Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

WFP rotting window frames

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I have and will continue to ask if they dry them after rain. Usually after looking at the glass, I ask who's job it is to clean off paint splash on said windows. I do lots of old houses in villages with wooden windows. Lost or walked from a few over it. You have to be honest and show the customer on some of the real old houses that any cleaning is going to damage already rotten flakey frames. So jobs just aren't worth it. Some customers just aren't wort it either. On the plus side, Cleaning up after said painter is a delicate carful job at £60 per hour thank you so much. How many windows do you have again. [emoji57]

Thanks for all the replies, have learned a lot from this conversation [emoji3]

I sent a basic text or the customer explaining a lot less water is used on repeat cleans and the similarities between pure water and the rain. They said thanks and signed back up.

Will keep an eye on this and consider the state if frames in the future.

Thanks again for all the info.

Rob.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I’ve taken two houses off the rounds in the last week or so. The frames really are just falling to bits or single panes with cracks in. There’s another 3 or 4 houses i’d like to take off the rounds ideally, for the same reasons. In the grand scheme of things it will make little difference to income as thankfully we dont have too many of them. Reading this post had made me consider the potential problems they could cause. they’re not worth doing. It would take a decade or more of cleaning before you even come close to the cost of these things

Went to one of my customers today, big old house. Like a stately home when you walk inside. Lovely people, never a problem. All original leaded windows. Diamond shaped glass. Paintwork is shot. Should have been done years ago. I turn up today. The childrens nanny, got my message this morning frantically trying to ring me to say the painters were around.
I said thank goodness. The paintwork has needed doing for a while now. 2 old guys, over 70 years of age, were doing it. One was ok, the other typical now it all. Straight away, blaming the pure water system and my soft bristle brush for scratching the paint off the frames and glass. I ****** myself laughing. I asked him how he gets dried on gloss off the glass. With a stainless steel blade or a brush. The other guy tries to tell me that the paint doesn't adhere properly to the glass. Really, i ask.
The other one. The know it all says. You might aswell just hose the windows down.
Thank you for my way in to explain how the system works.
Know it all looks at me confused. So I say, i bet your a leather and scrim man, yeah he says you can't beat it. Oh dear, i use a damp scrimp and microfiber, when doing the insides. Harder work, but no better than pure water. So I said I know, bloody technology eh!
I said anyway, what are you doing driving this new fangled motor vehicle. You should be riding around on a horse and cart. Anyway gotta go and earn some money. Give my best to the flat earth society meeting, the next time your there.
SPEECHLESS.

Wooden and metal window frames are ok cleaned with WFP only if they have been maintained and are in good order.
If they are not, then you are only going to have problems moving forward.
Flaky and old paintwork leads to bits of paint in your brush, bits of paint on the glass and white oxidised water.
The few remaining wooden and metal frames left out there, should be in good condition or really have come to the end and should be replaced.

Back