Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting out!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jandrew

Hi Guys, I’ve been wanting to start a window cleaning business for few years now and I think it’s time to do something about it!

My current dilemma is what kit I do and don’t need, I want to do WFP and there seems to be so many options out there with all these different attachments that I may or may not need.

So what I need to know is what is the most basic but effective equipment I can buy? I learn better by doing things so I figure if I can get a kit that can do basic domestic cleans, then I will be able to learn what attachments/brushes I need from there.

I don’t currently have a vehicle so I will be walking most of my route. I have around £500-£1000 to invest in my first portable WFP system.
What I think I need is :
1 pole that can reach third story windows.
1 or 2 different types of brush heads?
Any extra attachments recommended?

Then the system itself that provides the pure water. Or I was thinking of getting one of these backpacks where you add the pure water yourself, opinions on these starting out?

I hope everything I said makes sense.
Any advice will be massively appreciated!

I have one 25ft pole and one brush that I use for almost everything. The only attachment I have is a 6 ft extension that I use on a couple of jobs.
I wouldn’t get one until you get a job that requires it though.
I like to keep it simple if possible.

You need to set your heart on a small van so you can advertise on it. Even if you turn up in van and pull out a backpack and wfp then the customer will accept it as normal. Then you save up and buy a van system and slowly put it all together. You will not realise the money you will go through when starting up.

Welcome.
First thing first, this sort of question is asked on a weekly basis so there are lots of answers here on the forum just use the search at top right.
Second, spend lots and lots of time reading this forum, virtually everything you need to know is here.

A few things to consider, when you first clean a house you use maybe twice as much water as regular cleans, so a 3 bed semi might need 30 to 40 litres of water. So that's 30-40kg to transport just for 1 job!

As for a pole Gardiners are probably the most popular. Length wise it depends on the properties you want to clean i.e. Victorian 3 story are significantly higher than a 3 story town house. Then there are conservatories to reach over to get second floor windows! Plus a longer pole is heavier, so more tiring to use and more strain on your body.

As for pure water production then Reverse Osmosis (RO) Systems and Water Filters with Axeon Membranes is a good quality place to start - but you really need to know your water pressure and the TDS readings (so you might need a water pressure gauge from screwfix/toolstation and a decent HM TDS meter from a reputable source as there are fakes out there!!!! so avoid ebay and amazon!) RO systems need decent pressure ideally 50psi or above.

One other thing to consider is Public Liability Insurance!! What would happen if you dropped your pole on someone's car!!!! Just remember that waving a 27ft pole about isn't that easy to control until you have experience, it's easy to make a slight mistake and damage something!

Hopefully that has given you things to think about and research. I'm not trying to put you off but enable you to understand a bit more about things.

Hi Guys, I’ve been wanting to start a window cleaning business for few years now and I think it’s time to do something about it!

My current dilemma is what kit I do and don’t need, I want to do WFP and there seems to be so many options out there with all these different attachments that I may or may not need.

So what I need to know is what is the most basic but effective equipment I can buy? I learn better by doing things so I figure if I can get a kit that can do basic domestic cleans, then I will be able to learn what attachments/brushes I need from there.

I don’t currently have a vehicle so I will be walking most of my route. I have around £500-£1000 to invest in my first portable WFP system.
What I think I need is :

Then the system itself that provides the pure water. Or I was thinking of getting one of these backpacks where you add the pure water yourself, opinions on these starting out?

You haven't got a hope in hell without wheels mate IMO..

If I were you id go and get a job with another window cleaner for 12 months,save every penny I could so I could get myself a little van and system,business cards and sign writing and go from there....

You haven't got a hope in hell without wheels mate IMO..

If I were you id go and get a job with another window cleaner for 12 months,save every penny I could so I could get myself a little van and system,business cards and sign writing and go from there....
yep completely agree, Ive just started, I have backpack and use 20 litre containers, heavy work with a van!

Have you considered going traditional, just to get you started?

Of course you're right to be thinking about what kit you need and your budget for it, but what about your customers? Where are they going to come from?

Of course you're right to be thinking about what kit you need and your budget for it, but what about your customers? Where are they going to come from?
Hi, that’s a good question…
Family and friends would be some of my first customers. Im also planning on knocking door to door and posting leaflets (only once I have the kit to do the cleans). I also know of a few areas that are neglected when it comes to window cleaners, from conversations I gather they have the unreliable cleaners that show up every few months when they can be bothered or need the extra cash.
There is another potential customer I could get if I had all the right equipment, it’s a HUGE property that’s still In development and would be an amazing job to get early on.

What I think I need is :

I'm sorry but trying to start a wfp window cleaning round without a vehicle is like wanting to be a window cleaner without arms.

I've know a trad cleaner many years ago who worked a compact round near his house without a car, but I would think that would not have be doable if his round wasn't compact.

I'll be honest i started my round in a small car and regret it every day now..

Had i started in a van it would have grown quicker and the faffing about on foot between cleans is not what you want when you first start out, it's June in a day or so and you want to start in the summer...

Sorry but You will not be able to carry the volume of water needed to run WFP while on foot.. One backpack will only do one house properly and it's a struggle to make that happen.

I might just consider that you get a regular job until you have a van in your hands I don't say that to be offensive just honest...

customers are happy to pay you in the summer things change quickly when the weather closes in during winter, your whole round could just fold if you don't have a car or van.

You will soon find that there are plenty of window cleaners about and getting work can be a real grind made 100 times harder on foot in the rain and the snow, it will demoralize even the most staunch window cleaner...

I feel compelled to ask, why do you want to be a window cleaner ?

What I think I need is :

You need a mode of transport for starters, not sure how you are going to do WFP and backpack on foot? You would need to keep going back home to refill your backpack every house or so. Definitely invest in car/van first.

Hi, that’s a good question…
Family and friends would be some of my first customers. Im also planning on knocking door to door and posting leaflets (only once I have the kit to do the cleans). I also know of a few areas that are neglected when it comes to window cleaners, from conversations I gather they have the unreliable cleaners that show up every few months when they can be bothered or need the extra cash.
There is another potential customer I could get if I had all the right equipment, it’s a HUGE property that’s still In development and would be an amazing job to get early on.
Fairplay to you and door to door canvassing is the best way to get customers quickly. Once you're up and running don't forget an online presence which you can do without any expense - Google My Business (now called Business Profile), Bing Places, Yell etc etc. Try and get (Google) reviews asap and on a regular ongoing basis and you could rank highly on GMB.
If you're so inclined you could think about making your own free website - use WordPress. The only mandatory ongoing cost is hosting and you can buy a domain name very cheaply and under a tenner.. I know it's easy to dismiss website stuff as too difficult, but you don't need any kind of IT background.
Anyway, more to the point I have to agree with others about a vehicle. If I were you the £500-1000 you have for kit I'd use for a car/van. Don't worry about making your own pure and buy from Spotless or any other company close by. Then the only essentials are a backpack and cheap pole to start with.
I think you can get a water Genie for about £99. They can be wheeled about or used as a backpack. I had 1 for softwashing and it was a real bargain I thought..
I've spent far more on other trolley systems and they were no better. It lasted me for some time despite all the hypo pumping through it.
That and a basic pole to start with and you're off. Upgrade when the business starts growing and you've got money coming in. Customers don't know and don't care what pole you use as long as it's functional and does the job. You don't need anything flash and if things go well it doesn't need to last forever and you can replace it with something better and lighter.

Latest Posts

Back