-183647.png

When you have spare cash, upgrade RO. Get IBC static tank to filter into and submersible pump. Get baffled tank for vehicle and small submersible to fill backpack. Eventually get pump, controller, battery, Hosereel and convert to a van mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't go for a clx27 myself - I have one and at full length it is heavy and requires a lot of back strength. Go for a SLX instead if you can stretch the money just a bit further.

CLX is fine for 1st floor windows (as long as they're not above an extension) however for 2nd floor (esp at awkward angles) it's a bit of a menace. Not just because of the length and weight but because it's also very flexible which means you spend quite a lot of time waiting for it to stop moving about before having the brush head (back) where you need it - which when struggling to hold at an awkward angle doesn't do you much good unless your spine is solid steel.

Also for about £28 you can get 6 barrels instead of two. As a backpacker you'll need to be able to carry extra water about with you - more than 2 barrels as some jobs will take you an age to clean. If you only buy two then you'll have one at home filling up from the RO and the other in use - so just the back pack and one spare barrel and on some jobs you can get through 2.5 easily sometimes more!

I think all in i probably spent about £500 on my initial back pack, pole, brush head and hose, six barrels but soon found myself needing other really annoying bits that were so incredibly important i can't remember what any of them were lol. Total i think was about £700.. and every month i got insurance going out at £15...

Check out spotless waters website too just in case you got one nearby - they'll give you free credit for joining which will let you effectively do your first few jobs cost free of water - which will then pay for barrels and the RO (be warned some of those ROs are very slow to produce pure and waste a LOT of water). If you have a local spotless filling station you really would be better off using that.

For a very tight budget of £500 I would buy a Gardiner's Backpack, clx 27, basic RO, barrels.

Basic but will do the job. The RO can be upgraded as needs be later on with better/more membranes.

View attachment 18259

View attachment 18260

View attachment 18261

View attachment 18262

View attachment 18263

When you have spare cash, upgrade RO. Get IBC static tank to filter into and submersible pump. Get baffled tank for vehicle and small submersible to fill backpack. Eventually get pump, controller, battery, Hosereel and convert to a van mount.
Surely that R/O is going to be useless?, I have a tap tds of 70ppm and my 450gpd R/O produces 001ppm at the moment and it takes around 8-9 hours this time of the year to produce 350ltrs, that R/O is going to take days to produce enough water for decent a days work, better off buying one from https://daqua.co.uk/ro_systems.htm @MrRon a quick phone call with Doug will tell you exactly what you need and he only sells you what you need.

Surely that R/O is going to be useless?, I have a tap tds of 70ppm and my 450gpd R/O produces 001ppm at the moment and it takes around 8-9 hours this time of the year to produce 350ltrs, that R/O is going to take days to produce enough water for decent a days work, better off buying one from https://daqua.co.uk/ro_systems.htm @MrRon a quick phone call with Doug will tell you exactly what you need and he only sells you what you need.
I agree, much better to get a top notch RO from Doug. However.. that's not playing by the rules! ?

Is it possible to clean windows wfp with a £500 starting budget? Yes it's possible. Not as good as a £1000 setup, or a £10,000 setup but it will get you started.

The RO pictured isn't suitable for the job really, but if you don't have the luxury of buying a better one straight away, I still contend that it's a better investment than buying your water in.

In real world conditions, it should fill a 25l barrel in about 3.5hrs (or if you drop on a cheap IBC it could fill it in a week). Assuming it's not a great membrane, it'll probably reduce the 200ppm input to 12. It has a resin chamber that will then reduce it to zero. The thing is though, ROs are modular. So that £89.99 isn't wasted. For £27.99 you can buy a 100gpd upgrade kit. That would then produce water twice as fast. Further down the line, you could swap out for 2 axeon membranes for £70ish that would probably reduce your tap water down to 6ppm pre resin. You could convert it to 3 stage pre-filtration with minimal expense.

I agree it's not great, and it would only work if you were building up a business slowly with few customers, not converting a large existing round, in which case definitely buy a decent setup from the start, or if you can't afford it, save longer.

I agree, much better to get a top notch RO from Doug. However.. that's not playing by the rules! ?

Is it possible to clean windows wfp with a £500 starting budget? Yes it's possible. Not as good as a £1000 setup, or a £10,000 setup but it will get you started.

The RO pictured isn't suitable for the job really, but if you don't have the luxury of buying a better one straight away, I still contend that it's a better investment than buying your water in.

In real world conditions, it should fill a 25l barrel in about 3.5hrs (or if you drop on a cheap IBC it could fill it in a week). Assuming it's not a great membrane, it'll probably reduce the 200ppm input to 12. It has a resin chamber that will then reduce it to zero. The thing is though, ROs are modular. So that £89.99 isn't wasted. For £27.99 you can buy a 100gpd upgrade kit. That would then produce water twice as fast. Further down the line, you could swap out for 2 axeon membranes for £70ish that would probably reduce your tap water down to 6ppm pre resin. You could convert it to 3 stage pre-filtration with minimal expense.

I agree it's not great, and it would only work if you were building up a business slowly with few customers, not converting a large existing round, in which case definitely buy a decent setup from the start, or if you can't afford it, save longer.
What rules ? I had a feeling you would come back with a well worded reply as I have you down as been smarter than the average bear  ? 

View attachment 18259

View attachment 18260

View attachment 18261

View attachment 18262

View attachment 18263

Would you also require a DI vessel and resin to scrub the water finally?

I got confused by same thing, phone Gardiners, speak to Emma and she will talk you through every option amd explain it so its idiot proof.

I got backpack pole brush n hose for £336.95.

I think to get everything under 500 eill be a struggle though as the bits soon mount up.

The tanks and ro systems are not cheap.

If say you need £800/1000 total and thats for the cheaper stuff.

My costs are mounting fairly quickly
Hey Mr Ron.

Its far from an easy choice too make,with so many different options available.Its confusing & frustrating too.

If i could make a suggestion:

- I hope you make a good choice for your WFP.Rather than the Ro/DI Resin kits (not cheap)...Check out SPOTLESS WATER Fillling Stations!...They May have one near you?...All youve to do is buy the water butts to fill up 25 Litres per container..Get your WFP then your rolling!...The best of Luck with it all.

Cheers

Pane.

What rules ? I had a feeling you would come back with a well worded reply as I have you down as been smarter than the average bear  ? 
Thanks! I think... ? (how smart is the average bear exactly?)

I just can't resist a good hypothetical problem- that is, can it be done? I actually recon you could do it even cheaper using a resin chamber plugged into an outdoor tap going straight to your pole.

But I think I should make clear that in a real life situation (not armchair theories), I would do myself exactly what you and others on here have suggested- that is buy decent kit to start with, or find a way to get the money.

I think many windys on here who are doing well in their business understand that you have to spend money to make money. Your income is far more important to your profit than your expenses and buying equipment not fit for purpose is false economy if it limits your earning potential.

Would you also require a DI vessel and resin to scrub the water finally?
It comes with a 1L chamber. Which won't last long at 12-14ppm unfortunately.

I just can't resist a good hypothetical problem- that is, can it be done? I actually recon you could do it even cheaper using a resin chamber plugged into an outdoor tap going straight to your pole.

But I think I should make clear that in a real life situation (not armchair theories), I would do myself exactly what you and others on here have suggested- that is buy decent kit to start with, or find a way to get the money.

I think many windys on here who are doing well in their business understand that you have to spend money to make money. Your income is far more important to your profit than your expenses and buying equipment not fit for purpose is false economy if it limits your earning potential.

It comes with a 1L chamber. Which won't last long at 12-14ppm unfortunately.
Im struggling with a 50 litre trolley & 4 x 25 litre water butes...150 litres lasting 1 - 2 days when clients flow...thats using Spotless Filling Stations..on Tap.

About as smart as Yogi ?, I am not the most practical person and stumped by most things, so generally a smart problem solver who can turn his hands to most things and overcome challenges, I consider smarter than the average bear 

download.jpg

Latest Posts

Back